Ret.player - help with choice

LiPi.4938

Dear willing players,

i have returned after quite long time and changed servers to play with newbie friends. Now as you already expect, the question is what to main.I am a bit of altoholic, but im no longer able to keep up with friends with 3 characters (we are now in 30-40 lvl range) and i have still not decided.I used to play ranger and warrior in past, but dont want those anymore. I have read about the elite specializations and im currently on verge between

• Necro / Reaper
  • Mesmer / Mirage
  • Engi / Holosmith

I have all 3 of them around lvl 35.Im looking for proffesions able to solo and sPvP, play with my 3-4 friends (so at least some support/utility choices), but i dont want proffession who is supposedly healer/support at max.I will not be raiding , if so, maybe just to see the story if i get into some pug. Fractals like so, very causal if we are capable with friends.Could you guys please help me with your opinions? If i read it after me, i look for all purpose main, which i can stick to and not be frustrated in any game mode with (on casual lvl).

PS: My back up choices if i dont choose from these 3 are revenant or thief, i just found thief too solo centered to play with friends and revenant seems to play with staff at end, which i dont like for melee character. And yes i know i can lvl all of them, but my friends will be too ahead and i sort of try to help/mentor. I need main character otherwise i quit mmorpgs if i dont have one.

You have to level a class to 80 to get a proper understanding of how play them. Just pick whichever character you like the most and level it. If you tire of it just use a different character.If you are not going to be raiding then all classes have good enough dps builds. You don't have to worry about being forced to play a support role.

Considering your choice to not be interested in Raids, all three are completely viable for use in Open World.

Reaper has good solo survivability in that it's got minions that can tank aggro away from yourself, has a "High" level of health (~19k base at level 80), and has their secondary HP bar in their Reaper Shroud. Depending on if you play it power or condi, its damage output can vary, but for open world, this is negligible. You will still do enough that you'll get credit for mobs you're smacking around. Regarding fractals, it's completely viable for casual groups, but be wary of the pop-in elitist who will rage at you for your choice. Don't let it discourage you, though. Play it if you have fun.

Mirage has extraordinary condition DPS, but it's fairly single-target. It does have decent enough cleave to still get credit in most open world situations, but it really shines against single target bosses. These same conditions apply to fractals. My Mirage is my main Fractal runner. Some fractals I contribute slightly lower (Cliffside with all the mobs, lots of cleave, not a lot of ramp time), but against the final bosses, Mirage will always be very powerful. Regarding survivability, Mirages have quite a number of dodges at their disposal, even more if you invest in Energy sigils for your weapons (Regain 50% endurance on weapon swap). Those are great because dodging also triggers Mirage Ambush attacks, dealing more damage for you while being defensive.

And for Holosmith, power DPS that has a very easy rotation. It has very good cleave but does require you to be melee range (unless you forgo a slight dps loss for a Ranged attack on your Photon Forge 1 skill, but this is stuff you'd experiment with as you unlock the class). The big pro that Holosmith has is unparalleled CC. If there's a mob that has a breakbar, Holosmiths can utterly demolish them with their standard skills. You can also trait in decent survivablility if necessary.

In regards to your PS, Thief is very just power dpsdpsdps. It does have a condi variant of Daredevil, but I don't see it that often anymore.Revenant, and for that matter Herald and Renegade, have decent dps numbers and decent support options as well. Glint Facets and Renegade Citadel Commands both offer decent buffs or damage. It just depends on if you want to do power (Herald) or condi (Renegade) damage. Also, I don't see many revs use Staff outside of using it for CC. It kinda sucks otherwise.

Thank you all for your comments so far. Especially Tarka, this kind of comment i was looking for. As of now im keeping up with Necro, showing friends the aoe stuff. I put mesmer on hold, because friend play one, so its now just necro or engi. I feel like i can carry better with necro atm.

Archived