The Value of a WvW Ticket.

DanAlcedo.3281

Hi!

Everytime someone says that the WvW Skirmish Tickets are a good reward i get triggered HARD.

If you click the Link below you can see:*The current Value of a Ticket.

• Prices for Armor and Weapons (WvW Vendor)*A comparison between crafting and the WvW Vendor

The current best value of a Ticket is 2 silver and 93 copper.(Value may change with the Price of Memorys of battle)

Edit: https://imgur.com/Hgvefdo

So please.

• The WvW Ticket Vendor is scam
  • Tickets are currently a Trash Reward
  • In almost all cases Tickets are negativ Gold.
  • I dont talk about the Legendary Armor.

Dan.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:And... it's as much trash as a Lengendary Insight then as well?

I exclude the Leg. Armor.

Also, as a Bonus info:

Even if one Memory of battle would cost 1 copper, the value of a Ticket would not exceed 10 silver. ( Heavy Minstel Armor)

Excluding something puts your conditions on the value, which is effect creates the conditions for your argument.

The reality is they aren't separate.

And given that you cannot obtain the Legendary armor in WvW without them, putting a value on it is, while trying to exclude legendary armor..., inaccurate.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:And... it's as much trash as a Lengendary Insight then as well?

I exclude the Leg. Armor.

Also, as a Bonus info:

Even if one Memory of battle would cost 1 copper, the value of a Ticket would not exceed 10 silver. ( Heavy Minstel Armor)

Excluding something puts your conditions on the value, which is effect creates the conditions for your argument.

The reality is they aren't separate.

And given that you cannot obtain the Legendary armor in WvW without them, putting a value on it is, while trying to exclude legendary armor..., inaccurate.

I think what he's saying is that's their only profitable use, which is still debatable. I use them for the resettable trinkets as well . . .

But as others pointed out, they weren't supposed to be profitable, they were supposed to be a way to help wvw ppl avoid being 'forced' into pve to gear up . . .

This just in: if you have no use for a currency, it has no value to you. That goes for karma, unbound magic, and even gold. Obviously, it's pretty hard to be in a situation in which gold has zero value to a player, but it's incredibly easy for there to be no particular use for any specific other currency.

The OP doesn't speak for me. There are things that I want that require skirmish tickets. That makes them priceless to me.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:This just in: if you have no use for a currency, it has no value to you. That goes for karma, unbound magic, and even gold. Obviously, it's pretty hard to be in a situation in which gold has zero value to a player, but it's incredibly easy for there to be no particular use for any specific other currency.

The OP doesn't speak for me. There are things that I want that require skirmish tickets. That makes them priceless to me.

This. Pretty much, and also the OP's statements don't make sense with the words he/she chooses.

D:

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:Hi!

Everytime someone says that the WvW Skirmish Tickets are a good reward i get triggered HARD.

Aren't their better issues to be "triggered HARD" over? Balance, population, lag, etc.

If you click the Link below you can see:*The current Value of a Ticket.

• Prices for Armor and Weapons (WvW Vendor)*A comparison between crafting and the WvW Vendor

The current best value of a Ticket is 2 silver and 93 copper.(Value may change with the Price of Memorys of battle)

https://imgur.com/a/CS8sG6V

So please.

• The WvW Ticket Vendor is scam

Scam has a definition, but I don't know how you are defining it. How is the ticket vendor a scam in this context? Elaborate...

• Tickets are currently a Trash Reward

Considering at launch there was little reward which resulted in ANET adding more rewards. What were you expecting instead? The community seems to flip out when it rewards "pvers." Since you established them to be about 3 silver, how much should a ticket be worth if you really wanted to convert it to gold?

• In almost all cases Tickets are negativ Gold.

No. They do not take your gold when they are acquired.

• I dont talk about the Legendary Armor.

Cool me neither idc. Tickets are accrued along with other currencies as players perform activities in WvW. They are not a negative impact on players. Are they gold efficient? Probably not, but playing PvE (which might be more gold efficient) is not the same as playing WvW or Spvp. Which is why I find the whole assigning gold value to be problematic. If you want to make a case they should remove the currency, and just give use gold instead then by all means make a topic suggesting so.

Theres the also the issue of how currency is purposed. Coin is Coin, Karma and Dungeon is a limited coin substitute, Fractal Relics are a gating mechanism, Map currency is a gating mechanism, LS currencies (both soft and hard) are alternative wealth, LIs are a gating mechanism but Raid shares are alternative wealth. As you can see, theres a bit of inconsistency in how they translate between each other, so its factually incorrect to whole sale declare any of these "worthless" when they can be traded for things of practical value. GW2 players are also kind of spoiled on the fact that most of these currencies don't have mutually exclusive trade value; and that many of them can be converted to other lines of value (at a shockingly generous rate) via intermediary items or alternative acquisition methods.

The fallacy the OP is resting on is the last part of that...... the assumption that the whole system is "supposed" to allow for equal exchange between all currencies, and is using Gold as the reference point. But thats not how that works. The real reference point is in "effort cost"; gold just happens to be the easiest number to understand by most players. If you really wanted to break it down by cost, everything should be measured in Man hours. And just from that alone, you can see how wildly inconsistent that rate is for singular goals; but unlike coin, man hours can contribute into several areas as the same time.

WvW skirmish rewards can easily be argued as a good reward setup, because its one of 4 currencies that enable near-complete autonomy with in its game mode. Not even sPvP shards and tickets can make that claim, when the rewards bound to it only have value to other game modes. I've even known people to sell whole stacks of Mystic Clovers to the vendor, because they have no interest in Legendary weapons (or the effort needed to make a Gen 1 to flip on the TP, just to get more value out of them). Or the equity of VM/UBM being converted to coin via material bags, but can't convert coin to UBM/VM by any method. And in the case of legendary armor, Raids have the lowest (ideal) man hour cost for Legendary armor, but doesn't account for how man hours can be lost due to wipes, LFG time, and other requirements such as Provisioner tokens, obtaining Obsidian shards, cost of ball of dark energy (which they normally get via shards -> gear -> Salvage), and the Gift of Dedication (which requires farming the HOT maps for various currency, items, and events).

If you don't want anything else other then Coin, then Skirmish tickets don't convert into anything at a desirable rate. But if you're after coins, the Istan farm is way more efficient toward that specific goal. But Istan farm doesn't net you short cuts to Ascended gear, nor does it get you Asc Trinkets. But do you really need those if you're just farming istan for coin? So can you see the problem with trying to assuming an equal value system across the game?

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:This just in: if you have no use for a currency, it has no value to you. That goes for karma, unbound magic, and even gold. Obviously, it's pretty hard to be in a situation in which gold has zero value to a player, but it's incredibly easy for there to be no particular use for any specific other currency.

Following that point to its logical conclusion, no spvp players should get any reward for playing spvp, because the game mode is agnostic to differences in resources. Except most spvp players are playing spvp because the league system does make it financially rewarding to play.

@Hesacon.8735 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:This just in: if you have no use for a currency, it has no value
to you
. That goes for karma, unbound magic, and even gold. Obviously, it's pretty hard to be in a situation in which gold has zero value to a player, but it's incredibly easy for there to be no particular use for any specific other currency.

Following that point to its logical conclusion, no spvp players should get any reward for playing spvp, because the game mode is agnostic to differences in resources. Except most spvp players are playing spvp because the league system does make it financially rewarding to play.

Sorry, no, that isn't following the point at all, logical or illogical. The point is that currency is an idea and each only has value if people want the currency for whatever reason they want it, usually because it enables them to do or acquire other things. There's nothing the OP wants that they can get with SkirmishTickets, so for them, sure, that currency has no value. The OP cannot, however, make that claim for others. For people who don't want a legendary, karma is pretty useless, but that doesn't mean it lacks value to others.

Regardless, none of this has anything to do with whether people should get rewards. It doesn't even directly affect what the rewards are. And, as it turns out, most people who play sPvP have plenty of uses for the currencies made available through ticks and reward tracks. Most people who WvW have use for all its currencies. And sure, there will be people playing both/either who don't find those rewards that useful.

I will never understand why people would defend this.But ok.

Maybe its like Luck.The moment you have your Max Magicfind, its a useless reward.The moment you have your legendary Armor, its a useless reward.

Lets just hope there will be a time when this changes.

All i can do is to continue to tell everyone to stay back from the WvW Vendor.Someone has to do the job.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:I will never understand why people would defend this.But ok.

Maybe its like Luck.The moment you have your Max Magicfind, its a useless reward.The moment you have your legendary Armor, its a useless reward.

All i can do is to continue to tell everyone to stay back from the WvW Vendor.Someone has to do the job.

9 classes, 9 sets of legendary armor so one never has to swap gear between toons. Best case scenario for one set is 22 weeks, or nearly 4 years for getting it for every class.

That's assuming that you don't make the backpack or buy other rewards like ascended weapons. The tickets will probably always have value for the lifetime of GW2.

/shrug

It's cool that you're on your crusade and all, but I think you're missing the point.

You'd also have to consider that you get all those materials from WvW itself. GM tokens etc. You get at least 4 in the process of making legendary armor and during that time you're also bound to get a bunch of ascended materials, which would be the biggest gold sink of that armor. You don't have to spend anything, since the game already gives it to you. This only gets better the more people time people have already invested in it. What if somebody has played for a year or two without ever spending anything they got? They'll have everything and they can most likely instabuy their set at little extra cost.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:I will never understand why people would defend this.But ok.

Your inability to understand does not make it a bad thing. Its just indicative of how you perceive things, nothing more.

I am happy with the way rewards are in WvW. Well done Anet. Feel free to give more if time permits, but keep your resources on alliances.

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:I will never understand why people would defend this.Because you aren't interested in the same things as others.

FYI your reddit post captured your point more eloquently than you've done here because it showed the actual amounts for the most egregious example. In your meme image, you showed the cost of a set of Marauder's armor using two different methods

• vendor: 377 gold plus 1310 tickets
  • crafting: 260 gold (even including leveling up to 500 crafting, the cost would be less, ~315-340 total)

So yeah, if ascended Marauder's gear is the only thing that concerns you, then definitely a bad idea to use the tickets.

However, my interest is in (a) legendary armor and (b) the advanced skins. To me, the skirmish tix aren't about cost efficiency, they are a means to the end of obtaining end-game wardrobe options and end-game gearing convenience.

I dislike that ANet decided that they didn't want to make available non-crafting solutions for gearing up for those that hate crafting. I think any game, and especially GW2, is always going to have a substantial minority who can't stand sitting in front of a crafting station (even if it's as painless as it is in GW2). And i think it would be fair & fine to offer an alternative to crafting that is modestly more expensive and slower. But for whatever reason, that's not how they've set things up for skirmish tickets.

tl;dr of course skirmish tickets are a bad deal when compared to efficient crafting, because they are primarily designed for another purpose which is of keen interest to others.

@Hesacon.8735 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:This just in: if you have no use for a currency, it has no value
to you
. That goes for karma, unbound magic, and even gold. Obviously, it's pretty hard to be in a situation in which gold has zero value to a player, but it's incredibly easy for there to be no particular use for any specific other currency.

I think his point was just that value is subjective. Reducing every currency to its conversion in gold is only useful if one values gold more than the alternative uses for the currency. In this case skirmish tickets can be used to make legendary armor. Whether or not one places value on legendary armor is entirely subjective but to those who do place value on legendary armor skirmish tickets are very valuable indeed.

Interesting that Marauder was used as an example instead of something like Minstrel. For some time certain sets were very expensive to craft because of pearls etc. Either way, I will never have 0 use for tickets. Working on heavy set of legendary, then light, then the obsidian weapons.....

I own 2 legendary sets made from WvW tickets. Working on my third. I have ascended sets on all my main toons (around 2-3 for each) and around 4-5 more full sets in armor boxes (fractals ftw).

Despite all this, I still think tickets are a worthwhile reward for doing what I like doing most in this game (WvW). I played the game mode extensively way before there were rewards for it; the fact that we're getting anything at all, and particularly a way to get legendary armor by playing what I love to play... I find it rather convenient.

If you're clever and you min/max the use of tickets, they're actually very valuable. Dont spend them on random shit and you'll start appreciating what you get from them.

Archived