White Mantel Portal device

The white mantel portal device often opens the portal right after setting it up (due to user mistake or hardware faults, like mouse randomly doing double clicks). A short internal cooldown would fix this so you can no longer accidently open it right away. No harm would be done since there is no point in instantly opening a portal after setting it up.

@"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:It probably should be an optional and/or tunable feature, and in my opinion, adding "slowdown" features to accommodate defective hardware is a mistake.

except it does not slow down anything, just preventing the waste of a 1800s cooldown itemor is there any application where you would need to open the portal in a fraction of a second after setting the initial entry point? I dont think so

and it is not just me who has this problem, i see it happen all the time to people in 100cm where the meta involves using 3 of these portals

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:It probably should be an optional and/or tunable feature, and in my opinion, adding "slowdown" features to accommodate defective hardware is a mistake.

except it does not slow down anything, just preventing the waste of a 1800s cooldown itemor is there any application where you would need to open the portal in a fraction of a second after setting the initial entry point? I dont think so

and it is not just me who has this problem, i see it happen all the time to people in 100cm where the meta involves using 3 of these portals

OK, but it should still be tunable (that is, a settings slider somewhere so that people can open or close the internal cooldown). Leaving aside the question of defective mouse buttons, the threshold of "too short" versus "too long" is going to be a per-person thing, so a slider is essential. (There's a separate argument about whether correct use of this item is part of the bundle of "skill" that's an essential part of playing at the 100CM level. I'm not going to comment on that because the highest Fractal level I've done is 5 or 6.)

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:It probably should be an optional and/or tunable feature, and in my opinion, adding "slowdown" features to accommodate defective hardware is a mistake.

OK, but it should still be tunable (that is, a settings slider somewhere so that people can open or close the internal cooldown). Leaving aside the question of defective mouse buttons, the threshold of "too short" versus "too long" is going to be a per-person thing, so a slider is essential. (There's a separate argument about whether correct use of this item is part of the bundle of "skill" that's an essential part of playing at the 100CM level. I'm not going to comment on that because the highest Fractal level I've done is 5 or 6.)

For situations like this ANet uses a default cooldown of 1 second. You can see this on enigneer kits and mesmer portals for example.

While a slider would be preferrable for people like you and me, there are a lot of people who are already overwhelmed by the amount of options in the game. So unless there is a good argument to why you would have to open the second portal less than a second after the first one or why you would need more than 1 second cooldown, ANet should just apply the default cooldown they usually use.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:It probably should be an optional and/or tunable feature, and in my opinion, adding "slowdown" features to accommodate defective hardware is a mistake.

For situations like this ANet uses a default cooldown of 1 second. You can see this on enigneer kits and mesmer portals for example.

While a slider would be preferrable for people like you and me, there are a lot of people who are already overwhelmed by the amount of options in the game. So unless there is a good argument to why you would have to open the second portal less than a second after the first one or why you would need more than 1 second cooldown, ANet should just apply the default cooldown they usually use.

OK, that sounds reasonable.

Archived