Should Anet work on new dungeons outside of FoTM as a high priority?

Einlanzer.1627

I voted no because I've never actually gotten around to completing all the existing dungeons.

Not because I can't do it, or because I can't find a group but just because it's not that interesting to me. It's on my mental 'to-do list' along with everything else in GW2 but every time I start thinking about doing some dungeon paths I find myself getting distracted with something I'd rather be doing. Asking for more of something I'm not playing seems illogical to me, especially when it'd mean the people working on it can't make something else which I might well like more.

I actually think Fractals works better for me. It's the same idea: instanced group content. But it's in smaller chunks which makes it easier to commit the time to complete it, especially since I like to play with groups that a) don't skip cut scenes, reading clues etc. and b) aren't always familiar with the content and aren't following a pre-determined method so it's hard to predict how long it will take. We figure out boss mechanics and things as we're going along rather than one person watching a youtube video and telling everyone how to recreate it exactly without ever actually understanding why you're standing on this spot and waiting for one person to do something somewhere over there.

I would love to see maybe two more dungeons put in. It doesn't need a lot, but just a little more lore, just a little bit more of 'regular' dungeon content would be nice. Maybe one in HoT and one in PoF would be fine with me! Even though I know that it's never going to happen and even though I know that they have said that no more dungeons will be added or worked on ever again because Fractals are what's going to be the thing, it's still nice to dream!

@Exqq.7451 said:Fractals are basically the same as every other MMO dungeon out there, not sure what you're looking for?

I don't quite agree. For one, they are more like mini-dungeons. For two, they have a theme that is largely disconnected from the world around them. Having dungeons out in the world that are set to the theme of the surrounding environment, it tends to do a much better job of creating immersion and a sense of adventure that MMOs need to thrive.

@Malthurius.6870 said:I'm of the opinion that raids were a mistake and they could have produced just as challenging and engaging content sticking to a 5-man format. So yes, but not sacrificing FotM on the alter... but raids.

I actually have always thought the same. 10 man content is needlessly prohibitive, IMO. At the very least, they should make them scale for 5 or 10 players.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@Malthurius.6870 said:I'm of the opinion that raids were a mistake and they could have produced just as challenging and engaging content sticking to a 5-man format. So yes, but not sacrificing FotM on the alter... but raids.

I actually have always thought the same. 10 man content is needlessly prohibitive, IMO. At the very least, they should make them scale for 5 or 10 players.

I've always been disappointed that they didn't scale for 5-25 people or more... they could have been great fun for lots of guilds then.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I can't vote, because the poll asks leading questions rather than a simple, "yes|no".

The answers are basically a simple yes/no. No need to be pedantic.

While I find Illconceived's response to be a bit rigid, he has a point. You might have gotten more Yes responses had you not biased your own survey with the use of "high priority" and "starved."

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I can't vote, because the poll asks leading questions rather than a simple, "yes|no".

While I find Illconceived's response to be a bit rigid, he has a point. You might have gotten more Yes responses had you not biased your own survey with the use of "high priority" and "starved."

I don't think it was that biased. The question was specifically should it be a priority (because asking if you'd like to see more dungeons given infinite resources is silly), and both responses gave a token reason - FoTM is good enough, and FoTM is not good enough.

They should put more time into designing non dungeon content rather than making EITHER small dungeons OR raids.

The OPer's question is a false dichotomy, asking whether Anet should put resources into either small dungeons or raids and completely ignoring the option to put resources into NEITHER small dungeons nor raids.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

I don't think it was that biased. The question was specifically
should it be a priority
(because asking if you'd like to see more dungeons given infinite resources is silly), and both responses gave a token reason - FoTM is good enough, and FoTM is not good enough.

You didn't put in the middle ground: More should be added, but it's not a high priority. Your options are "Add, it's a high priority" or "No new dungeons need to be added."

But no "Add, not high priority"

Your poll fails to grab those voters, which I am one of.

Voting yes (personally I am entirely disregarding the fact that the phrasing is loaded), but to be realistic, it is never going to happen, which is a shame... I like fractals and they've gotten better too. But there is something that the fractals don't capture in dungeons (and I am not talking about stack and spank).

Seeing what they have been able to do with raids, both in terms of the content itself as well as story delivery I'd give anything to have parts of that brought full scale into a dungeon format. However, apparently fractals are cheaper to make so what can you do.

What I'd like is something that is logical progression from the 2012 dungeons to raids, something in between, which is something we do not have at the moment (chaos fractal might sort of be that, but then there is the fact that fractals have agony and instabilities and other quirks which raids do not have, yeah you can avoid the fractal specific stuff at lower scales but then it doesn't serve as a meaningful content anymore).

Archived