Warrior Great Sword Rush (GS 5)

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294

Something's always kind of bothered me with the warrior's great sword 5 skill, Rush. You run across the screen from up to 1200 distance and take a giant swing with your great sword and whack your target for just under 700 damage (per the wiki description). And that's it. I was just thinking about that and...it really doesn't make sense. Think about it in real life. If you run full speed at a target and swing a great sword (or baseball bat or whatever) so that you hit your target just as you arrive, you've substantially increased the amount of force that will be delivered to your target, maybe by several orders of magnitude. And we're missing that on GS 5. To me, that kind of attack ought to have a knockdown on it too.

Whether it hits for 686 like the wiki says, or 7000, or even 70,000, think about the attack itself. You don't run across the room, stop and plant your feet, and then swing on the target. You run across the room and hit the target, stopping yourself. Take the sword out of it and you've got Bull's Charge. It should have a CC on hit. Even if it is only a quarter second knock down/knock back in PvE, it should be a hard CC. We're talking about applying more force - because all of your mass is behind it - than a Mace 3 Pommel Bash, and that grants you a 1 second daze.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:Whether it hits for 686 like the wiki says, or 7000, or even 70,000, think about the attack itself. You don't run across the room, stop and plant your feet, and then swing on the target. You run across the room and hit the target, stopping yourself. Take the sword out of it and you've got Bull's Charge. It should have a CC on hit. Even if it is only a quarter second knock down/knock back in PvE, it should be a hard CC. We're talking about applying more force - because all of your mass is behind it - than a Mace 3 Pommel Bash, and that grants you a 1 second daze.

maybe that's true, but I've yet to see an MMO that's modeled on being absolutely realistic either.

Granted, GS5 could probably have a knockdown or a daze attached to it if it were to be more realistic ... but that's not the primary importance here.

If ANet tried to balance every skill based on the realism of its animation, it would take ages and probably break the game's balance in the process.

Also, gs 3 (spinning across the floor like an ice skater in heavy armor while slashing things and evading attacks) and gs 4 (throwing a massive greatsword only for it to return like a boomerang) seem significantly less realistic on a conceptual level than gs 5 not having a knockdown.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:Something's always kind of bothered me with the warrior's great sword 5 skill, Rush. You run across the screen from up to 1200 distance and take a giant swing with your great sword and whack your target for just under 700 damage (per the wiki description). And that's it. I was just thinking about that and...it really doesn't make sense. Think about it in real life. If you run full speed at a target and swing a great sword (or baseball bat or whatever) so that you hit your target just as you arrive, you've substantially increased the amount of force that will be delivered to your target, maybe by several orders of magnitude. And we're missing that on GS 5. To me, that kind of attack ought to have a knockdown on it too.

You don't seem to understand how damage is calculated - the base damage is 686 with a coefficient of 1.7, meaning that, assuming your warrior has 2500 power and your opponent's armor is 2500 and you have ~10 stacks of might, and your GS is ascended, the damage would be: Power Weapon Strength 1.7 / Armor = 2800 1100 1.7 / 2500 = ~2100. If that's a crit then it can easily reach ~5k damage, which is not small at all. Have you actually tried using it in game?

Twilight Oasis elite warrior mobs use special kind rush - rush on steroids. It is so fucking fast and it has aoe knockdown... it's super annoying but at the same time I wish our Rush had at least the knockdown at the end :(There is also risen champ in Arah dungeon, who uses only the "whack" part of rush (without mobility charge) and it has launch on it.There are so many stunbreaks on short cooldown all around, one more cc on 20/16 sec cd won't make warrior op :P

@idolin.2831 said:

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:Something's always kind of bothered me with the warrior's great sword 5 skill, Rush. You run across the screen from up to 1200 distance and take a giant swing with your great sword and whack your target for just under 700 damage (per the wiki description). And that's it. I was just thinking about that and...it really doesn't make sense. Think about it in real life. If you run full speed at a target and swing a great sword (or baseball bat or whatever) so that you hit your target just as you arrive, you've substantially increased the amount of force that will be delivered to your target, maybe by several orders of magnitude. And we're missing that on GS 5. To me, that kind of attack ought to have a knockdown on it too.

You don't seem to understand how damage is calculated - the base damage is 686 with a coefficient of 1.7, meaning that, assuming your warrior has 2500 power and your opponent's armor is 2500 and you have ~10 stacks of might, and your GS is ascended, the damage would be: Power
Weapon Strength
1.7 / Armor = 2800
1.7 / 2500 = ~2100. If that's a crit then it can easily reach ~5k damage, which is not small at all. Have you actually tried using it in game?

Since I main a berserker warrior, yes, I have used it. And I pulled the damage number from the wiki. The actual damage that it does is irrelevant to question at hand. Would you care to address that point, or do you just want to argue irrelevancies?

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:

You don't seem to understand how damage is calculated - the base damage is 686 with a coefficient of 1.7, meaning that, assuming your warrior has 2500 power and your opponent's armor is 2500 and you have ~10 stacks of might, and your GS is ascended, the damage would be: Power
Weapon Strength
1.7 / Armor = 2800
1.7 / 2500 = ~2100. If that's a crit then it can easily reach ~5k damage, which is not small at all. Have you actually tried using it in game?

Since I main a berserker warrior, yes, I have used it. And I pulled the damage number from the wiki. The actual damage that it does is irrelevant to question at hand. Would you care to address that point, or do you just want to argue irrelevancies?

I've gone a bit off topic there - let me explain myself. With a damage of 686 (1.7), per the wiki, the skill deals a considerable amount of damage, given that its damage is higher than Arcing Slice - greatsword burst skill (532 (1.32)), Breaching Strike - dagger burst skill (550 (1.5)), and almost as high as Eviscerate - axe burst skill (734 (2.0)). The skill also can be used as a gap closer, an escape skill that is capable of removing Immobilized if traited, and I believe all open world, PvP or WvW builds use that trait.

My point is that the skill does enough to the point I'd say it's where it should be, it's fine without the ability to CC. Also, given that warriors have access to many other CC skills, I'd say it's even more unnecessary for the skill to be able to CC.

Archived