Where is it ok to buy gems — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Where is it ok to buy gems

Does anyone know if theres sites where its not ok to buy gem codes?
I know gamestop sells, and g2p, cd keys and so on.
I just wanna make sure i dont do something wrong.

Tagged:
<1

Comments

• Myrdreth.6829Myrdreth.6829 Member ✭✭✭

Why would you want to buy gems on another site rather than directly ingame?

• Maikimaik.1974Maikimaik.1974 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2018

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

Because it's way cheaper.

...and that's allowed? o.o

• Klipso.8653Klipso.8653 Member ✭✭✭

Only on the gem store currency exchange

-Balwarc [ICoa]

@moonstarmac.4603 said:
    Gem Cards from Authorized retailers have the same value equivalent as buying through the game directly...at least in the US. It still breaks down to where 400Gems = $5US.
    It may seem like a better deal but that illusion shatters once you do the math. Outside of an Authorized dealer (WalMart, GameStop, BestBuy, etc) or directly from ArenaNet in game...I wouldn't chance it.

That's what I thought.

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:
    ANet has an official list of retailers where it's safe to buy their stuff. Can be expansions, gem-cards or anything else they're selling.
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/

For any other website or retailer it's always on your own risk. I'd especially stay clear of any market-places that buy their keys from various sources. In any case: If the offer seems too good to be true, it probably is.

This page is so outdated there are dead links, links to pages that no longer sell any GW2 or only the expansions or game guides and only very rarely can you find one that sells gem cards and they sell them above the suggested retail price. I especially love the one that has the picture with the price 24.99 on it and they sell it for 28.99. For comparison the 24.99 one matches the GW2 pricing in game.

So this page is UTTERLY useless. And since ArenaNet doesn't seem to want to maintain a network for this then they clearly have the monopoly of price. I think their prices are too high so when I buy gems I go to third party sites. I avoid the ones that I know are bad news or I don't trust for various reasons but all in all their pricing is not ridiculously low and certainly more fair than ArenaNet's prices. I think that 19 Euros for 2000 gems is already very pricey considering what it actually gets you, let alone having to pay 20 Euros for 1600 gems in game.

Everybody has to make their own decisions in this. I know people may fear losing what they built up here over the years but if that fear pushes you to accepting ridiculous prices then ArenaNet does have you by the proverbial round things. I'd rather not play this game than be in that situation frankly, if it were to come to that. So far the codes I got were good and so I'm good.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Just buy in game or physically in a store like GAME/Gamestop. Simply is not worth the potential problems should you end up with a dodgy code

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:
    For any other website or retailer it's always on your own risk.

It's generally more than "at your own risk," because it's against the rules to buy gems (or the game) outside of authorized sites. There are no authorized "resellers" of keys or gems.

@Gehenna.3625 wrote:
    This page is so outdated there are dead links, links to pages that no longer sell any GW2 or only the expansions or game guides and only very rarely can you find one that sells gem cards and they sell them above the suggested retail price. I especially love the one that has the picture with the price 24.99 on it and they sell it for 28.99. For comparison the 24.99 one matches the GW2 pricing in game.

Then please be specific about which sites and what's wrong so that ANet can fix it.

Sometimes the website will be accurate but the retailer frequently runs low on stock (in the US and Canada, for example, Target & Bestbuy have often been listed as sites to buy gem cards even though you could hardly even find them in the store; they simply didn't sell enough that most managers prioritized keeping them out on the floor for purchase).

There's no defense for having dead links, but unless someone at ANet checks every day, it's inevitable that stuff will get stale. If the retailer doesn't tell them about a site update or policy change, they won't know for a while. A simple support ticket gives ANet an opportunity to fix it.

With all due respect, but it's not up to me to do their job for them. I will tell you this though, as far as the EU is concerned it's better they scrap them and start over. I know some of these sites as I use them also for other games and they haven't had GW2 stuff stocked for ages now. Not a matter of being out of stock temporarily.

This is not a matter of them checking it every day, but considering how long some of these sites don't actually even stock the game anymore, I'd say they haven't done a thorough check probably in at least a year. I'll give you one example. I filtered on Netherlands (my country) and I got 5 results. One site sells gem cards but more expensive than the gems in game. Another site sells HoT for 45 Euros, which is also more expensive than here. One site sell only GW2 game guides, but not the game and no gem cards either. And the remaining two have nothing at all. And I'd say this is pretty representative for the EU countries from what I could tell.

If it had just been on or two issues I'd list them, but this list has just been neglected.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭✭

Don't buy gems from any website. Buy them from the in-game purchase option, or in person from places like Walmart.

• Amaranthe.3578Amaranthe.3578 Member ✭✭✭

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

Isnt it extreme stupid? xD

@moonstarmac.4603 said:
    Gem Cards from Authorized retailers have the same value equivalent as buying through the game directly...at least in the US. It still breaks down to where 400Gems = $5US.
    It may seem like a better deal but that illusion shatters once you do the math. Outside of an Authorized dealer (WalMart, GameStop, BestBuy, etc) or directly from ArenaNet in game...I wouldn't chance it.

Doesnt seem that way
    a person here linked a sitet that sells 2000 gems for 20$
    Which is 25% cheaper

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

It's risky and most likely against the rules. But I would never call somebody stupid who's trying to save money.

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

It's risky and most likely against the rules. But I would never call somebody stupid who's trying to save money.

What I meant is that the fact that thete are vendors(that dont steal) that sell gems cheaper than the game itself is stupid.

• As Gaile said, either directly in game or from a box store (Walmart, Gamestop, etc). Don't trust the sites offering major discounted prices. I do remember the 'scam' that ran around in the early days. If you are able to acquire gems at the lower price via these sites, and the codes work...great assuming Anet doesn't care. But if you are scammed and the codes don't work, there isn't anything they can do to help.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

What I meant is that the fact that thete are vendors(that dont steal) that sell gems cheaper than the game itself is stupid.

Why? The cheaper something is the more likely it's going to be bought. So by making something slightly cheaper you could potentially earn more.

• Tanner Blackfeather.6509Tanner Blackfeather.6509 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2018

@Gehenna.3625 said:

So this page is UTTERLY useless.

@Gaile Gray.6029
    This is a problem though. The list of authorized retailers is very poorly maintained, at least among nordic countries but I suspect it's quite general.

Several of the links to retailers in my country (Sweden) lead to HoT pre-purchase items! Of the 8 retailers, only 2 stock anything GW2 related, and just one actually stocks the game! (one more still shows out-of-stock search hits)

• I'd rather support the game I love that has NO monthly fee and buy it 9gems) straight from in-game and the game, straight from their website.

I don't see a reason to be a cheap-o on a game with ZERO monthly fee.

Characters: Iiri Ventari, Sylvari - Scourge; Ralistu, Asura - Mirage; Olaf Sifhalla, Norn - Dragonhunter; Jahin Vabb, Sylvari - Renegade; Shonek Alcazia, Human - Weaver (Tempest soonish).
    Backburner: Englaka, Asura - Ranger. Ikotag, Charr - Thief

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

Why? The cheaper something is the more likely it's going to be bought. So by making something slightly cheaper you could potentially earn more.

The retailers have to get the gem codes from ArenaNet.
    ArenaNet gives them a volume discount that allows the retailers to make a profit.
    If the retailers are able to undercut ArenaNet by a large margin and STILL make a profit, then ArenaNet was stupid with their pricing model.
    Ergo, if you see a deeply discounted gem code, the three most likely scenarios (in order of likelihood) are:
    1. No one is buying gem codes, so the retailer is selling at a loss/no profit point to recoup some of their money.
    2. The retailer is selling illegitimate codes that were either stolen or purchased with a stolen credit card and because it cost them nothing, are able to sell it for a cheap price.
    3. ArenaNet was very bad at their pricing model and thus went bankrupt 6 years ago (seems unlikely without some form of time travel).

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

It makes zero sense for a-net to sell gems cheaper than in-game since thats the best place for them to sell it.

@Ralistu.1965 said:
    I'd rather support the game I love that has NO monthly fee and buy it 9gems) straight from in-game and the game, straight from their website.

That's fine but I really have to admit I do not understand people like you. The monthly fee you are so against is a pittance compared to what you spend on gems I'll bet. So to me what you're saying is this:

"I have no problems spending hundreds or thousands a year on the gem store because they don't have a sub which would cost me 140 bucks a year."

It's like you're so happy that you don't have to pay that basic sub fee that you willingly spend 3, 4, 10 times as much instead. And I know you're not alone in that but I just don't get that. To each their own of course and I'm not here to tell you to stop but to me that makes players like you willing thieves of their own wallets.

edited October 10, 2018

@Ralistu.1965 said:
    I'd rather support the game I love that has NO monthly fee and buy it 9gems) straight from in-game and the game, straight from their website.

While I totally agree and I am too paranoid to buy anywhere else some of these sites offer price 25-30% cheaper than in game which is rather enticing.

• @Gehenna.3625 said:

@Ralistu.1965 said:

That's fine but I really have to admit I do not understand people like you. The monthly fee you are so against is a pittance compared to what you spend on gems I'll bet. So to me what you're saying is this:

"I have no problems spending hundreds or thousands a year on the gem store because they don't have a sub which would cost me 140 bucks a year."

It's like you're so happy that you don't have to pay that basic sub fee that you willingly spend 3, 4, 10 times as much instead. And I know you're not alone in that but I just don't get that. To each their own of course and I'm not here to tell you to stop but to me that makes players like you willing thieves of their own wallets.

The difference being that one month you may have the extra income to buy some gems and another you might be having to save your money, but you can keep playing regardless of month-to-month expenses.

Silly creature, I wont let you die.

• Ralistu.1965Ralistu.1965 Member ✭✭
    edited October 10, 2018

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Ralistu.1965 said:

I love how you just naturally show you ignorance to the word. How do you know what I spend on gems? That's some blatant generalizations.

it's 50 bucks a year , actually, smarta$$ AND I have no problem paying market vaule for an MMO @ 140 buckjs a year. You must really love those WoW players that not only spend 140 a year, but also buy mounts and stuff.

next time. check your ignorance at the door.

I support devs, not 3rd party capitalism.

Characters: Iiri Ventari, Sylvari - Scourge; Ralistu, Asura - Mirage; Olaf Sifhalla, Norn - Dragonhunter; Jahin Vabb, Sylvari - Renegade; Shonek Alcazia, Human - Weaver (Tempest soonish).
    Backburner: Englaka, Asura - Ranger. Ikotag, Charr - Thief

@Ralistu.1965 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Ralistu.1965 said:

I love how you just naturally show you ignorance to the word. How do you know what I spend on gems? That's some blatant generalizations.

it's 50 bucks a year , actually, smarta$$ AND I have no problem paying market vaule for an MMO @ 140 buckjs a year. You must really love those WoW players that not only spend 140 a year, but also buy mounts and stuff.

You certainly made it sound like you spend lavish amounts on gems without a thought but if I misinterpreted that, then I am happy to accept I misunderstood you. However, a misinterpretation is hardly reason for the tone you use here and the ad hominems you throw at me here. Also I know there are people who spend a lot more than a sub every month and have the same thoughts about it. So sorry for thinking you were one of them. It just sounded like that to me.

But really, your language and aggression are unwarranted. I truly don't get players who spend more than a sub and think it's great that there's no sub and they can spend more. So again, if that's not you, then sorry, but it just sounded to me like you were.

If it's 50 bucks a year then clearly you get a better deal. But for 50 bucks in gems I can't even get the bank space and inventory space I do get in sub games. So if I want to have that experience of having that storage space then for me a sub is a better deal than GW2.

And that's not even taking into account all the cosmetics stuff like outfits and mounts. I'm not even talking about that. Even just comparing bank and inventory space and not having to spend money on gathering tools makes a sub cheaper for me personally.

So that's where it's at for me. Nothing more.

@Midnight.7526 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Ralistu.1965 said:

The difference being that one month you may have the extra income to buy some gems and another you might be having to save your money, but you can keep playing regardless of month-to-month expenses.

Well you could also buy more months of sub when you have the money so you can ease off on other months. But hey, as I said, if people want it that way that's fine. I just have a hard time understanding why people are happy to pay more than a sub because it's not in the form of a sub. Not even cosmetics but just inventory bags and stuff like that. With a sub you have all that or can buy it easily with in game currency. So for me a sub is worth it already just because of that.

• Zeefa.3915Zeefa.3915 Member ✭✭✭

I would never ever buy gems from anywhere outside of the game itself or authorised retailers. Its just not worth the risk. I also want to be sure that the money I spend on the game actually goes to support it.

Im one of those people that are very happy there is no sub, I don't like that concept for playing a game. But no I do not spend more on gems than a sub would cost... quite far from it. I might buy gems 2-4 times a year and always at the lower amounts.

Terribly sorry to say that I think it is a bit dumb to buy from unauthorised sites. Trying to save money might not be dumb at all, but when it leads to taking silly risks... it kinda gets there. Ofc. thats just my opinion and Im not going to stop anyone from doing their own thing.

• If you went into a restaurant and the food was good, and the waitress was nice, it is not unreasonable to leave a 15-20% tip.

Why? To let the waitress know that you were appreciative of the experience.

So, why not do the same in GW2? Buy some gems now and then (maybe every two to four months?).

Over the (soon to be) six years of playing this game, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from this game, and I am not afraid to let Anet know.

• edited October 10, 2018

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029
    This is a problem though. The list of authorized retailers is very poorly maintained, at least among nordic countries but I suspect it's quite general.

Several of the links to retailers in my country (Sweden) lead to HoT pre-purchase items! Of the 8 retailers, only 2 stock anything GW2 related, and just one actually stocks the game! (one more still shows out-of-stock search hits)

You're absolutely correct about that page. It was designed for sales of the game, and it has not been kept up to date in a long while. I've reached out to our sales team to ask if they plan to update the page, and they said it's something they want to do, but it's not something that will be caught up to date in the near future. This means that the advice I shared about specific stores is the best I can offer. I will reach out to see if there are specific Nordic vendors that we could recommend.

@Zeefa.3915 said:
    I would never ever buy gems from anywhere outside of the game itself or authorised retailers. Its just not worth the risk. I also want to be sure that the money I spend on the game actually goes to support it.

Im one of those people that are very happy there is no sub, I don't like that concept for playing a game. But no I do not spend more on gems than a sub would cost... quite far from it. I might buy gems 2-4 times a year and always at the lower amounts.

@Centurian.6571 said:
    If you went into a restaurant and the food was good, and the waitress was nice, it is not unreasonable to leave a 15-20% tip.

Why? To let the waitress know that you were appreciative of the experience.

So, why not do the same in GW2? Buy some gems now and then (maybe every two to four months?).

Over the (soon to be) six years of playing this game, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from this game, and I am not afraid to let Anet know.

Thank you both for your support! Gem purchases are never obligatory, but we do appreciate them when they fit into someone's life.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

@mtpelion.4562 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

ArenaNet gives them a volume discount that allows the retailers to make a profit.
    If the retailers are able to undercut ArenaNet by a large margin and STILL make a profit, then ArenaNet was stupid with their pricing model.
    Ergo, if you see a deeply discounted gem code, the three most likely scenarios (in order of likelihood) are:
    1. No one is buying gem codes, so the retailer is selling at a loss/no profit point to recoup some of their money.
    2. The retailer is selling illegitimate codes that were either stolen or purchased with a stolen credit card and because it cost them nothing, are able to sell it for a cheap price.
    3. ArenaNet was very bad at their pricing model and thus went bankrupt 6 years ago (seems unlikely without some form of time travel).

you forgot the fourth option.
    4. they get more profit from adds then selling items so their profit is still far better then given bought codes.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@mtpelion.4562 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

4. they get more profit from adds then selling items so their profit is still far better then given bought codes.

Thats not even an option

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029

You're absolutely correct about that page. It was designed for sales of the game, and it has not been kept up to date in a long while. I've reached out to our sales team to ask if they plan to update the page, and they said it's something they want to do, but it's not something that will be caught up to date in the near future. This means that the advice I shared about specific stores is the best I can offer. I will reach out to see if there are specific Nordic vendors that we could recommend.

The sales team can't find the time to update a site that's advertised that it sells the product. I'm not sure if I'm more saddened by it being so many years out of date, the sales team losing track of it or that they're not rushing to fix it since its a direct point for the company to make income. Wow.... just wow.....

edited October 10, 2018

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Ralistu.1965 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Ralistu.1965 said:

You certainly made it sound like you spend lavish amounts on gems without a thought but if I misinterpreted that, then I am happy to accept I misunderstood you. However, a misinterpretation is hardly reason for the tone you use here and the ad hominems you throw at me here. Also I know there are people who spend a lot more than a sub every month and have the same thoughts about it. So sorry for thinking you were one of them. It just sounded like that to me.

But really, your language and aggression are unwarranted. I truly don't get players who spend more than a sub and think it's great that there's no sub and they can spend more. So again, if that's not you, then sorry, but it just sounded to me like you were.

If it's 50 bucks a year then clearly you get a better deal. But for 50 bucks in gems I can't even get the bank space and inventory space I do get in sub games. So if I want to have that experience of having that storage space then for me a sub is a better deal than GW2.

And that's not even taking into account all the cosmetics stuff like outfits and mounts. I'm not even talking about that. Even just comparing bank and inventory space and not having to spend money on gathering tools makes a sub cheaper for me personally.

So that's where it's at for me. Nothing more.

I totally agree,I would rather pay a set amount per month and have the full game available for me in almost any MMO.
    The way GW2 works(an MMO with virtually zero gear progression where gold is the ultimate currency) I think the current model fits much better.
    Besides, companies are so greedy now that even games with a sub fee have a cash-store.
    e.g : WoW

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@mtpelion.4562 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

Thats not even an option

sorry to say this but you gotta be quite naive to think this isn't happening.

edited October 11, 2018

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@mtpelion.4562 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

Thats not even an option

sorry to say this but you gotta be quite naive to think this isn't happening.

Sorry to say but you got to be extremely naive and understand nothing of business to think that a retailer will lower prices significantly because he makes the rest from ads.
    Turn your adblock off and search for a retailer with a site thats blasted with ads....

<1
This discussion has been closed.
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.