GW2 Won't download updates.

Les.4872

I've never had this issue before. Right now I can't seem to fully download the update. It would start and right before it's playable it stops updating. Also i tried repairing the client and it would just freeze. I'm trying to reinstall now and it seems like that's not working either. It's just not downloading anything. Is it just my computer or is GW2 having server issues that's not allowing me to even download the game now?

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Maybe try the -clientport 80 command line argument? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_argumentsOr try a VPN?

If you continue to have issue, you can check the Knowledge Base for troubleshooting tips; here's one such article: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862998 There are others, as well.

Good luck.

Yea so i just tried using different client ports to download the game again but same issue. It downloads but like barely. Download speed would go up to around 500 kb/sec and then drop back down to 0 kb/s immediately. Note that my broadband allows for up to 5 MB/s download speed. Like this literally never happened before. Updates usually download at full speed and last time i tried to reinstall, it worked fine but now it's just not downloading anything properly. I really think something's wrong with Anet's client download server. I doubt my firewall and antivirus are blocking anything. Maybe I'll wait till tmr and try again. This is frustrating especially since Halloween is going on and I really want to play.

@Les.4872 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Maybe try the -clientport 80 command line argument?
Or try a VPN?

If you continue to have issue, you can check the Knowledge Base for troubleshooting tips; here's one such article:
There are others, as well.

Good luck.

Yea so i just tried using different client ports to download the game again but same issue. It downloads but like barely. Download speed would go up to around 500 kb/sec and then drop back down to 0 kb/s immediately. Note that my broadband allows for up to 5 MB/s download speed. Like this literally never happened before. Updates usually download at full speed and last time i tried to reinstall, it worked fine but now it's just not downloading anything properly. I really think something's wrong with Anet's client download server. I doubt my firewall and antivirus are blocking anything. Maybe I'll wait till tmr and try again. This is frustrating especially since Halloween is going on and I really want to play.

If you don't ask your firewall / AV what they are doing, there's no way you can tell whether they are involved.(1) And the Internet is way bigger than your broadband link and ArenaNet's servers. The amount of network that's owned by, say, your ISP along the way might surprise you, and there are then loads of other organisations running the "core" of the Internet along the way.

Sure, you have a theoretical upper limit of 5MB/s, but that doesn't mean that you can always reach that amount when downloading from a particular place. Your traffic can run into congestion almost anywhere along the way, and that will slow it down. Unless you run proper analytical tools (Pingplotter, traceroute, firewall and AV logs, etc.), you will remain in "grasping at straws" mode.

(1) I cite here the case of the Steam client's "Store" page being blank for me. This was persistent until I went on to my (external, free-standing(2)) firewall, and saw that the stateful inspection was raising epic alarms on the store servers. I configured the firewall carefully to deactivate those alarms solely for the Steam servers, and the problem went away.

(2) It's a type normally sold to companies and other organisations in the SME market, but I have it because it's made by my employer, so I can have a pro-spec IPS firewall with high-grade stateful inspection features for free as long as I work there. The downside, if you can call it that, is that I am, in effect, testing unusual scenarios for the company without being paid extra.

Archived