Current best 1v1 profession to contest (hold..) nodes?

TorQ.7041

As description implies. The last poll I found was in January. Wanted to see what every one currently thinks after the October 2nd patch.

For the sake of shorting the poll I am not putting elite spec. Mirage would go into mesmer and dragon Hunter would go into guardian etc.

Feel free to follow up with why you think your class is the best for 1v1 in spvp in the comments (:

Solo holding a node to clarify. Incase 1v1 duelist isn't clear enough..

@StabbersTheThird.6053 said:Define best. Best at CLEARING. Best at HOLDING. Best at ROTATING. What?

Clearing is Necro for the mad aoe.Holding is Ele or War or Mes.Rotating is Thief.

1v1.. duelists usually means holding.. unless I am wrong..no where did I mention rotating or clearing in a team fight.

Usually no necro or thief will 1v1

Usually it has been mirage and warrior.. just wanted to see other alternatives.

Who's voting ele/weaver lol? You can easily come up with some build on engi/warrior that does a better job at some trash bunkering strategy where you do no damage and just eventually win through attrition when the meta builds can already achieve the same level of effectiveness in terms of holding nodes, but they actually do damage because they're running dps amulets (so they are already better)?

@sephiroth.4217 said:Theres no Necro option... And I often win 1v1 and 1v2 as Reaper, sometimes 1v3 if the stars align...

Otherwise I would choose thief because camping far on thief will throw out the whole enemy team and make em panic into over rotating or something else silly.

Ermmmm.... That's a huge PvP player problem.

I normally don't play ranked.and yesterday I felt like playing a match.

Well what I experienced was this:I was standing on a point, enemy scourge, mesmer and engi just judged on that point and all of them lost like 3/4 of their health due to reaper shroud 4.

If they played it more intelligent, like scourge hit me from range, this might have been a very easy fight for them.

But the mentality of most PvP players is just bad. If someone is standing on a point, they have to get on that point no matter what.And then they complain about classes being op.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:Theres no Necro option... And I often win 1v1 and 1v2 as Reaper, sometimes 1v3 if the stars align...

Otherwise I would choose thief because camping far on thief will throw out the whole enemy team and make em panic into over rotating or something else silly.

Ermmmm.... That's a huge PvP player problem.

I normally don't play ranked.and yesterday I felt like playing a match.

Well what I experienced was this:I was standing on a point, enemy scourge, mesmer and engi just judged on that point and all of them lost like 3/4 of their health due to reaper shroud 4.

If they played it more intelligent, like scourge hit me from range, this might have been a very easy fight for them.

But the mentality of most PvP players is just bad. If someone is standing on a point, they have to get on that point no matter what.And then they complain about classes being op.

Hence why I win a lot of 1v2-1v3, people bunch up on point and eat a full shroud 4... The only class that makes me think twice about what I'm doing is DE

Warrior/spellbreaker, they get a shitload of defense for free so they can build/play relatively aggressive.

Condimesmer, being a pain in the butt, deals good damage over time and is quite slipperly.

Weaver, doesnt die 1v1, but cant really kill anything other than by over 1 hour of outsustaining and tickeling the enemy.

Holosmith, great damage and stuff, but less durable than warrior and unless you specifically build towards condiremoval you suck at fighting condis.

Sorry! Totally forgot about necro. Didn't come to mind as a 1v1 class. Can't seem to change poll to add :(

From a pure on node 1v1 standpoint I gotta go with the boonbeast build. Absurd amount of tankiness and sustain along with good enough damage. When they have retal up (which is very frequently) a lot of my skills do more damage to me then they do to them, like full channel surge of the mist hitting for 1.5k while receiving 2k in retal.

solo holding a node and best 1v1 isn't necessarily the sameas for 1v1, i gotta go with boonbeast as well; can win every encounter on the nodebecomes a little weaker when a rev decides to +1 you as the burst damage becomes too much, in this case spellbreaker does better

so depending on matchup (as always) you can pick your best node holder in the gamespellbreaker, mirage, boon beast, weaver, holo all do well

My friend plays warrior and often contests far and i've seen him hold 1v3s like a beast... so warrior is my top choice for sure

Personally i play boonbeast and it's a great sidenoder too. Does best holding 1v1s though, and some 1v2 matchups. I wouldn't put it over spellbreaker tho, spb has so many direct blocks or invulns, even regeneration sources that cannot be corrupted.Boonbeast relies entirely on its arsenal of boons with only one invuln. Weapon evades are okayish but you have to remember they are leaps/movements that can bring you out of position. I prefer to play it in group fights like mid so i can support the team (boons, OWP, stances, traited S&R, spiritual reprieve) so its a flexible role.

@"sephiroth.4217" said:Otherwise I would choose thief because camping far on thief will throw out the whole enemy team and make em panic into over rotating or something else silly.

Exactly. Trolling the far node on D/P is so much fun. Usually you can distract atleast 2 players into chasing you.

As to the question, it's a very hard choice between holo and spellbreaker. Mesmer is good at keeping a node neutral but with all of their "Prevents Capture Point Contribution"-skills, they aren't actually great at keeping nodes capped to your team. I hear Soulbeast is a very good duelist now as well but I haven't tried/verified it yet.

@Vicariuz.1605 said:interesting that people seem to not be aware of soulbeast.

I've not seen a tn of the people playing soulbeast have success with it tbh. I haven't tried it myself but so far it just seems meh to me in comparison to what I could accomplish with other things. I'm also not a very good ranger so that doesn't help XD

@Faffin.6741 said:

Contesting yes. Holding no.

muddy terrain and axe 5 are huge deterrents for standing on point, especially when they are backed up with one wolf pack and unrivaled boon uptime.

@Ario.8964 said:

I've not seen a tn of the people playing soulbeast have success with it tbh. I haven't tried it myself but so far it just seems meh to me in comparison to what I could accomplish with other things. I'm also not a very good ranger so that doesn't help XD

You should consider watching ROM, boyce, treesixty, and the vast majority of other soulbeasts in the upper echelons of the EU leaderboard.

Archived