[Feedback] Mad King's Raceway [merged] — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

[Feedback] Mad King's Raceway [merged]

We've noticed a few threads about the Mad King's Raceway, and we're going to merge the threads in order to build a single thread to gather everyone's thoughts, feedback, and suggestions.

Please add your thoughts and your constructive suggestions!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager: ArenaNet
Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Tagged:
<134567

Comments

• Susy.7529Susy.7529 Member ✭✭✭

Doing a lap in less than 1 min is insane, Raptor lacks speed and beetle lacks maneuverability, how are we supposed to do that?!

• Palador.2170Palador.2170 Member ✭✭✭✭

Do you have the new mastery that gives you faster endurance regen for your mount?

Lip synching is just mime karaoke.

• Zhaid Zhem.6508Zhaid Zhem.6508 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018

I try like 20 times already, beetle crashs in every tombs or little rocks on the ground. I try to switch mounts, but what the point I don't have enough stamina.
    The best I did is with the beetles on the little stamin boost, then swap to raptor, then swap to beetles on the stamina boost... But I'm not sure it was designed like this, I don't know how to improve myself.

• I always wondered if people have special steering techniques with the Beetle. I always just crash into a wall whenever I use the beetle for anything.

• The beetle does not lack maneuverability. Practice drifting ("Mad Drifter" might be a clue).

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:
    The beetle does not lack maneuverability. Practice drifting ("Mad Drifter" might be a clue).

How do you drift?

• Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018

@Boysenberry.1869 said:

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:
    The beetle does not lack maneuverability. Practice drifting ("Mad Drifter" might be a clue).

How do you drift?

"Mount ability 2". https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Roller_Beetle says that the default binding is "C". Read the explanations carefully.

EDIT: bah, ninja'ed by @Warscythes.9307 ...

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Oh neat! I've never noticed or used "Mount Ability 2" before. Goes to show how much I pay attention. =)

• I don't have the mount so I don't have the mastery, it's literally impossible.

• ArthurDent.9538ArthurDent.9538 Member ✭✭✭✭

I was surprised at how difficult it was but it is definitely doable with some practice. The most annoying part though is that you can't do time trials whenever the race event pops up and it does this frequently.

• I'm surprised this wasnt set to the Gold award on the time trial, gaining an additional 5 seconds with all the map clutter is extremely frustrating with the intermittent races. 1min 1.51 seconds to gain somehow.

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018

@Susy.7529 said:
    how are we supposed to do that?!

I haven't come close to managing it. I'm just okay with the idea it might take me a while to figure it out, perhaps not even this year.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

There is difficulty to it, but if you don't boost every time it's up you can definitely do it on the beetle. My best time so far was 1:15, but I keep resetting after the first time I'm stuck. I think the real time is closer to 1:08 for me atm. Don't drift too much either, you can control comfortably without it through some of the points as well.

I'm thinking that the 2 min achievement will be made easier though. There is 0 room for mistakes and it requires you to perfectly use boosts and movement.

I rather choose death.

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

Mad Kings Clocktower on mounts.. what do you expect? you complete it within the first hour? Really?

Mad King says: Laugh!

@Vavume.8065 said:
    Devs need to go back and play an old game like wipeout to get a clue how to design a track that you need to drift around, cos this is not it. 1/10 pathetic. I'm about - this close to uninstall this game, this is not content...

It's not that bad once you're used to it. 2 minutes for three laps however... unrealistic

I rather choose death.

• @Blocki.4931 said:

@Vavume.8065 said:
    Devs need to go back and play an old game like wipeout to get a clue how to design a track that you need to drift around, cos this is not it. 1/10 pathetic. I'm about - this close to uninstall this game, this is not content...

It's not that bad once you're used to it. 2 minutes for three laps however... unrealistic

if you have the masteries maybe impossible if not

edited October 16, 2018

Okay found the trick so let me share it with you: At the very beginning you slightly go left to take a bit of speed away from your starting boost, that way you can easily go right after the jump. Those blue orbs refill your stamina, so what i thought is you want to pick them up and boost, this is WRONG! You want to boost BEFORE picking them up, you can go a little slower before to make it work out, but you need to boost before getting them, that way you are slow enough to take the following turns and have a boost to spare.

Edit: Got 1:05 flat with the beetle only, without getting dismounted. It wasn't enough to give the gold reward, you need to have the buff on you as you finish and it disappears a little bit before the exact time. Interesting stuff. I'll spend all night on perfecting this

I rather choose death.

• All those tricks and still a minute flat.
    Now do it without being a thief and/or coming off the mount.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@TopBadge.3569 said:

All those tricks and still a minute flat.
    Now do it without being a thief and/or coming off the mount.

They were only a thief for a few seconds and there is clearly plenty of room for improvement.

• Jwake.7013Jwake.7013 Member ✭✭✭

It's very easy to get bronze and silver, even if it takes a few tries for some. I don't mind Gold being difficult, i't s gold. (and no I don't have it yet, but do plan to work on it when I find the time)

"Freedom is something that you need to actively acquire. It's not something that's given with no strings attached. To be free means to take responsibility, and to prepare yourself for what's to come." ~Charles Beams~

• Jwake.7013Jwake.7013 Member ✭✭✭

@Vavume.8065 said:
    Devs need to go back and play an old game like Wipeout and learn how to design a track that you drift around, cos this is not it. 1/10 pathetic.
    I'm about - this close to uninstall this game, this is not content...

I love the track and dysn of it, if your really not into the race, don't do it. plenty of other stuff to do. If your really that upset about completing something your not into maybe take a look at why that is instead of blaming the game.

"Freedom is something that you need to actively acquire. It's not something that's given with no strings attached. To be free means to take responsibility, and to prepare yourself for what's to come." ~Charles Beams~

• Susy.7529Susy.7529 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018

@Jwake.7013 said:
    It's very easy to get bronze and silver, even if it takes a few tries for some. I don't mind Gold being difficult, i't s gold. (and no I don't have it yet, but do plan to work on it when I find the time)

For your info, you don't have to get gold, you have to get under 1 min (gold is at 1:05).

@Jwake.7013 said:

@Vavume.8065 said:
    Devs need to go back and play an old game like Wipeout and learn how to design a track that you drift around, cos this is not it. 1/10 pathetic.
    I'm about - this close to uninstall this game, this is not content...

I love the track and dysn of it, if your really not into the race, don't do it. plenty of other stuff to do. If your really that upset about completing something your not into maybe take a look at why that is instead of blaming the game.

If only meta wouldn't require this specific achi, be sure that I wouldn't bother doing it!
    Imho anet should do like many other metas in the past: there are let's say 10 new achis, for meta you have to complet 8 of them of your choice.

• Halaberd.6348Halaberd.6348 Member ✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018

i actually quite like the achievement, it just takes alot of practice. i found hotkeying mount/unmount beetle and raptor helped loads and after comparing my run to the run above i was able to eventually get it.

i just wish the reward was better, Mad Drifter title would've been awesome.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018

I tried skill 2 with A and D held down, but to no avail since it reacts extremely slow to my maneuvering and there is no way to abruptly slow down my beetle. What am I missing?

edited October 16, 2018

@Ashantara.8731 said:

I tried skill 2 with A and D held down, but to no avail since it reacts extremely slow to my maneuvering and there is no way to abruptly slow down my beetle. What am I missing?

Use the small bumps in the ground to slow down (especially at the start of your boost animation) that way you don't go too crazy on the speed. Also for most situations you want to tap the drift, not hold it down. Takes a bit of time to get behind

I rather choose death.

@Jojo.6140 said:
    This race is really terrible imo for several reasons.

First of all, its just not fun to use the beetle there. Its a mount designed for long distances without too sharp curves and is best used in vast open spaces. Meanwhile, this race features tons of obstacles and sharp turns you have to take.

Second, for players without the LS-episode its impossible, since you can rent a beetle, but you dont have the drifting-mastery unlocked.

Third, you are forced into using a specific mount rather than being able to choose the mount you can handle the best.

Drifting is NOT a mastery. You simply have to press the right button for it. For me it is "C"

I rather choose death.

• DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

You dont even need to do the „Under 60 seconds“ AP !!!! For the big 50 AP. You only need 9/10. Why are people complaining about something they dont even need to do???

• I actually got it after several tries. The thing that worked was learning when to release the drift button (have it mapped to "C"). I'll try my best to explain:

• Upon boosting (full endurance bar), beetle shoots straight with little to no maneuverability
    • You will gain control a short while later, allowing you to drift ("C" button)
    • Do not hold down the drift button trying to make the corners. Think of it like a bowstring, you want to release it once you feel you got the direction correct - beetle will make really tight 90-degree corners with ease once you figure this out (may take a few tries)
    • Blue orbs refill your endurance, and right after are usually straight lines, so boost right after taking blue orbs
    • Be careful of pumpkins and tombstones, one dismounts you (quickly re-mount if so) and the other blocks your way
    • I did not have to dismount, switch mounts, or use any skills (shadowstep, etc) to make it within 1 minute for the achievement
    • It took roughly 20-30 mins of practice

Hope it helps.

• Jojo.6140Jojo.6140 Member ✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:
    Drifting is NOT a mastery. You simply have to press the right button for it. For me it is "C"

Uh, my bad. I think i mixed that up with the griffon-masteries, since for the griffon the mount-abilities are bound to the masteries.

@Phoebe Ascension.8437 said:
    Ok, this is the biggest kitten timed achievement i saw in a lifetime of guildwars. The drift key does Not work. It responds 5% of the times i use it. 5% The other times my beetle is an uncontrollable (in this small track with hindrances) mount. Thanks Arenanet.

Griffon is already bugged (the charge down straight from stand still bugs and you loose strafing control - good thing i found a way mostly around that). And at least up and down worked from the start and i could practise like hell to do it.

I did an almost perfect raptor run 1 minute 18 seconds. Thanks for making it only posisble on the most bugged ever mount in a lifetime. No clue how ppl have it worked. It's assigned, works GREAT for griffon, fails epicly at beetle.

My frustration is now 1 million units. This will be a dark day in guild wars 2 history. 1 hour and going, still only 6 succesful straves (on 200+ attempts).

People come in with the opinion that the beetle is useless and trash, don't bother learning how to use it and then complain that it is useless and trash. That's the biggest issue.

I rather choose death.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    You dont even need to do the „Under 60 seconds“ AP !!!! For the big 50 AP. You only need 9/10. Why are people complaining about something they dont even need to do???

Because the other option is clock tower. You know, the very option why the meta previous year had slack of one achievement.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• I love beetle, for instance the practise run on Gandara map is great. But it just doenst work. It's like doing a griffon race with a bugged up skill. Not in a lifetime does it work. I tried all kinds of combo's (press short, press long press multiple times etc), it does NOT work. My beetle flies 30 more meters (3 checkpoints) furter, before it even tries to turn (wich is same as 0 strafing.).
    I dont know what is bugged but something is bugged. OF that i'm sure. Griffon up works (my mount skill two) and beetle doesnt.