Make Backbacks (Wings) Dyeable; Not Just Gliders.

Is it me or should it be about time that the winged backbacks we get match the glider skin versions? As in You can dye the Glider, just not the backitem.I'm okay with not every backitem being dyeable, that's all find and good but when something that looks as good as the Dragon Wings not being dyeable except for the glider version, No more of that Anet.Give both certain winged backitems the Dye Channels. It's about time.

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:Due to technical limitations this isn't possible. The question has been posed before, and answered numerous times on the Forum. I suggest using the search function to locate the answer.

I remember those posts, but I guess it's the same for Charr as well since their horns and ears are a technical issue and ignored/ covered up with outfits.It doesn't have to be every backitem. Just some, as there probably would be bugs/ all sorts of issues trying to add dye channels to every single back item.

What they’ve said on the subject

Tidgepot.3285If you need citation, then look no further. I'm the dev who concepted this glider! Granted, I'm an artist so I couldn't give you the full technical rundown like Josh Petrie, but I do handle our engine daily.

Whether or not the equipment takes damage or not has no bearing on how the engine separates items. The engine sees armor as what is called a composite, it sees things attached to your characters like weapons and backpieces as items, and it sees gliders as a sort of middleground item/effect. Our file structure separates gliders as items, but because of how they pop into view, layer, and more easily allow for dyes it makes sense to basically treat them as effects. Now I'm not positive on this, but I'm going to hazard a guess that if we decided to make gliders as items, we'd have to retroactively alter the system in a way that would allow for weapons/backpieces to be dyed.

On its face doing this sounds like a great idea, since this is what fans want. As a fellow player I'd like this as well, but unfortunately our systems were not designed with this in mind. Not only would we have to go back and code each item so it can have dye channels/sufficient UI and prepare for the veritable bugfest that would ensue from altering a system that has years of work built on top of it, but we'd also have to retexture these items. Why? Our dye system is balanced around a red base color which has an impact on how every other color will appear when a channel shifts to it. Anyone who has played with dodging/burning in photoshop will know that red has some strange properties when it comes to shifts in values. Many dyes would have blown out/dull/oddly saturated textures as a result.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. There's SO much more to the process that I don't have a firm grasp on.

The devs here are gamers and we love what we do. We want fans to get excited about what we make because we're fans, too. However, we have players clamoring for every fix/feature under the sun so we have to do a ton of prioritizing. Game development is never plain and simple.

Ashe Lewis.9815

I rarely post on the forums so I just had my account upgraded to a developer one. So Tidgepot is indeed a dev because I'm Tidgepot! My posts earlier in this thread still stand. I'm sorry about the confusion :P

Like I said before, I’m just an artist so I’ll elaborate on what I understand as best as I can, but I’m no engineer.

This sounds like a it could be good idea, but it doesn’t sidestep the issue of categorization and what certain types of assets can do. The older assets would still be affected. We’d still encounter a ton of programing challenges and bugs from altering a core mechanic of the game and the years of code built on top of it. Every player and many npcs use items, so the wrong bug slipping through can have a major impact on everyone in the game. Not to mention finding that bug could be like searching for a needle in a haystack because of how fundamental this part of our system is. We’d still probably end up having to re-author and retexture all old items (which would take a ton of resources) and even if we did do that, more players may end up upset by the minor texture changes to their current gear than those who can’t dye backpacks.

Maybe(?) a workaround could be a new asset type, but our engine is old and finicky— it would certainly take a lot resources to teach it to parse through something so fundamental.

@Chasind.3128 said:

@"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:Due to technical limitations this isn't possible. The question has been posed before, and answered numerous times on the Forum. I suggest using the search function to locate the answer.

I remember those posts, but I guess it's the same for Charr as well since their horns and ears are a technical issue and ignored/ covered up with outfits.It doesn't have to be every backitem. Just some, as there probably would be bugs/ all sorts of issues trying to add dye channels to every single back item.

Well, Just a flesh wound basically did what I couldn't bother to do when I posted. ;)

But as you can see from that response, "some back items" isn't possible, since all back items are recognized as the same kind of item (which seems entirely logical to me and is what I would've guessed, even as a complete development noob). So it's either all or nothing, and the result would be nothing. It's like trying to put a new foundation underneath a house and expect the house to remain standing and intact. That's just not going to work.

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:Due to technical limitations this isn't possible. The question has been posed before, and answered numerous times on the Forum. I suggest using the search function to locate the answer.

Well, Just a flesh wound basically did what I couldn't bother to do when I posted. ;)

But as you can see from that response, "some back items" isn't possible, since all back items are recognized as the same kind of item (which seems entirely logical to me and is what I would've guessed, even as a complete development noob). So it's either all or nothing, and the result would be nothing. It's like trying to put a new foundation underneath a house and expect the house to remain standing and intact. That's just not going to work.

No, I understand.I've even mentioned before that the backitems that come with gliders, like the matching ones not have 2 separate dye channels but whatever color you change the glider, immediately changes the backpiece in correspondence as long as its equipped or something.Instead of it being something like "i want to dye my backpiece separate from my glider which are the same design" it instead is if you have the butterfly wings equipped as a backpack AND glider, changing the glider color will change the backpackDying the glider changes the same backpiece type thingJust wishful thinkingIf it's something that cannot be put, then gliders should not be dye-able that correspond to the backitem.

@Chasind.3128 said:If it's something that cannot be put, then gliders should not be dye-able that correspond to the backitem.

I can't agree. Why impose a limit on the glider? Especially since ANet went to the trouble of designing gliders so that they would be able to be dyed. Those who don't like the inconsistency can choose not to exercise the option.

Already said, but giving 5 exemplars of a bagpack item with each a different color can be great Indeed, only black-red-blue-white-purple. But I'm scared that some players would not find their wanted color. Same for weapons.. would have been awesome a red version of arcane marksman rifle.

@hugo.4705 said:Already said, but giving 5 exemplars of a bagpack item with each a different color can be great Indeed, only black-red-blue-white-purple. But I'm scared that some players would not find their wanted color. Same for weapons.. would have been awesome a red version of arcane marksman rifle.

Agreed, if they cant be dyeable, upload the item with a handful of common or expected loved colors.For example, destroyer wings backpack is stuck green, but if they just added like jormal fire colors, purple, and.. corruption-dark like colors (darkgreen,blueish or something) you’dalready make thousands of players happy

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Chasind.3128 said:If it's something that cannot be put, then gliders should not be dye-able that correspond to the backitem.

I can't agree. Why impose a limit on the glider? Especially since ANet went to the trouble of designing gliders so that they would be able to be dyed. Those who don't like the inconsistency can choose not to exercise the option.

they knew about gliders when they were selling wing back items (just not publicly), if they had things done right from the get go this problem would not be on the forum being discussed.they already made the mistake on not using what GW already has, now ppl ask for it but messed up their code so much it's a huge job untangling their own mess, adding what should be in the game from the start.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@"Chasind.3128" said:If it's something that cannot be put, then gliders should not be dye-able that correspond to the backitem.

they knew about gliders when they were selling wing back items (just not publicly), if they had things done right from the get go this problem would not be on the forum being discussed.What? The decision to make weapons (and backpacks) undyeable was made years before wings were implemented, long before the game launched. But by the time they were planning gliders, they realized people want to be able to dye everything, so they made a different choice.

they already made the mistake on not using what GW already has, now ppl ask for it but messed up their code so much it's a huge job untangling their own mess, adding what should be in the game from the start.

They didn't "mess up their code;" they made a design decision: so really cool things with weapon effects plus release more styles of gear or allow players to dye weapons.

(copy pasta from other thread)Pretty disappoint with the scaled dragon wings base colour for the back piece. "Night shade" really A-net? couldn't have at gone abyss? glossy black? Or at the very least just base black? You just HAD to go with the weird blue tinted version that is going to find some way to clash with virtually any set that is lacking a blue hue?

Jeez, make it so we can dye back items, or make it more neutral already and you wont have people coming asking for this every time you release a new back item.--Actually you probably will until back items are dye-able, but the rate at which you release new ones, and the way you choose the the base colour of the back item you will have a much larger people shouting about this.

@"Chasind.3128" said:If it's something that cannot be put, then gliders should not be dye-able that correspond to the backitem.

they knew about gliders when they were selling wing back items (just not publicly), if they had things done right from the get go this problem would not be on the forum being discussed.What? The decision to make weapons (and backpacks) undyeable was made years before wings were implemented, long before the game launched. But by the time they were planning gliders, they realized people want to be able to dye everything, so they made a different choice.

they already made the mistake on not using what GW already has, now ppl ask for it but messed up their code so much it's a huge job untangling their own mess, adding what should be in the game from the start.

They didn't "mess up their code;" they made a design decision: so really cool things with weapon effects plus release more styles of gear
or
allow players to dye weapons.

no, the system was already in-game, they messed up.

@"sorudo.9054" said:no, the system was already in-game, they messed up.

Having read the developer posts on the topic (some of which are quoted in this thread), I can't find any that support the contention that "the system was already in-game." Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. Do you have a link that helps explain what you mean?

@"sorudo.9054" said:no, the system was already in-game, they messed up.

Having read the developer posts on the topic (some of which are quoted in this thread), I can't find any that support the contention that "the system was already in-game." Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. Do you have a link that helps explain what you mean?

look in GW, the system already exists.one dye channel but still, it's already there ingame, they just never applied it on GW2 weapons.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:no, the system was already in-game, they messed up.

look in GW, the system already exists.one dye channel but still, it's already there ingame, they just never applied it on GW2 weapons.

You realize that the two games use wildly different code. When setting up GW2, the developers didn't "mess up" — they actively chose to make weapons undyeable so that (a) they could do other cool things instead and (b) so they could produce more designs more frequently.

It's fine to say that you prefer to be able to dye fewer, simpler weapon skins; it's just inaccurate to say that the code was ever in GW2 to do this.

• 2 months later...