My Night of *Mad* King Tower

Magolith.9412

Wow, I have never seen anything like that. I know that any time I fail it's because I screwed up, and I can usually see the screwup coming as it happens. I feel like that has to be lag. It appears that you're in one place, but you're actually not, so the thing you're going for hasn't actually materialized yet. The result being that you fall through the floor because the floor isn't actually there, and you can't jump into the window because it's also not there.

Ah! I remember the 1st time I actually made it to the top. Was so damn happy after messing up so many times. Didn't know the clock tower would get struck by lightning so I just sat there. When it did get hit, I waited for another go around just to jump and slide off like in the vid. I thought I did it until I ended up back at the start with no reward.

Man I can't remember the last time I was so pissed at this game.

@Magolith.9412 said:The part I don't understand is the end.. in all the past years I never had that issue. Maybe my connection is laggier now?

I was at the top 7 times and couldn't get in the tower, even trying waiting less/more in case they had changed it this year..

Just wait one rotation. The clock does not open on the first one. 2nd time it falls apart

Yes!!! Finally someone like me hahahaaaa.. come cuddles ??U seen my vid? Watch till the end .. showed how I manage to beat the lag

Btw there a lot of lag spike last few days.. last night went to 1k and average at 600. :( Anet, what's going on. Fractal cm daily was so tedious at this ping. It's really bad ??

@Magolith.9412 said:The part I don't understand is the end.. in all the past years I never had that issue. Maybe my connection is laggier now?

I was at the top 7 times and couldn't get in the tower, even trying waiting less/more in case they had changed it this year..

Jump straight forward, not towards the hole, that's just an animation/illusion. You actually need to hit the trigger field that is only active if you time it right. Thus Always straight forward even if looks like the door turns away it will trigger.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

I was at the top
times and couldn't get in the tower, even trying waiting less/more in case they had changed it this year..

Jump straight forward, not towards the hole, that's just an animation/illusion. You actually need to hit the trigger field that is only active if you time it right. Thus Always straight forward even if looks like the door turns away it will trigger.

No.. it's the lag. I made one video showing the jump timer to get it right is ridiculous.. the opening isn't there when you see it there.Have at look near the end of video when I have to jump to match the time lost for ping difference.. @4.39min

@Talindra.4958 said:

I was at the top
times and couldn't get in the tower, even trying waiting less/more in case they had changed it this year..

No.. it's the lag. I made one video showing the jump timer to get it right is ridiculous.. the opening isn't there when you see it there.Have at look near the end of video when I have to jump to match the time lost for ping difference.. @4.39min

Holy crap you have to jump that far ahead, no wonder people are having problems.

I dunno if that is lag or some kind of animation desync issue. Notice that you can pretty much see the other players movement (an follow him) in perfectly fine real time with no lag.I saw this last year too, but haven't encountered it yet this year. I don't know if internet connection stability is related to if this happens and how bad it is.

The tell tale signs of this are animation frames for the clock tower parts breaking off being skipped. I am talking about the animations you have to wait for before proceeding like the one near the beginning, and the one after the drop. You can tell how bad the desync is by how many frames are skipped. The # of seconds skipped for those animations is pretty much the amount of desync, and how much you would have to pre-jump the final jump. For that video it seems like most of the animations are skipped. :astonished:

If you see the animation frames being skipped, try switching to a different instance. If the animation is always like that. sorry :cry:.

And sometimes, the correct timing is AFTER the broken window passes you by. There's no way to tell exactly where the opening is without a lot of trial and error (and failed jumps). I've had to jump as early as one panel before, and as late as 1.5 panels after. Without another player (who isn't lagging) there to show you where the window actually is, this jump is basically a leap of faith (that more often than not results in failure).

@Dewsitine.3645 said:my only tip when you reach the final stairs is to barely hang over the edge of the top of the stairs. Been working for me on every single run, and I jump as soon as I see the window break or was it a sec after it breaks.This is probably one of my favorite jump puzzles out there.

You dident watch the youtube video did you? since this aint the case for everyone.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey folks,

I personally find the Mad King's Clocktower very difficult to complete. (As in... never. :p )

However, in this thread, I'm seeing some comments that make me wonder if things truly have changed, as in maybe the tower has developed a bug. I've forwarded a link to this thread to our excellent QA folks, and I would like them to have the most information available if they have an opportunity to look at this. If you have further details, please feel free to add them here. Sometimes the details that players provide helps in replicating the bug.

Thank you.

This bug has been around since the beginning. It's easy to spot by watching the pieces that move, since they'll pause before snapping into place a second or two later. The client is basically running a few seconds ahead of the server and you need to leave the instance to resync it.

@Gaile Gray.6029

In my case, it's definitely because of lag (bad ping and/or packet loss). I've been able to complete it many times without issue since then but my connection has been more stable.

As @"Healix.5819" pointed out, I can spot it by watching the pieces move. e.g. when I fall down to the chest platform and the pieces "spin in", I can notice them pause momentarily before snapping into place. That's a good indicator I'm de-synced slightly.

I'm not sure how it could be fixed without making more of it client-side.

In all the years I did the tower I only ever experienced this once, and that was while playing on a NA region server from a EU location. But wait, don't jump in and say "Aha, it is lag/high ping"!

My char would jump without a lot of delay when I would press the jump key, and the actual movement was almost the same playing experience as playing on a EU server for me. But that one ini when it happened, I repeatedly jumped against the clock without getting in (3 times) and fell through a platform that appeared to be already there when it was in fact not yet there (2 times). It appears to have been one of those instances that are described here as being out of sync, regardless of ping.

Archived