Need help deciding on a main

Archivist.8109

I've been playing for some time, and I'm having trouble deciding on a main. I can't seem to find a good profession/spec that's competitive in PvE that I also enjoy. I was thinking that elementalist and eventually weaver seemed cool but then got told weaver is garbage. I was thinking deadeye would be awesome but then found out nobody uses rifle on it because it sucks and that was half the fun for me, so nope.

Can anyone recommend a decent elite spec end-game build that won't get laughed out of raids? Or tell me if people are being dramatic and one of my other options is viable?

You can still use those weapons in most of pve content. Rifle specifically requires you to be immobile, which is hard to do in end game since you need to be in melee range to receive group buffs and you're constantly getting bombarded by mechanics. Deadeye and dh are pretty much the only specs that dont use new weapon for optimal raid/fractal builds.

@Archivist.8109 said:So I started playing mesmer and I actually really enjoy it a lot. For Mirage, is axe/pistol a viable setup? I know torch is good for condi damage but pistol seems a little more fun, wondering if I can swing it.

Sure is but you need to trait it for bleeding stacks (assuming you play condi since you mentioned Axe). As far as I know the meta dps build for condi Mirage uses A/T and A/P so pistol is definitely viable.

I will say that DE rifle is not really garbage. Of course immobilized yourself to max your dps is not very fun but in open world I never kneel except for some boss that don't spawn aoe everywhere and I still have good damage to clear mobs really fast just no aoe. Rifle is very good in WvW solo roaming. Not that much in PvP.But if you have fun playing Mesmer you should play it since it's good for all content and always wanted in group.

@MikeL.8260 said:

@Archivist.8109 said:So I started playing mesmer and I actually really enjoy it a lot. For Mirage, is axe/pistol a viable setup? I know torch is good for condi damage but pistol seems a little more fun, wondering if I can swing it.

Sure is but you need to trait it for bleeding stacks (assuming you play condi since you mentioned Axe). As far as I know the meta dps build for condi Mirage uses A/T and A/P so pistol is definitely viable.

And even if it wasn't meta, you can always run around the Open World with whatever weapons you like. Then put on the meta weapons when you do end game content. With Mirage you can run the meta DPS build anyway since it is survivable enough for OW as well.

Archived