Ideas for new game modes

maddoctor.2738

I have two ideas for new game modes that are somewhat unique (I think) and they aren't completely alien to the gameplay of Guild Wars 2. They are ideas from other games but that's irrelevant, I will present them in their Guild Wars 2 "version".

Idea 1: Marked for Death: this is more like a Deathmatch but with a twist. One player from each team will be "marked", the mark can be either random for hotjoins and a player chosen by their team on more competitive modes. The players that do not have the mark respawn as normal for PVP, but if a marked player dies, the opposing team scores a point. Then a new round begins, with new marked players. The first team that reaches the score limit (or the one with the highest score when time is up) wins the game.

Unlike a Deathmatch that is easy to snow-ball, the moment you kill someone from the other team it's... GG, in this game mode snow-balling is much harder. Further, the team will decide who the mark will be, they will either choose a player with lots of mobility to run around the map, or a very good bunker/point holder. This means builds from regular conquest will have a good incentive to be used, but with various twists to support the new gameplay. Also, unlike Deathmatch and Conquest this is a dynamic game mode that depends heavily on who the mark on each team is. Stealth can be problematic, although the mechanics from Coliseum when you get the Artifacts could apply on the "Marks".

To further spice things up, things like the Artifacts from the Coliseum could be used to buff players (including the marks) to focus attention on certain points on the map. Of course the game mode could easily become a full old-school Deathmatch with the extra twist that the Marks can escape during the chaos and start running around until their team-mates revive and come to the rescue, again this to prevent the hard snow-balling of the Courtyard.

Idea 2: Orb charge: in this mode there is an orb in the middle, similar to Spirit Watch that you need to transfer to your "base", which can be a control point on a Conquest map. Once in the base the team that holds it will get score, once it reaches the score limit, the team wins. The heavy twist here, is that if the other team captures the orb and move it to their "base", the score continues from where it left off.

This makes the game mode interesting until the last second, you could capture the orb at 99%, move to your base and "steal" a victory. The defending team will bunker up and stay in their base to protect the orb, this similar problem would exist in a Capture the Flag game mode, as the leading team could just stay behind around their flag and defend. To prevent this, a secondary mechanic (similar to let's say Temple of Silent Storm) will be needed to force the orb out of their hands and make it respawn at the middle point once you channel something that appears on a cooldown.

As you can see, I hate snowball effect where one team gets the upper hand early, it means the end for the losing team. This is true in both Deathmatch and Capture the Flag modes, especially in this game, with the mechanics we have. I gave two game modes that play similarly to a Deathmatch and a Capture the Flag but with mechanics that can work with Guild Wars 2 builds and systems. Thoughts and ideas?

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:It's regurgitating old threads but this is how I feel about it.-> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/43109/what-makes-a-new-game-mode-good-or-bad

This is very good.

On Deathmatch:

There just weren't enough viable options of how to play & win, in comparison to conquest.I agree, which is why pure deathmatch would never work in Guild Wars 2. In my own version, although it looks like a deathmatch, it allows variation, as the marks can escape, or survive the big fight, the run towards their allies that are about to respawn.

On Capture the Flag

With the way things go down in Guild Wars 2 competitive modes, this match type will likely result in one team finding out they are dominant in the initial combat, taking the flag, and that's the game.Once again, I agree, which is why I gave my version of Capture the Flag that solves this problem. By having one orb, instead of two flags, they can add the secondary mechanic that will push it out of the base, which means the defending team must split to defend both the orb and the secondary mechanic. Further, by making the orb hold the charge, it allows the losing team to catch up, steal the victory and keep the match interesting until the very end.

It's interesting to add some new map with different rule (although I wouldn't add new game modes, risking to spread even more the active players).I generally like the idea, but I see some problem:

1. As you noticed, if a stealthy/bulky class gets the mark, it would be much easier to stay alive compared to a glass cannon. This can only work if the class swapping is forbidden after the matchmaking, or everyone will queue with an elementalist for example and switch to a mesmer before the match starts.
  2. The rules of this mode should be well explained by some NPC. I saw players in Spirit Watch that got the orb and brough it to the enemy's field. And that map has simpler rules.

Battlegrounds. Copy -> paste the whole thing from WoW to GW2 and trust me, ppl ( or at least some of them) will be happy. Massive duels/small group fights around flags or just in random spots and score thing in the background. Id love to see that and even would care about present PvP state, besides tons of Legend titles, irrelevant ladder etc.

I came up with a crude idea for another game mode...I call it wake the guardian... =)

Disclaimer: plz no "poorly thought out" or "this is waste" comments :'( ... This is just imaginary... Anet's not gonna implement this anyway... :p

A single guardian statue would be placed in the middle of the map... The guardian statue has to be charged to 100% to wake the guardian so he can attack the enemy base and end the match...

Charge can be collected by killing enemy playersBoth red and blue team can charge the guardian with their respective colorsIf a team fail to charge the guardian for (n) seconds, the charge of their respective colors start to tickle down in a constant phase... Until a player puts a charge...Red team's charge generator is placed in blue team's base entrance and vice versaIf a player with a charge is killed by enemy player, the existing charge of the dead player is dropped on the battlefield... If not picked up by the dead player's team within n secs, it disappears...Placing the charge in the guardian is to just simply reach the guardian statueIf both teams manage to charge the guardian to 100% at the same time, the statue gets split like yin and yang and those guardian statues fight each other... Players can contribute to sustain their guardian statues by killing enemy players and charging their guardians...Players can't damage guardian statues.If battle drags for more than 5minutes, the team with more charge on the guardian wakes their guardian automatically and the guardian moves towards the enemy base to destroy it...Charge generators will have a cooldown which will be half the time of trickle down time of guardian statue...

The guardian destroying the enemy base phase can be left out of the game mode... But it'd be fun to watch... ;)

And to spice it up, every match starts with a different random guardian statues... Which would be cool to watch... Like Anubis, kronos, Boogeyman, Zeus, Medusa, ...Each have their own powers to destroy the enemy base...

Statue has multiple entrances (leg, torso, head or... West, East north, south... They won't connect or intersect anywhere)so a 5man team must spread out in order to camp near the statue... Else other team easily charge their guardian... If they spread out, other team can Zerg kill the stragglers...They have to make sure enemies don't get charge from the charge generators near their base...There should be multiple exits diff direction from spawn points... To avoid snowballing near the base...

New players can understand the mechanics easily... All they have to do is, kill enemy players drop off charges on guardian statue... Strategies vary

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:If a team fail to charge the guardian for (n) seconds, the charge of their respective colors start to tickle down in a constant phase... Until a player puts a charge...Red team's charge generator is placed in blue team's base entrance and vice versaAlthough quite rare, it can happen to have a phase of the match where your team is clearly losing and wander mindlessly for the map, until at a certain point, your team-mates decide to change strategy and play together (I'm talking about unranked at least) and then overturn the score.A system that punishes you for not charging the statue in X seconds, will be more prone to afk/quit and wait at your base until the game ends.It's an idea, it might be a new map ofc, but I'd remove the decay time, to make the match more worthy to play until the end.

@"phs.6089" said:If we go of copy-paste. I'm sure people in GW2 would love to have corsairs stronghold from Tera, Equalized 15x15 BG, that could was available from lv 30(cap on Tera was 65)

Check this out when you have time

As someone that played Tera. I gotta say. I didn't quite find that game mode enjoyable. It was a free for all with no coordination between teams and just absolutely bonkers.

why do a new gamemode if no one want to play it?

ANet already added a deathmatch map to see if it would be viagle. Highly failed. No one wanted to change they're meta to play it, no one was happy of it, no one wanted to play in that map/mode. Still everyone want a deathmatch mode...Useless say that if they add it again it will fail again. And again. And again.

Different game mode with some NPC to kill/defend and strongholds to defend and destroy with supplies and bonuses? Took a little more time because it was a interesting mode but still failed. No one wanted to change the meta build, learn a new mechanic and more, as always. Failed.

Different map bonuses and ways to obtain points with the same mechanic as conquer? Spiritwatch grante d the chance to win both with the orb or holding points. Everyone hated it because players had to pay attention to more than one mechanic. The same for other maps that grants points in other ways than holding points.

Try to have different game modes is good and make the community bigger with ideas and suggestions, but will drammatically Lose, as always.If you look, ANet made other game modes hiding them under the actual one to try them out. They immediatly drop the idea because no one want to change they're meta, they're build, they're way to win. No one want to learn a new mechanic, still if it's just a thing like "kill the enemy team, the one that survive win". Too much energy to make a new build only for it. Nah, that will never work.

Idk why no one want to put a little effort to make a build viable for other modes (like if in sPvP to change build you have to pay...) or just to learn a mechanic that is a little different than "sit in the circle and don't move".

Anyway, after years and years, I learnt that is useless try to add a new game mode: everyone will hate it, still if it's beautifull.

@"Silv.9207" said:Idk why no one want to put a little effort to make a build viable for other modes (like if in sPvP to change build you have to pay...) or just to learn a mechanic that is a little different than "sit in the circle and don't move".

Well maybe they need to add some build templates to make different game modes work.

Archived