POF: If I Could Change One Thing...

I've been playing PoF and generally enjoying it a fair bit. I like the environment, the characters, the elites and the pacing. It's not quite up there with HoT, but that's fine because it's different, and many players will be thankful for that.

BUT. If there is one thing I would change, just one thing, it would be the writing. Let me explain: There are many, MANY points in the story, especially in LS3, where for a lack of a better term, the player must put up with the... Poop, of the story characters.

Teenage angst abounds, and all you can do as the player is literally nod your head. This has come to the forefront with PoF and some of the... Uh, political issues ANet have worked into the story like a jack hammer to a thumb tack.

Now don't get me wrong - I think it's cool that they've tried to work this into the story, it lends it an air of humanity. For example, the conversation the player has about religious indoctrination when they arrive at Vabbi.

However, here is the kicker - the player has NO CHOICE in the conversation. My character was forced to blather like a complete buffoon, and then be gently chided by the NPC. Yes, of course I understand that one cannot simply waltz into North K~I MEAN VABBI, and "free" the people. That could never work! Yet these are the conversational choices I must make to advance the story. Why? It feels childish, as if ANet must set the player up as a fool to tell them off and teach them a lesson.

So please, Arena Net: Add the charm / logical / aggressive conversational choices back into the game. You don't have to change the outcome, but it would make the player feel a whole lot more immersed in the game and a lot less like they are being force fed basic morality which they already understand.

Archived