New to Warrior, intrigued by spellbreaker; need help.

Garimeth.8725

So I am alting warrior, coming over from ranger at launch, and DH guard in HoT. I'm still maining my FB, but I like power builds and a charr spellbreaker seems fun to me.

So far I have not unlocked all of SB and am running core war while I get it. I feel super squishy. I swapped over to healing shouts, I have a PVT trinket on from WvW, and idk... I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but I feel like my damage is ok - not FB or DH damage, but not bad. I just feel so squishy though even with 20k hp - I am getting constantly dropped or downed in PoF events or open world stuff that I can easily solo on my guard.

This is what I have been switching between:Tankier, but slow to kill, set-up:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJEQRAnZ5ej8cmOq8wOPjH2d2Q4EdiGUCq8Gqhf4yiAI41pY0LBA-jhxIwAb1wA4AKI4AFcX9ndK/SqEMAwBQAmf+5nHpAYTmG-e

Dps set-up (what I would like to work):http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJEQRAnZ5ejEdmOq8w2OjH2d2Q4EdiG+Bq7NugrXTjcfHsFIAaAA-jhxIwAAOgCJVCuVDzd1f2p8TwBKIAwBQAmf+5nHpAYTmG-e

Any help is appreciated. I know people say that power war is in a bad spot, but I am pretty sure part of my problem is just not knowing the class.

I'm a WvW roamer, here are some thoughts on how we survive in the field while doing damage, as a core warrior. All these can be used in PvE, although one can exchange sustain for damage once one is familiar with the class and various encounters, as PvE is way more predictable than PvP fights (so less need on defense, to no need at all).

A core warrior can sustain very well using offensive gear, relying on:

• Greatsword #3, which is an evade on short CD, doing damage. The GS is the weapon of choice for a power warrior. When traited, it gives might on each critical hit, and offers mobility to help you disengage quickly if needed (just turn off auto-targeting in the options).
  • Might Makes Right, a grandmaster trait in Strength. Each time you get might, you get HP and endurance back. This is a trait you want, in a might-oriented build. For instance, standard roamer use GS (might on crit with Forceful Greatsword), shield (might on block with Shield Mastery) and axe (might on eviscerate with Axe Mastery). Also, Discipline gets you Versatile Power (might on swap every 5s with Fast Hands), Strength brings you Reckless Dodge, which does unblockable damage at melee, and is fueled with Might Makes Right and Building Momentum.
  • Adrenal Health, a minor trait in Defense. Each time you burst (F1), you get regen stacks. This is trait you want, in a build capable of generating lots of adrenaline, so that you burst as often as possible. Discipline brings you Versatile Rage (adrenaline on swap every 5s with Fast Hands), and you can choose Cleansing Ire in Defense to improve the generation (although most roamers use Last Stand, for the stab and the vigor synergy with Reckless Dodge).
  • Stances are king in roaming, which you can use as panic buttons for partial invulnerabilities.

The standard roaming build:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR3ejMdQZHWFCehAnIGICKLAigeGPhXYF0vY6jBA-jlCEABRcBA0THQbaGg4BAslSQAOCAMp8D+9H8X9nHOIAkBoaMA-w

Back to your build DPS build:

• You use gear to try and get passive sustain (soldier stats), and use specializations for damage, while you should be doing the opposite: use gear for offensive stats (berserker), and specializations / traits / utilities to adjust your sustain options.
  • Consider using the Healing Signet, easier to manage and very good (plus the resistance if you're condi-bombed).
  • Consider switching Arms for Defense, so you get Adrenal Health. You can keep Berserker's Power rather than Might Makes Right if you feel Adrenal Health is enough.
  • Main-hand mace is used primarily for utility (block, hard CC), but is single target, only useful on mobs with a breakbar.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

What? But warrior is the beginners class, easy to play, even dummies can do it, didnt you get that memo? Its so frickin overpowered, you should never drop.

Sorry, im salty about ppl who never played warrior calling it easymode and demanding more nerfs.

Jokes aside, if you die alot, try going for defense, keeping up adrenal health is key in that line, auto endure pain can help you survive unsuspected bursts, and auto balanced stance is helpful too.

In open world play i highly recommend using gs to kite around of mobs, especially when you got low on hp, kite gs, when they get close use burst skills to get adrenal health up and then use the mobillity to get some distance, whirl through them to get dmg in while gaining distance, try using the terrain, especially ranged mobs, line of sight is important to play with

Greatsword and Axe/Shield are really nice weapons for core Warriors.

If you die a lot, Strenght / Defense / Discipline works very well.

A mix of Berserker and Knight stat works better than Soldier stat. Dammage without Precision is insanely low in this game, even if you have 5 000 Power.

Mending and Healing Signet works very well.

You should use stances to help you survive. Balence Stance is great against CC, Berserker Stance is nice against conditions, thought Shake it off might be better.

I think @Ralkuth.1456 might know a lot more and he could help you a lot with builds as well.

@Edge.8724 said:I think @Ralkuth.1456 might know a lot more and he could help you a lot with builds as well.Thank you for the vote of confidence - I'll do my best.@"Garimeth.8725" Hello.I equally spend time between sPvP and Open World PvE. In another thread, I provided some Warrior build samples and explored the playstyle concept to ease one into playing Warrior "properly" - of course this is only my opinion.

Also, Elegie.3620 gives sound advice regarding how to build a stance-based Warrior and how it works. Stances and the Defense traitline offer a lot of powerful immunities. Try out any of our advice if they seem reasonable.

! I looked at your builds and to me it seems you are building very defensively in terms of stats, using full Soldiers; but very offensively in terms of traits and utilities, with 2 of your utility slots occupied with damage enhancers.! Soldiers cannot bring out the damage of the Warrior, and indeed any class - Power-based damage requires Power/Precision/Ferocity to become significant. By not gearing for damage, you are not taking full advantage of the traits and utilities you have setup.! I can appreciate that you are trying to run your own build with its own synergies - you seem to want to use CCs and your Physical utilities to provide crit rate and damage buff, but a lot of the traits you pick are not the strongest ones Warriors have to offer.! Can you tell me what you want to do with the build?!

I'll offer my versions of your builds shown, note that in my opinion, "tanky" is relative and Warrior doesn't need too much defensive stat - its traits and playstyle affect its survival the most:

! Warrior has the highest tier of Health, so unless it's a sPvP/WvW situation where you face extremely heavy condition pressure, we avoid wasting stats on it, and instead we try to maximise effective health by using Toughness.! Tanky, Rousing Resilience Core Warrior is packed with short Stunbreaks - the idea is to utilize Rousing Resilience to the fullest. Always aim to get out of a stun with your utilities to obtain healing and temporary toughness. "Shake it Off!" and weapon swaps cleanse conditions. Utilise your sources of healing. (1) The synergy of the Strength traitline, Precision stat and the Greatsword through Might Makes Right; (2) Always, always land your Burst skills to activate the Adrenal Health buff from the Defense traitline - it doubles your health regeneration from your Healing Signet (3) Earth Runes increases all sources of Warrior healing by 10%. Remember when you have no defensive cooldowns left, it's best to maintain distance and get behind cover to wait it out.! Damage + Stance-oriented Core Warrior allows you to take advantage of your Stance immunities to stay in the fight a bit longer and deal more damage, but remember to disengage with Greatsword once your powerful Stances are down.!

You might notice the presence of the Greatsword on the builds.

! Greatsword is a versatile weapon for the Power Warrior, offering an easy to use Burst skill, an evade and a long dash for mobility, and high base damage. Generally, you always want to use your Arcing Slice (F1 skill) on cooldown, try to use Whirlwind Attack in place of an evade, and then use Rush to get back to your target. Hundred Blades when there is an opening to attack (always be ready to cancel this skill if an attack is incoming; you can cancel even earlier to use an F1 or Whirlwind Attack), and Bladetrail when engaging an enemy or before Rushing back in. Refer to my previous posts I linked at the top of this reply for more tips on how to use this weapon.

You might have questions about traits and weapons and if they have their uses - and yes they do, for different situations in the Open World. It all depends, and I can try to explain why I think a certain weapon is good/bad in the context of what you are trying to do.

! The truth in terms of the player-made meta is that, there are certain weapons and certain traits that work the best together at a certain time, which governs the playstyle that a certain class/build may have. If you would like to play an effective Core Warrior, or Spellbreaker - you might have to massively alter the build and weapons you have setup, as well as the way you play the class, right now - and you should ask yourself if that is something you are prepared to do. If you are, then it might be a good idea to try out some of the meta builds found here.!! Also, there is a rather interesting

- would this be something you are aiming for?

@RedShark.9548 said:What? But warrior is the beginners class, easy to play, even dummies can do it, didnt you get that memo? Its so frickin overpowered, you should never drop.

Sorry, im salty about ppl who never played warrior calling it easymode and demanding more nerfs.

Jokes aside, if you die alot, try going for defense, keeping up adrenal health is key in that line, auto endure pain can help you survive unsuspected bursts, and auto balanced stance is helpful too.

In open world play i highly recommend using gs to kite around of mobs, especially when you got low on hp, kite gs, when they get close use burst skills to get adrenal health up and then use the mobillity to get some distance, whirl through them to get dmg in while gaining distance, try using the terrain, especially ranged mobs, line of sight is important to play with

It gets harder timing anything vs. people who know how to use z-axis teleports or attack while evading.

Literally Ranger can be A LOT easier just because evade spamming while attacking with pet. Warrior in order to evade spam has to hit someone in melee range with the endurance on might trait, but then wait until ranged unblockables lmao..

Archived