[Suggestion] Scaled Dragon Wings Dye Problem

Kirius.3571

It’s not an error. It’s a design limitation that’s baked in from the how the game was coded before launch and at this time would take too much dev time to fix (time spent there means the devs aren’t spending time on other things that people want added to the game). Also, because it would be messing with code at the base of the game it would likely introduce game breaking bugs that are difficult to either find or fix.

At OP, i think its a design thing that you’re not tet aware off.While many gliders and backpacks are designed as pairs, they are in fact two seperate items.The backpack, is a piece if gear that can have stats, and upgrades/infusions.The glider is an animation/effect that appears while, well, gliding. This “animation effect” can be dyed, but the backpack cannot.Its a limitation in code that seems more troublesome to fix than we can possibly imagine.

There are other instances where one model is used for both slots, but only the glider can be dyed.

• Desert king scarab
  • Corrupted destroyer wings
  • dynamics module
  • zephyr feathersEtc

I’ve always considered it worth the effort to overhaul the system there, but I guess not many think the same.

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:

I’ve always considered it worth the effort to overhaul the system there, but I guess not many think the same.

There's a lot of people that thinks it's worth the effort. However, the only people with the ability to judge how much effort it actually would be say it's not worth it. I'm inclined to listen to them. ;)

Personally, I hope they're looking at workarounds - maybe they could use some of the same tech that shows gliders to actually "project" something on our backs on ground as well.

@wickedkae.4980 said:The system needs to be changed. I spend money, I want a working product. Anet is failing those of us that keep them in business.

Or perhaps, failing us would be them spending a large amount of limited dev hours on one thing and then more hours squashing the bugs that spring up instead of the many other requests that people ask for. People who feel that what they want is just as important as what you want. They also spent money and are asking to get what they want.

The devs here are gamers and we love what we do. We want fans to get excited about what we make because we're fans, too. However, we have players clamoring for every fix/feature under the sun so we have to do a ton of prioritizing. Game development is never plain and simple.

I want a working product

One of the problems they’ve spoken about for this item is that messing with the spaghetti code at the base of the game can trigger bugs for both players and NPCs that cause the game to be unplayable and would be very difficult to find and fix. In other words, bugs from this change could literally make the game no longer a “working product”

This sounds like a it could be good idea, but it doesn’t sidestep the issue of categorization and what certain types of assets can do. The older assets would still be affected. We’d still encounter a ton of programing challenges and bugs from altering a core mechanic of the game and the years of code built on top of it. Every player and many npcs use items, so the wrong bug slipping through can have a major impact on everyone in the game. Not to mention finding that bug could be like searching for a needle in a haystack because of how fundamental this part of our system is. We’d still probably end up having to re-author and retexture all old items (which would take a ton of resources) and even if we did do that, more players may end up upset by the minor texture changes to their current gear than those who can’t dye backpacks.

To reiterate:

• The Scaled Dragon Wings glider is just a near-identical design to the Scaled Dragon Wings backpack.
  • Backpacks (along with weapons) were designed to be undyeable because that decision allowed ANet to do other cool things with weapons (and backpacks). It also made them quicker to move from "idea" to "in game" than would be the case if they could be dyed.
  • Thus this isn't an example of "spaghetti" coding; it's an example of a deliberate design decision baked into the underlying engine.
  • Changing it to placate those who deem it important would create spaghetti, to overcome all the various bits of the code that assume that weapons (and backpacks) can't be dyed.

Archived