Picking A Profession For PvE

Arixbai.8645

I'm thinking of returning and I'm not sure what to play now. I left before unsure of what to play and that partly caused me to jump ship. I'm not very rigid about what to play nor do I expect to only play one profession, but I want to focus on one for a while to get used to the controls again and work on fractals and actually get past T1 and begin work on learning raids.I have everything but Warrior and Thief at 80, and I tend to favor support more than dps. From what I understand, Chrono and Druid would be the best, but between the two, I'm very unsure. I played Chrono in fractals some right around PoF release and enjoyed it, but so many changes and new elite specs have come out since I last seriously played.

My end goal is to provide support for the party, my dps does not matter to me as long as party dps is on par (not to say I'd slack on the dps aspect, but just that I don't care if I'm expected to do 15k+ dps to increase everyone else's). I don't mind healing and/or dpsing, and I tend to lean a little towards the healing side, but I'm a little wary on tanking as I have horrible tanking anxiety in FFXIV and it might transfer over to here. I feel like the likely answer would be Chrono, but I'd love to see other viable options for likely getting into pug raids eventually, especially if that minimizes the chance of having to tank.

We’re currently in a meta where there are many viable dps builds and a good handful of support builds. Pretty much every class has both a power and condi build, so choose some combo your interested in and find a build for it either on Metabattle or SnowCrows. For support classes, chrono and Druid are still meta, especially in pugs. Other supports can include Firebrand, Renegade, Tempest, Scourge, and even Scrapper, although Chrono is still preferred because of their utility and tanking, and Druid healing because of perma might and fury, and spirits and spotter.

@AlexndrTheGreat.8310 said:We’re currently in a meta where there are many viable dps builds and a good handful of support builds. Pretty much every class has both a power and condi build, so choose some combo your interested in and find a build for it either on Metabattle or SnowCrows. For support classes, chrono and Druid are still meta, especially in pugs. Other supports can include Firebrand, Renegade, Tempest, Scourge, and even Scrapper, although Chrono is still preferred because of their utility and tanking, and Druid healing because of perma might and fury, and spirits and spotter.

I'm mostly asking, while doing my own research, because I noticed that even if something is usable or even desired in certain comps, it doesn't mean a pug group would take it. Not that I'm doubting that any of those are good by any means, but I worry it would be like FFXIV where certain classes are viable, they're not meta or just have a stigma attached to them, or even when I played before and a training group straight told me they would refuse to take anything other than Druids and Chronos for support.

I've been watching videos to see what interests me the most, and Chrono really does hit almost every mark. I'm just very reluctant to tank and the nature theme of Druid with the support is a huge draw. I know only one Chrono has to tank in most fights, but I'd rather not be the one stuck tanking. Support Herald or Renegade, or support Scourge seem interesting as well, but I'm wary of being turned away as a secondary healer and not being a Druid.

Archived