What ping do you roam in WvW with?

Joshewwah.2956

On a good day 210-280 on EU. During lag season 300 to 600 avg lag. Lag spikes are a different story and hit 4k. On NA my normal pings are 280 and the lag in the same I've described for EU. Right now there is a lot of avg lag and lag spikes for me on both regions. For roaming on my end (and on both regions) I think anything under 280 is fine. Actually you can get away with even 310 as long as the ping is stable.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:On a good day 210-280 on EU. During lag season 300 to 600 avg lag. Lag spikes are a different story and hit 4k. On NA my normal pings are 280 and the lag in the same I've described for EU. Right now there is a lot of avg lag and lag spikes for me on both regions. For roaming on my end (and on both regions) I think anything under 280 is fine. Actually you can get away with even 310 as long as the ping is stable.

Do you win lots of duels in EU when you roam? What win % do you think you have?

@DemonSeed.3528 said:On a good day 210-280 on EU. During lag season 300 to 600 avg lag. Lag spikes are a different story and hit 4k. On NA my normal pings are 280 and the lag in the same I've described for EU. Right now there is a lot of avg lag and lag spikes for me on both regions. For roaming on my end (and on both regions) I think anything under 280 is fine. Actually you can get away with even 310 as long as the ping is stable.

Try this to reduce ping:

• Character Model Limit : Medium or High
  • LOD Distance : Medium or Low

This is to limit not only the amount of models but also to show only the close effects. Having LOD distance at high makes the GW2 to try to draw far objects too, while setting it to medium gives more priority to closer objects.

Example: From what i can experience, Not drawn thieves does not happen anymore, there is no more Invisible CoR , and i can see now the meteors when those are in my area. Before with the same settings but having LoD distance at high made a lot of objects not to be drawn in time due to objects queue.

To avoid insta-spike damage due to lag you should be displaying the combat log with only the incoming damage. That work wonders as somehow let knows the server to send the info about hits before apply those to your character.

That should alleviate your issues with the ping. Although with that ping i would advise you to go for reaper or scourge.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@DemonSeed.3528 said:On a good day 210-280 on EU. During lag season 300 to 600 avg lag. Lag spikes are a different story and hit 4k. On NA my normal pings are 280 and the lag in the same I've described for EU. Right now there is a lot of avg lag and lag spikes for me on both regions. For roaming on my end (and on both regions) I think anything under 280 is fine. Actually you can get away with even 310
as long
as the ping is stable.

Try this to reduce ping:
  • Character Model Limit : Medium or High
  • LOD Distance : Medium or Low

This is to limit not only the amount of models but also to show only the close effects. Having LOD distance at high makes the GW2 to try to draw far objects too, while setting it to medium gives more priority to closer objects.

Example: From what i can experience, Not drawn thieves does not happen anymore, there is no more Invisible CoR , and i can see now the meteors when those are in my area. Before with the same settings but having LoD distance at high made a lot of objects not to be drawn in time due to objects queue.

To avoid insta-spike damage due to lag you should be displaying the combat log with only the incoming damage. That work wonders as somehow let knows the server to send the info about hits before apply those to your character.

That should alleviate your issues with the ping. Although with that ping i would advise you to go for reaper or scourge.

CPU/GPU lag has nothing or little to do with network lag/latency. As long as your frames aren't spiking, then the bottleneck is the server distance

@Joshewwah.2956 said:CPU/GPU lag has nothing or little to do with network lag/latency. As long as your frames aren't spiking, then the bottleneck is the server distance

Ok i agree. Still, Are you sure your CPU / WIFI lag is not affecting in some limited aspect the perceived lag?

Either way this game doesn't have many tales or visual information when the attacks happen, most of them are instant (1/4 sec or 1/2 sec cast is almost instant) so moderate ping(~250) is not going to affect you much if you are not able to foresee the enemy actions in advance.

Because yes, this game is mostly wild guessing what the other will do.

A 400-600 ping it is worrisome, a ~250 is usually payable.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@Joshewwah.2956 said:CPU/GPU lag has nothing or little to do with network lag/latency. As long as your frames aren't spiking, then the bottleneck is the server distance

Ok i agree. Still, Are you sure your CPU / WIFI lag is not affecting in some limited aspect the perceived lag?

Either way this game doesn't have many tales or visual information when the attacks happen, most of them are instant (1/4 sec or 1/2 sec cast is almost instant) so moderate ping(~250) is not going to affect you much if you are not able to foresee the enemy actions in advance.

Because yes, this game is mostly wild guessing what the other will do.

A 400-600 ping it is worrisome, a ~250 is usually payable.

Those with lower ping are more likely to do clutch dodges. I'd have to anticipate a burst before it'd even happen if the server is to consider that my character has dodged. If I react normally like other people, by the time I dodge, my character would've died already or taken the damage, server side.

@Joshewwah.2956 said:Those with lower ping are more likely to do clutch dodges. I'd have to anticipate a burst before it'd even happen if the server is to consider that my character has dodged. If I react normally like other people, by the time I dodge, my character would've died already or taken the damage, server side.And that's why i told you to show in the window chat all the incoming damage. Did you try that?You are welcome.

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@DemonSeed.3528 said:On a good day 210-280 on EU. During lag season 300 to 600 avg lag. Lag spikes are a different story and hit 4k. On NA my normal pings are 280 and the lag in the same I've described for EU. Right now there is a lot of avg lag and lag spikes for me on both regions. For roaming on my end (and on both regions) I think anything under 280 is fine. Actually you can get away with even 310
as long
as the ping is stable.

I roam with 200 ping in NA, win ratio is about 80% i'd say.

this is kinda insane to me. I'm pretty sure my ping is about 40ms on EU servers unless it's prime time and there are lots of players on all maps... usually no higher than 70 or so at least. I'm used to it and I can definitely feel a difference if it starts to get higher because servers are getting full or whatever it is. when it does get high and the game feels very laggy it's usually 200+ ping.

but I also tend to stay away from maps with high queues and populations because I can't stand playing when there's even a tiny delay. also I guess I don't really play during prime time often so that might also be one of the reasons mine is low...

the server I'm playing on usually only has 2 maps with high populations during prime time so that means there's at least 1 map I can roam on with no lag.

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

as long
as the ping is stable.

I would say the majority, yes, but when there is any unstable ping or lag spikes then it will drop to 20% or 30% if I am lucky. I'm stubborn though and like to play whenever I can no matter what is happening on my end, this also serves to keep people on the other end happy too I suppose hehe.

Using wired here, already done the graphics changes from before but they did not make a difference. Whenever I feel the ping getting unstable I double check with my cellphone connection which sometimes does not get affected (routing problems I suppose), but sometimes both of them get hit. I will definitely try combat log to show only inc dmg, because I notice only certain class/builds can do burst combo's which seem to freeze me without me being able to respond because of the freezes, notably from mes mantra shatter builds. It's like I get a queue of all their skills even if I am reacting to anything onscreen in time, and it does not respond to any of my actions, at which I am dead by the time their skills come through. If it helps I'll make sure to update here, but I will have to run into a build that can drop a wombo combo first. This doesn't seem to happen all the time though, as I can usually avoid their shatter bursts, but it is something I have noticed so hearing that this may help is nice, thanks.

Everything above 100 means lag which means a big disadvantage vs enemy, even it's talk about duel, small or big group fights.I am from Canada, but I play on EU servers (because I have friends there). My ping is 180-200 (I play on 2k resolution). Even I have a GTX 1080, I try to play with medium or some low settings.I can say my ratio in WvW is around 90%. When I say WvW I talk about 1 vs 1 but most of the time 2vs 2 and 4-5 vs 4-5.

Ok, after just enabling inc dmg in combat log and disabling everything else I saw no difference. How is that meant to work btw? Doesn't the game client receive all that info regardless of what setting in combat log, but just not display it if not enabled? Is there something else it is supposed to be doing?

Archived