Strength over defense in spvp?

losingcontrol.1084

Or you could do the smart thing and play core warrior with both Strength and Defense. Core warrior may be seen as inferior to Spellbreaker, the same way core ranger is seen as inferior to Soulbeast, but it's just as viable as the elite specializations and is in my opinion more fun to play than Spellbreaker. It may not have Full Counter which is a stupid crutch skill that just forces players to not attack you so you can heal yourself, but you've got the axe which is better than both the dagger and the sword and it's more exciting to see those critical numbers from a perfectly timed Eviscerate, makes you feel like a true warrior.

I think that sword in MH is too weak right now.

On paper 3 has the same damage as max adr evi, and 2 is a good gap closer.

In practice, compared to axe, sword auto attacks are horrible, they hit like wet noodle and don't apply any pressure.Whats more, the F1 is crap, and you lose evi for it.

2, while a decent gap closer and escape, is sometimes wonky, and its tracking is lacking.

hitting sword 3 without quickness is very hard, and even with it, its very clunky.

As I see, axe is far, far superior to sword in MH.

I tried to make sword work so many times (Sword/Axe, Sword/Shield...) and while it always looked good in practice and test dummies, it performed poorly in the field.

@steveraptor.9603 said:I think that sword in MH is too weak right now.

In practice, compared to axe, sword auto attacks are horrible, they hit like wet noodle and don't apply any pressure.Whats more, the F1 is crap, and you lose evi for it.

2, while a decent gap closer and escape, is sometimes wonky, and its tracking is lacking.

hitting sword 3 without quickness is very hard, and even with it, its very clunky.

I tried to make sword work so many times (Sword/Axe, Sword/Shield...) and while it always looked good in practice and test dummies, it performed poorly in the field.

you won't kill your opponents anyway (only if they suck and then you'd win with sword too). Sword is for the mobility to kite around the point and waste some time of the enemy. War can barely teamfight and is just a mediocre duelist. You have to use what you got and that is mobility with sword and gs and hopefully enough pressure that you can force your enemy of the point he is standing on so that you can decap. There is no other purpose for a warrior. Most of the times you won't be able to cap the point. You are just there to waste as much time of the enemy as possible.

@Ferus.3165 said:

you won't kill your opponents anyway (only if they suck and then you'd win with sword too). Sword is for the mobility to kite around the point and waste some time of the enemy. War can barely teamfight and is just a mediocre duelist. You have to use what you got and that is mobility with sword and gs and hopefully enough pressure that you can force your enemy of the point he is standing on so that you can decap. There is no other purpose for a warrior. Most of the times you won't be able to cap the point. You are just there to waste as much time of the enemy as possible.

Just had my placement games using gs sword shield with strength and no defense traitline, i got 8 wins 2 loss, maybe I got lucky with good teammates too, but the build seems to work, it shines in 1vs1s, i can kill standard warriors with dagger or axe pretty easily, and sword is used to kite and travel from sides nodes, which is usual your role as warrior, a side node duelist.You can't survive very long in 1vs2, but with thr mobility you got people waste a lot of time chasing you and trying to kill you.

@losingcontrol.1084 said:

@"steveraptor.9603" said:I think that sword in MH is too weak right now.

Just had my placement games using gs sword shield with strength and no defense traitline, i got 8 wins 2 loss, maybe I got lucky with good teammates too, but the build seems to work, it shines in 1vs1s, i can kill standard warriors with dagger or axe pretty easily, and sword is used to kite and travel from sides nodes, which is usual your role as warrior, a side node duelist.You can't survive very long in 1vs2, but with thr mobility you got people waste a lot of time chasing you and trying to kill you.

when you still face warriors with axe equiped your "elo" is not really high.

@Ferus.3165 said:

@"steveraptor.9603" said:I think that sword in MH is too weak right now.

when you still face warriors with axe equiped your "elo" is not really high.

Maybe, got other 3 games after placement and plat 1 currently, and the enemy where mirages, holos, core guards, reapers, firebrands, revs, warriors with my same build or dagger standard warriors, just found 1 axe warrior during placement.

@Ferus.3165 said:

My experience is different than yours.I don't know what build you are running but I can kill players on cap fairly well, and sometimes win 2v1 if its not vs mirage or scourge.You won't force anyone out of cap with a sword and shield, it does pathetic damage and has minimal kill potential which comes from sword 3, which is very hard to land and needs to get the target below 50% somehow.If I want to rush to caps faster I use GS 3, GS 5 and if need bull charge, plenty of mobility there.

Taking a sword for 1 mobility skill is questionable while the rest of its abilities, including F1 are pretty bad.....it is a terrible strategy....The only build I tried with a sword that worked somehow well was sword/axe + GS, but the lack of shield was really noticeable.Another meme build I tried was Axe/shield, + Sword/Axe which dominated anything up close, but traded all the GS mobility for it, and i got rolled and kited to death by half-decent players.

Warrior is a decent duelist against anything that isn't a mirage.

In teamfights you need to know when go in and out and not just YOLO into 4 people and swing you GS around until you get focused and die in 3 seconds.

P.S. Speaking from GS+Axe/shield core str/def/disp perspective here

Archived