Should breakbars be removed?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its of the last mechanics that keep things at least a bit interesting in open world. Its already pretty easy in open world. Most breakbars can easily be ignored and still win which it a big mistake most of the time. That is why everyone is ignoring it so often and keep spamming autoattacks. It is already too casual.

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:I think it needs a rework in way of breaking it. And maybe more explaining done in game of how it works. And maybe add more consuquences to not breaking the bar

There are already enough bosses with enough consequences (wyverns for example) for not breaking them. Explaining is hard to do in a tutorial because each profession gets CC skills at a different pace, and no build has CC in the tutorial. Funnily enough, the very instance of Heart of Thorns teaches you Break bars by having you fight a Mordrem with a hammer on a tiny bridge.

hyperbole but:we could just exchance every boss with a giant chest that doesn´t fight back (which most of the core ones already are with a different skin).

breakbars have there place and should stay. it´s not to demanding for people to actually use cc skills.they add at least SOMETHING to the "fight" other than doing your rotation (or pushing buttons on cooldowns for the majority)

Breakbars are fine as they are. Most bosses are immune to CC anyway, so having them in there gives people a reason to place CC skills on their bar in the first place. It adds to the strategy of build making. Good players learn to take some skills that break bars. Obviously in PvP and WvW there are reason to take CC skills but there aren't nearly as many in PvE. Breakbars are the solution to this problem.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I don’t mind them. It’s better than autoattack to win.

They DO need to add a repeatable mechanics tutorial to this game which explains and demonstrates breakbars and combos. They can even add an NPC that talks to you and gives basic information about traits.

I was thinking about that, and I believe (not 100% sure) every lv10 story has 1 combative instance that is always there regardless of choice.At least for humans i'm sure, there's the cove across the lake of the lumbermill, where you meet up with the bandits.How about this for tutorial?

The door is currently guarded by a random bandit, but they can replace him by "Marlborm, the Indomatible". A big guy, with heavy armor, and a large shield.He's 'immortal' during the fight, but has a break bar. So players can use any CC they have unlocked at the time, or use the rocks lyring around with 'knock-down' to damage said break bar.This way, it's introduced in a very generous manner, he won't do enough damage to kill you, he's just there to knock you away from the door, and keep you from going on.Either use your own CC or the rocks lying around to knock him down.

(and since we're on the topic, the same can be done for dodging, having a very obvious trap behind said door, which you have to dodge-roll over)

I run two different sets of utility skills, one with lots of breakbars and one without. I've been known to temporarily retreat and switch them quickly when I'm not running them and happen upon a boss. (It's usually not enough if you're running around solo though.) Breakbars are fine; what would be nice is a faster way to switch builds.

@maddoctor.2738 said:Break bars are a fine mechanic. And to whoever selects the first choice: yeah let's go back to the boring stacks we had before break bars

Ohgods no. >.> Old Defiance was a wreck.

So far as how Defiance Bars work now, I'd say make two adjustments, mostly in how soft-CC is treated:

•Soft-CC damage needs proportional scaling (x% per second instead of 100/second). And maybe a few bosses need tuning on timing and the amount of bar they have.•Each boss could/should have a set of soft-CC they aren't immune to, which also does not deplete the breakbar. (Or if they're fully immune, proceed as normal.) If it becomes troublesome, like Blind could, grant temporary immunity that goes to the breakbar. Right now, professions that normally rely on those soft-CC methods are at a disadvantage or need coverage from others to aegis/protection/heal.

Otherwise, it's a fine enough system that keeps CC useful without allowing monoliths to get staggered or controlled.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I don’t mind them. It’s better than autoattack to win.

They DO need to add a repeatable mechanics tutorial to this game which explains and demonstrates breakbars and combos. They can even add an NPC that talks to you and gives basic information about traits.

I was thinking about that, and I believe (not 100% sure) every lv10 story has 1 combative instance that is always there regardless of choice.At least for humans i'm sure, there's the cove across the lake of the lumbermill, where you meet up with the bandits.How about this for tutorial?

The door is currently guarded by a random bandit, but they can replace him by "Marlborm, the Indomatible". A big guy, with heavy armor, and a large shield.He's 'immortal' during the fight, but has a break bar. So players can use any CC they have unlocked at the time, or use the rocks lyring around with 'knock-down' to damage said break bar.This way, it's introduced in a very generous manner, he won't do enough damage to kill you, he's just there to knock you away from the door, and keep you from going on.Either use your own CC or the rocks lying around to knock him down.

(and since we're on the topic, the same can be done for dodging, having a very obvious trap behind said door, which you have to dodge-roll over)

That’s a possibility, but not at so low level. You get your first utility skill at level 11, so most people will have no CC skills at level 10. Maybe level 20 as the last utility skill slot unlocks at level 19.

Another possibility, have the site in the PvP lobby so people will have access to all skills and the game send an email to players telling them about the tutorial and giving instructions on how to get to the PvP lobby.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I don’t mind them. It’s better than autoattack to win.

That’s a possibility, but not at so low level. You get your first utility skill at level 11, so most people will have no CC skills at level 10. Maybe level 20 as the last utility skill slot unlocks at level 19.

Another possibility, have the site in the PvP lobby so people will have access to all skills and the game send an email to players telling them about the tutorial and giving instructions on how to get to the PvP lobby.

There can always be a plank or something on the floor. It would have 5 available skills, and only 1 of them would do breakbar damange. The player would need to use that skill 2 times or something.

@Glider.5792 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I don’t mind them. It’s better than autoattack to win.

There can always be a plank or something on the floor. It would have 5 available skills, and only 1 of them would do breakbar damange. The player would need to use that skill 2 times or something.

True, but I think it’s better for players to first be taught to use their own skills rather than be taught to use enviromental weapons. Not only will they think that’s the way to do it and not change their utility skills to match the challenge but not all fights have environmental weapons to use. They’ll look around, see no environmental weapons and stay with autoattack.

Archived