Any word on projectile fixes coming to WvW maps?

Atros.9607

Not just projectiles and lots of places all over. Line of sight for some porting skills are totally broken by some invisible wall for "no valid path", even whole areas like the little hill you jump over between SWC and SWT, jump up there and try to use JI to someone standing right next to you on it....Nothing, try and use sword 2 on guard....Nothing. Lots of places like this all over, what is the most odd is it effects some skills and not others, mostly ground targeted skills will still work, I can't tell you how many times I have had a thief or mes port up a small cliff say with blink etc, and I am standing in the same spot spamming JI and going no where, then at random times JI will go off and not port you anywhere. I have reported many, a number of times, no change and no response from the reports.

I always thought it was the corpses of Dolyaks, even after they disappeared, that blocked the projectiles. I don't experience the problem when no dolyaks have died in the camps. But if dolyaks did die in the camp, I seemingly always get obstructed where their bodies were, for even a few minutes after they disappear.

Use in the in-game /bug reporting tool or take screenshots to submit a support ticket with specific locations. There are numerous areas in WvW, PvP, & Open World that are obstructed, not just for projectiles but also teleports.

However, there's zero chance ANet can find them all, or even that many of them, unless people report them with enough detail that a programmer can replicate the result we are seeing in game. Sure, it's technically not "our job" to document bugs. It just goes a long, long way to speeding up the process.

tl;dr you want false-positive projectile projections fixed? let ANet know specifically when/where you see them.

@"Turk.5460" said:I always thought it was the corpses of Dolyaks, even after they disappeared, that blocked the projectiles. I don't experience the problem when no dolyaks have died in the camps. But if dolyaks did die in the camp, I seemingly always get obstructed where their bodies were, for even a few minutes after they disappear.

Nah, it's inherent in uneven ground. Notice the recently redone sections like Ogrewatch it's become nearly impossible to blink anywhere.I'm sure most of us are familiar with the polygonal nature of current "3D" gaming, we're all made of tiny triangles set at angles to one another. Sometimes, the edges of the triangles don't meet up properly, this creates a dead zone. When the pathing of another object (projectile, npc on quest path, player trying to blink) intersects the dead zone, it creates an error. As in the game world you don't actually pass through the air above the ground, but travel along the ground at a set height.

@LetoII.3782 said:

@"Turk.5460" said:I always thought it was the corpses of Dolyaks, even after they disappeared, that blocked the projectiles. I don't experience the problem when no dolyaks have died in the camps. But if dolyaks
did
die in the camp, I seemingly always get obstructed where their bodies were, for even a few minutes after they disappear.

Nah, it's inherent in uneven ground. Notice the recently redone sections like Ogrewatch it's become nearly impossible to blink anywhere.I'm sure most of us are familiar with the polygonal nature of current "3D" gaming, we're all made of tiny triangles set at angles to one another. Sometimes, the edges of the triangles don't meet up properly, this creates a dead zone. When the pathing of another object (projectile, npc on quest path, player trying to blink) intersects the dead zone, it creates an error. As in the game world you don't actually pass through the air above the ground, but travel along the ground at a set height.

That's a very complicated way of saying "your game is kitten bugged mate".

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Turk.5460" said:I always thought it was the corpses of Dolyaks, even after they disappeared, that blocked the projectiles. I don't experience the problem when no dolyaks have died in the camps. But if dolyaks
did
die in the camp, I seemingly always get obstructed where their bodies were, for even a few minutes after they disappear.

That's a very complicated way of saying "your game is kitten bugged mate".

Actually, it's a complicated way of saying, "no, it's not a bug as such, it's a complex interaction between what we think we see in game and what is actually there."

There are far too many potential paths that players, teleports, shadowsteps, & projectiles can take for QA to test most, let alone all of them. There are bound to be situations in which there are 'walls' or 'holes' that don't seem to have a visible marker.

The simplest is example is that sometimes we can walkthrough a tree trunk, but get "tripped" by a small branch. The first case might (or might not) be deliberate for easy of movement, but the second often comes from someone adjusting things aesthetically without checking the potential pathing, so that the 'bump' remains, even though the visible reason for it was removed.

Regardless, none of us have to know the reasons behind it. We just have to remember that ANet can learn much more quickly if we take the time to tell them where these false-blocks occur. In other words: you want it fixed? File a report.(Near as I can tell, a couple of times a year, someone goes through a lot of our reports, makes fixes, and gets them into the live game silently.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:when/While playing on my ranger.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:/whereIn wvw.

To be fair though sometimes obstructions happen during a fight or some event that has the player's full attention in such a way they don't think to hit the print screen button at that very moment. As well, it may only happen once or twice during a key moment that's not easy for the player to replicate (such as the specific position of NPC guards or enemy players you're trying to shoot, or I guess teleport around.) I'm not thinking about pressing my print screen button at every moment, nor do I record videos. Sometimes a description is all we have.

That said, I will make an effort to capture situations where I can.

~ Kovu

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The simplest is example is that sometimes we can walkthrough a tree trunk, but get "tripped" by a small branch. The first case might (or might not) be deliberate for easy of movement, but the second often comes from someone adjusting things aesthetically without checking the potential pathing, so that the 'bump' remains, even though the visible reason for it was removed.

That would also be a complicated way of saying "your collision mesh is bugged mate". And no I dont really think that's how it works. Collison meshes are per static object, not baked into the map. Only terrain work like that. Otherwise we would have a bit of a problem with walls. Or well that's how it's supposed to work at least, we've actually seen when it breaks and desync.

As far as I know, the obstructed bug in camps was introduced with the tactivators and yes, it was reported loooooooong ago. There was never anything visible where obstructed occur. Skills obstructed by seemingly flat terrain (its often not, even the slightest raise will cause LoS failure) is a whole other thing.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Use in the in-game /bug reporting tool or take screenshots to submit a support ticket with specific locations. There are numerous areas in WvW, PvP, & Open World that are obstructed, not just for projectiles but also teleports.

However, there's zero chance ANet can find them all, or even that many of them, unless people report them with enough detail that a programmer can replicate the result we are seeing in game. Sure, it's technically not "our job" to document bugs. It just goes a long, long way to speeding up the process.

tl;dr you want false-positive projectile projections fixed? let ANet know specifically when/where you see them.

There are literally dozens and dozens of places allover Alpine - EB - Desert.That would take hours and hours to do,if we can find them Anet can aswell.

Archived