Spellbreaker dagger/shield vs. mace/shield +gs

SkyFurY.6057

From what little I played spellbreaker during the demo (I hate the idea of playing the demo what if my precursor drops then), it seemed more fun than mace to play, it seemed to have a more natural rhythm to the skill order on dagger, VS the other one handed weapons. It just felt like it had more synergy with itself vs the other dual wield weapons(and I'm talking dagger/dagger vs mace/mace, axe/axe, or sword/sword), dagger 2-3-4 just seems to have a natural flow vs the others..

The problem with D/S is that without that second dagger you are losing out on one of the best combos Dagger can provide, Disrupting Stab and Wastrel's Ruin. Yes, you do get higher AA damage, but don't forget that the Counterattack on Mace hits hard as well and it lets you reflect ranged attacks when traited.

My vote would be for M/S being more useful as a result. Daggers are good, but I think they are stronger together. What is funny is that M/d could be good because the stun sets up Wastrel's.

@BurrTheKing.8571 said:The problem with D/S is that without that second dagger you are losing out on one of the best combos Dagger can provide, Disrupting Stab and Wastrel's Ruin.

Hf vs +1

@BurrTheKing.8571 said:Yes, you do get higher AA damage, but don't forget that the Counterattack on Mace hits hard as well and it lets you reflect ranged attacks when traited.

My vote would be for M/S being more useful as a result. Daggers are good, but I think they are stronger together. What is funny is that M/d could be good because the stun sets up Wastrel's.

Berserker traded dmg by having ridiculous numbers. Spellbreaker wins trades by not letting them trade back in the first place. Constant pressure and sticking to target is far more important than a 1 sec stun to dmg with moderate numbers.

@Obindo.6802 said:

@BurrTheKing.8571 said:The problem with D/S is that without that second dagger you are losing out on one of the best combos Dagger can provide, Disrupting Stab and Wastrel's Ruin.

Hf vs +1

@BurrTheKing.8571 said:Yes, you do get higher AA damage, but don't forget that the Counterattack on Mace hits hard as well and it lets you reflect ranged attacks when traited.

Berserker traded dmg by having ridiculous numbers. Spellbreaker wins trades by not letting them trade back in the first place. Constant pressure and sticking to target is far more important than a 1 sec stun to dmg with moderate numbers.

This exactly. Played about 30hrs of spellbreaker on the beta weekend and GS+D/SH ended up being the option I used most.

Pros of dagger were:

• 2 leaps to stay on target
  • Higher auto attack damage
  • Stun on #3 if target is casting
  • Most important 1 is dagger F1 is far superior. 450 range leap with more damage, removes 2 boons, and is unblockable is huge. F1 and F2 being unblockable in this weapon set is insanely strong. Include Attacker's Insight in the conversation and its really not close.

@ButterPeanut.9746 said:

@Obindo.6802 said:

Hf vs +1

This exactly. Played about 30hrs of spellbreaker on the beta weekend and GS+D/SH ended up being the option I used most.

Pros of dagger were:
  • Most important 1 is dagger F1 is far superior. 450 range leap with more damage, removes 2 boons, and is unblockable is huge. F1 and F2 being unblockable in this weapon set is insanely strong. Include Attacker's Insight in the conversation and its really not close.

I don't think the combination is bad by any means, and you're right shield is great when focused, The set just feels weird without the Disrupting Stab and Wastrel's Ruin combo.

@ButterPeanut.9746 said:

@Obindo.6802 said:

Hf vs +1

Pros of dagger were:

What armor and runes did you end up running if i may ask?

@Essa.5826 said:

@ButterPeanut.9746 said:

@Obindo.6802 said:

Hf vs +1

Pros of dagger were:

What armor and runes did you end up running if i may ask?

I tried a ton of stuff, but ended on demolisher/strength runes. I'm sure there will be lots of folks playing around at launch with different stuff to find the 'meta'.

If it were a pure single target style game, I actually really enjoyed d/sh+m/d. This gave you both offense and defense on both weapon sets. But GS ended up being so strong and valuable with spellbreaker that I ended the weekend playing d/Sh+GS mostly.

@Noopleh.1829 said:Hammer+GS for WvW is disgustingly good.

For roaming Dagger/Shield + GS imo. Spellbreaker lacks mobility and although it has 2 leaps, I usually found myself being kited around easily.

I ran Berserker + Strength runes

Exactly, I'm surprised nobody expressed the suggestion of Hammer on spellbreaker as it makes skill 4 (Staggering blow) and skill 5 (Backbreaker) more potent.

The skill 5 on mace offhand (Tremor) also become much more potent.

Hammer T1 burst and mace mainhand T1 burst both stun , but Hammer has AoE and a blast. Greatsword's T1 does the same damage as T3 burst but with less fury (not much of a problem).

I feel as though dagger would be more susceptible to _retaliation _due to faster attack speed , even if it would blow through aegis faster.

I've tested several things on spellbreaker in the beta, and i ended up with D/D + A/Sh. perfect mobility, high burst, ok survive, and nearly never had problem to close up to any opponent. Mesmers, Thiefs, and many of guardians just melted in secs agains D/D, and A/Sh had enough deffence till the CDs are gone. Great gap closers. My final build was marauder with eagle runes, but wurm was good too.

I really think in PvP your gonna want d/d. They are made for each other. Dagger 3 and 4 have same CD and are an obvious combo. Dagger 5 is solid damage and reflects while still letting you move. Add in the heal on crit that can be obtained with the trait and dagger off hand is looking pretty strong. Only weak attack across dagger is the 2 skill

Archived