Keyboard Movement

When farming Istan recently, I began trying to just play with Keyboard, completely forgetting mouse. (I wanted to be lazy.) I have been using the numpad for my skill uses and just pre-positioning my mouse to be targeting the ground near me. Using tab to target enemies.

I've noticed that when I'm holding down a skill button with the numpad, my character will actually refuse to change movement unless the previous movement key is unpressed. (Keys: A/D/Q/E) Forward and backward movement are uninterrupted. While the numpad button is pressed. I can only activate 1 movement button at a time. So I have to stop moving forward, to pivot, right, left or sidestep. When I use the regular number keys above the keyboard, such movement is normal.

Is there a particular reason for this? Has anyone found a work around? (Like re-binding the numpad buttons to use the horizontal number strip?) Seems this could be a computer or keyboard error but I wanted to ask you guys and see if you have any ideas or thoughts about this.

Side Note: If i'm backing up while pressing any numpad buttons, I can actually turn and sidestep going in reverse. So it's only moving forward that seems to be an issue.

@"Topalai.4789" said:It might be that your keyboard has some rollover issues when using the keypad.There should be some software that can help you test but I don't have any experience with that.Also check the keybinds in game to make sure the numpad and movement keys aren't double bound to actions.

Checked all that, the numpad is only bound to skill keys. And you'd think that if the numpad were interfering, why would the rotation and sidestep buttons work when i'm moving backwards but not forwards?

@"Alimar.8760" said:

Checked all that, the numpad is only bound to skill keys. And you'd think that if the numpad were interfering, why would the rotation and sidestep buttons work when i'm moving backwards but not forwards?

Because of how keyboards (especially usb keyboards) work. There is a limit to how many keypresses they can handle at one time and they don't always handle keys the same way, so sometimes you can press 4/5/6 keys and they all get registered and sometimes you can press 3 and the 4th won't get registered because it conflicts with the other 3. It's easy to test if you keyboard does this with one of the tools, check something like http://random.xem.us/rollover.html, press the keys as you would while playing and see if it registers the keys correctly.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Just in case, have you tried a -repair of the client?Tried updating any keyboard drivers?keyboard drivers are up to date, as far as I know.@"Topalai.4789" said:Because of how keyboards (especially usb keyboards) work. There is a limit to how many keypresses they can handle at one time and they don't always handle keys the same way, so sometimes you can press 4/5/6 keys and they all get registered and sometimes you can press 3 and the 4th won't get registered because it conflicts with the other 3. It's easy to test if you keyboard does this with one of the tools, check something like http://random.xem.us/rollover.html, press the keys as you would while playing and see if it registers the keys correctly.

Thanks for that website. Yes, it seems that when i'm pressing "Numpad 1" and "W" that no other key presses are registered. Any other buttons on the numpad still allow other keys to be pressed. Seems to only be an issue with "W" and Numpad 1. Any thoughts on this? or could it be the nature of the hardware itself?

Archived