Severe ping and relay issues, can't play WvW anymore

I am writing this kind of sad because I am realising I can't play my favourite game mode anymore. Usually in WvW I get about 50-200ms ping, which is acceptable to me and doesn't interfere with my gameplay too much (I am playing on a WiFi connection, which hasn't changed in any way for the past year). Recently in WvW I am getting an average ping of 400ms, which spikes up to 4000 (!) during large fights, and my relay response also dips into red and goes as low as 5-10, meaning my skill won't register. Today I had a truly bizarre connection issue in WvW where I was showing as disconnected and couldn't use skills, but could talk to people in chat.

This hasn't always been an issue. Even just 1-2 months ago I could play fine, with perfectly playable connection even in zerg fights with a full map Q on each side.

Why is this happening? What can I do (also, sadly a wired connection is not an option)? I read ArenaNet switched to some cheap Amazon servers a while ago and it has been giving people problems, is that true?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived