Need help deciding on a main — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Need help deciding on a main

Archivist.8109Archivist.8109 Member ✭✭
edited November 2, 2018 in Professions

I've been playing for some time, and I'm having trouble deciding on a main. I can't seem to find a good profession/spec that's competitive in PvE that I also enjoy. I was thinking that elementalist and eventually weaver seemed cool but then got told weaver is garbage. I was thinking deadeye would be awesome but then found out nobody uses rifle on it because it sucks and that was half the fun for me, so nope.

Can anyone recommend a decent elite spec end-game build that won't get laughed out of raids? Or tell me if people are being dramatic and one of my other options is viable?

Comments

• InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭

If you like weaver play weaver. Its good and still one of the highest dmg output on big hotboxes. For open PvE nothing is garbage and everything has use.
    Ranger and warrior have good e-specs for endgame and mesmer is basically meta since february in all modes.

• It's weird to me that so many elite specs get new weapon types and then those weapon types are garbage for that spec. Like a sniper deadeye sounds awesome but... :(

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

You can still use those weapons in most of pve content. Rifle specifically requires you to be immobile, which is hard to do in end game since you need to be in melee range to receive group buffs and you're constantly getting bombarded by mechanics. Deadeye and dh are pretty much the only specs that dont use new weapon for optimal raid/fractal builds.

Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    The God of Pips and Gud Deeps
    Froggo himself

• rng.1024rng.1024 Member ✭✭✭✭

Mesmer will give you access to all those exclusive parties ;)

• So I started playing mesmer and I actually really enjoy it a lot. For Mirage, is axe/pistol a viable setup? I know torch is good for condi damage but pistol seems a little more fun, wondering if I can swing it.

• MikeL.8260MikeL.8260 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2018

@Archivist.8109 said:
    So I started playing mesmer and I actually really enjoy it a lot. For Mirage, is axe/pistol a viable setup? I know torch is good for condi damage but pistol seems a little more fun, wondering if I can swing it.

Sure is but you need to trait it for bleeding stacks (assuming you play condi since you mentioned Axe). As far as I know the meta dps build for condi Mirage uses A/T and A/P so pistol is definitely viable.

• I will say that DE rifle is not really garbage. Of course immobilized yourself to max your dps is not very fun but in open world I never kneel except for some boss that don't spawn aoe everywhere and I still have good damage to clear mobs really fast just no aoe. Rifle is very good in WvW solo roaming. Not that much in PvP.
    But if you have fun playing Mesmer you should play it since it's good for all content and always wanted in group.

• Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MikeL.8260 said:

@Archivist.8109 said:
    So I started playing mesmer and I actually really enjoy it a lot. For Mirage, is axe/pistol a viable setup? I know torch is good for condi damage but pistol seems a little more fun, wondering if I can swing it.

Sure is but you need to trait it for bleeding stacks (assuming you play condi since you mentioned Axe). As far as I know the meta dps build for condi Mirage uses A/T and A/P so pistol is definitely viable.

And even if it wasn't meta, you can always run around the Open World with whatever weapons you like. Then put on the meta weapons when you do end game content. With Mirage you can run the meta DPS build anyway since it is survivable enough for OW as well.

• Eekasqueak.7850Eekasqueak.7850 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Archivist.8109 said:

Use both, get a sigil of energy on the torch and pistol and swap often for more ambush attacks on your axe.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.