[Suggestion] WvW enemy awareness and red dots on minimap trait

Hitman.5829

Create a WvW rank trait that allows enemies to appear as red dots only to those who have spend 2000+ rank points to purchase it.The red dot appearing on the minimap should have a maximum draw distance of 5000 units or so and the name should be "master scout."It is a little bit frustrating to constantly be looking in all directions for enemy players.It feels as if Anet wants us to be paranoid in WvW.

@"Blocki.4931" said:That is WAY too valuable of an information to be given freely. Makes sneaking objectives impossible too. It doesn't take that much to spot other players.

You can see enemies in the monitor screen farther than 5000 units away but only if you are facing that direction. It is a hustle to rotate the camera every 5 seconds just to look behind or the sides, I think that red dots should be displayed when they get close to you just like many games do it.

Anet has something similar implemented with the sentries that they reveal you and put a red dot on the map for everyone to see, all they have to do is put that same code but remove the "ALL can see you" and replace it with a code that only the player can see near by enemies.

@"Hitman.5829" said:Create a WvW rank trait that allows enemies to appear as red dots only to those who have spend 2000+ rank points to purchase it.The red dot appearing on the minimap should have a maximum draw distance of 5000 units or so and the name should be "master scout."It is a little bit frustrating to constantly be looking in all directions for enemy players.It feels as if Anet wants us to be paranoid in WvW.

While I'm not categorically against the proposed system, it is definitely something that needs to be available to everyone or noone. I'm absolutely against it being locked to high rank!

I think it's a very deliberate design decision not to show enemies on the map except in limited situations, so I doubt anet is interested in doing this.

@Hitman.5829 said:

@"Hesacon.8735" said:Sentries and watch towers exist. You can camp those if you want to see where enemies are.

Unfortunately those are fixed locations. What I am suggesting is a "local visibility" of enemies near your character.

If you flip the next tower over and hold it for an hour, you can extend that visibility.

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:Are you actually telling me you're too lazy to look around you?

Looking at your signature though I'm not surprised.

not lazy, but sickens from constantly changing view. There is a reason why top games like GTA 5 have integrated minimap enemy location because it is a burden to keep watch for enemies nearby and it makes most players motion sick from the constant changing of the camera.

~~I actually like the idea.Having upgrades like increased detection range, being able to detect stealthed characters and being able to detect even those who aren't within line of sight (like within a tower) would be neat options. Though it would only be personal detection, for obvious reasons.I'd also be in favor of a detection trap, that once triggered marks all enemies within 1k radius for 10 seconds, or something.Heck, they could even tack a (personal) mark effect onto reveals. None of these ideas would obsolete sentries & watchtower.

Quality idea, OP.~~

~ Kovu

Edit: It was a good idea until they introduced the "Detected!" debuff. I have a different opinion now.

This is a new kind of lazy. Map awareness is meant to be learned, that is what makes scouts and callouts valuable. Do you know what it's currently like without a proper scout?person1"i see red dots near x".server"numbers?"person1_"i don't know, i see red dots"Imagine when they start seeing red dots everywhere.I don't agree with this easy mode lazinesss. Even the 2k rank suggestion. If you are already 2k rank then that is already an instant unlock, might as well make it square for everyone to gain 2k before they can use your suggestion. It sounds more like you're scared of getting ambushed and it is meant to be like that. Stay in tower if you need safety. Reading the map is a great tool, knowing the enemy movement without the need of seeing a red dot.

@Hitman.5829 said:

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:Are you actually telling me you're too lazy to look around you?

Looking at your signature though I'm not surprised.

not lazy, but sickens from constantly changing view. There is a reason why top games like GTA 5 have integrated minimap enemy location because it is a burden to keep watch for enemies nearby and it makes most players motion sick from the constant changing of the camera.

Take some dramamine.

A plain and simple NO to OP's idea (1. locking it behind 2k rank points and 2. you should look behind buildings and walls and have a chance to hide using wits)

Having a little less powerful skill connected to the Special Action Key (which is not used in WvW at all until now) could be something that might be with experimenting with (e.g. a 1200 range, targeted sentinel like map reveal for 10 sec. on a 120 sec cool down)

@Blocki.4931 said:That is WAY too valuable of an information to be given freely. Makes sneaking objectives impossible too. It doesn't take that much to spot other players.

He didn't say for free... he said 2000 points or so...

As someone with thousands of points to spare, this would be fantastic for when im roaming or commanding a fight squad.

I really like the idea actually, its like the WvW version of the griffon... The legendary WxP upgrade if you will instead of a legendary mount

Archived