[Feedback] Mad King's Raceway [merged]

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try like 20 times already, beetle crashs in every tombs or little rocks on the ground. I try to switch mounts, but what the point I don't have enough stamina.The best I did is with the beetles on the little stamin boost, then swap to raptor, then swap to beetles on the stamina boost... But I'm not sure it was designed like this, I don't know how to improve myself.

@Boysenberry.1869 said:

@"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:The beetle does not lack maneuverability. Practice drifting ("Mad Drifter" might be a clue).

How do you drift?

After learning the three masteries, general movement is controlled by the following default controls:

Speed up/Boost - SpaceDrift - C (AKA "Mount Ability 2" in your control options menu)Perform a Trick - Hold Space while airborne. (With Big Air mastery unlocked)

DriftThe second ability does not consume endurance, but can only be used when the Beetle is already rolling faster than its base speed (1000 units per second). When held, this ability significantly reduces the Beetle's traction with the ground, allowing the rider to rotate the Beetle at high speed without changing direction. When the ability is released, traction is restored and the Beetle abruptly changes to the new direction, losing speed proportional to how sharp the resulting turn was.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Roller_Beetle

@Boysenberry.1869 said:

@"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:The beetle does not lack maneuverability. Practice drifting ("Mad Drifter" might be a clue).

How do you drift?

"Mount ability 2". https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Roller_Beetle says that the default binding is "C". Read the explanations carefully.

EDIT: bah, ninja'ed by @Warscythes.9307 ...

Hate to agree here but I'm afraid I do, getting a lap in under 1 min is incredibly punishing, never mind having to do it 3 times to complete the new annual meta. I'm actually not too shabby with the beetle, including knowing how to drift, but after a dozen or so attempts at the time trial I can't get within 20 secs. of a sub 1 min time. I dread to think what anyone without the beetle will do (though can you rent one? Even so, takes time to learn how to use it effectively ...).

I try to avoid asking for nerfs or encouraging Anet to make things a bit easier, but in this case I really do think it is warranted.

There is difficulty to it, but if you don't boost every time it's up you can definitely do it on the beetle. My best time so far was 1:15, but I keep resetting after the first time I'm stuck. I think the real time is closer to 1:08 for me atm. Don't drift too much either, you can control comfortably without it through some of the points as well.

I'm thinking that the 2 min achievement will be made easier though. There is 0 room for mistakes and it requires you to perfectly use boosts and movement.

I do think that under a minute is a bit too punishing, especially for those of us playing with bad ping. (Drifting is really unreliable above 200 ping, which is what most of us in SEA and OCX have to endure. Sometimes it works, but other times it doesn't register and you go careening into a wall.) I think that bumping it up to maybe 1:20 would be a good move, because that time is doable (though EXTREMELY tight) for someone on a Raptor or Jackal using the new Endurance mastery.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Vavume.8065 said:Devs need to go back and play an old game like wipeout to get a clue how to design a track that you need to drift around, cos this is not it. 1/10 pathetic. I'm about - this close to uninstall this game, this is not content...

It's not that bad once you're used to it. 2 minutes for three laps however... unrealistic

if you have the masteries maybe impossible if not

Okay found the trick so let me share it with you: At the very beginning you slightly go left to take a bit of speed away from your starting boost, that way you can easily go right after the jump. Those blue orbs refill your stamina, so what i thought is you want to pick them up and boost, this is WRONG! You want to boost BEFORE picking them up, you can go a little slower before to make it work out, but you need to boost before getting them, that way you are slow enough to take the following turns and have a boost to spare.

Edit: Got 1:05 flat with the beetle only, without getting dismounted. It wasn't enough to give the gold reward, you need to have the buff on you as you finish and it disappears a little bit before the exact time. Interesting stuff. I'll spend all night on perfecting this

Archived