N00b Question: Ascent To Madness (or other dungeons, I guess?): If I die, I stay dead?

I don't have much experience with dungeons, but right now ATM is almost required (dailies, etc...), so I tried it - and as expected, I didn't get one of the jumps, dropped down and ended up dead on a higher level. (I tried the jumps solo before - got it at first try, but when trying for real...)

Since the group was in combat, I couldn't revive at the teleport point.So, what can I do except remain dead and useless? Is there a timer until you can join in back, or is it really "one mistake and your're out"?

When you're in a dungeon you cannot resurrect at waypoints until everyone in your group is out of combat. This is to stop people just constantly throwing themselves at bosses, dying and running in again until eventually they wear it down. If your group gets out of combat the boss does too and its health resets.

What happens when someone dies varies, depending on the group and the circumstances. Sometimes they'll resurrect you themselves, but sometimes that will just get everyone else killed too so they'll come out of combat, let the boss reset while the group reforms and then try again. Sometimes if they're close to defeating the boss, or they think it will be quicker overall they'll carry on and try to kill it with a smaller team. That's especially common with 'speed clear' groups who want to get the entire dungeon done as fast as possible because a reset adds time, and because they probably skipped a lot of enemies along the path to the boss and then you'll have to run past them all solo if you use the waypoint (which can be extremely hard to do), whereas killing a boss in a normal dungeon generally unlocks a new waypoint in the boss room, so you'll be able to use that to resurrect where you are if you wait until they kill it.

You can't do anything while you're dead, but you'll need to pay attention so you know what the group is doing (they may not have time to tell you but you can see from their actions) and so you can resurrect at a waypoint when the opportunity comes up - in some dungeons it can be hard to get everyone out of combat for more than a few seconds, so you need to be ready to use a waypoint when it happens.

Alternatively you could use a revive orb if you have one spare. I wouldn't buy one just for this (especially because by the time you've opened the TP, found the revive orbs, bought one, had it delivered, collected the mail and used it you'll probably be able to revive anyway) but if you have one in your inventory and think it's worth using you could do it.

@Cyberman Mastermind.6012 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Ask them to get out of combat or use a revive orb. Although if you landed on an inaccessible platform, the former would be the better way.Revive orb would be useful, but it seems they're disabled in raids :-(

You can use revive orbs in Dungeons and Fractals. I used one in AtM yesterday after fail autorunning off a cliff (ya, not my brightest moment) but they do work in there. :smile:

I'm so noob that I wasted 2 revive orbs to reach the the final chest in Ascent to Madness (I only solo'ed so far). The falling damage was too much and I was curious to see the bottom of the instance. I still don't know how to reach the boss for the 3rd phase. Thanks Anet for resetting Mad King's position to the central platform when we die :)

@Urud.4925 said:I still don't know how to reach the boss for the 3rd phase.

There's actually 2 ways to get to the final platform from the second area, dropping down behind the little hut, and at the opposite end where there are little islands connected by chains, but the jumps are fairly tricky both ways. Try it with a group and watch where they go after phase 2 (and make sure you bring a stun break in case Thorn drops a scarecrow on one of those tiny platforms on the way).

Archived