Need help with class picking :) — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Need help with class picking :)

Hey everyone :),

i know i have posted about this before but i cant make up my mind :(

So i just want to hear your opinions about the class you love the most or which class you have fun with/never get bored of.

I promise not to post about this again haha.

Comments

• Deadeye and scourge for me.

Deadeye: It's my main. Easy class to play overall. I can do very high dps in raids and fractals using only 2 weapon skills and 3 other utilities. The rotation is also simple. Other classes require memorisation of more complicated rotations and even then some deal less overall dps than what the DE can do. It's the most bang for buck. Doing lots of crits is also fun, and my gear is simple berserkers.
    Another benefit is that I can use the same gear I have in all game modes (Open world, WvW, fractals and raids), since its all berserkers. This clears up space in my inventory and removes the hassle of constantly having to change gear whenever I want to play another mode. This often won't be the same for condi classes or classes than require vitality and toughness in WvW.
    Also in WvW I play permastealth, so I just stealth all the time and find opportunities to 1hko enemies or take out 80% of their hp in 1 attack. Since I have high ping (300), this is the only way I can do well roaming in WvW when all my opponents have a lower ping advantage.
    I like the high damage and mobility of the class. It feels good to use. Using dual daggers with the fractal dagger skin looks cool, especially your auto attacks and death blossom (but I hardly use that).
    So this is a class I can play in almost all game modes, except sPvp, which brings me to the scourge.

Scourge: I don't really like the theme of necro and the green color, but the class brings me results. I got to plat this season with Scourge even with high ping. Its so braindead easy that spamming your aoes can deal lots of damage in all game modes. I use this for wvw too, to farm up bags and be an artillery for my zerg. If this was my main, I'd be playing support scourge for fractals and raids. This class is probably the easiest to use throughout all game modes too. The thief if easy in everything but sPvp. So for me, I use thief for everything but sPvp, and my scourge is used to get that nice pvp badge or when I feel like zerging.

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd say ele, engi or guard (based on personal taste, you haven't mention anything in post) since they are very versatile and have a build for generally everything. They are also fairly complex (guard and dh not so much, but fb is) so it takes some time to get into and master, meaning that getting bored won't happen so fast because there's always a new build/playstyle to discover.

Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    The God of Pips and Gud Deeps
    Froggo himself

• Sephylon.4938Sephylon.4938 Member ✭✭✭✭

Necro, mes, and de. Necro for general open world shinanegains, mes for fractals/raids, de for solo roaming wvw

I am a giant tomato filled with love. I have come to sell you a house made out of pancakes.

• I'm still wrestling with a main for myself, but maybe talking about the professions I'm thinking about will help me out too.

Mesmer - I really enjoy the theme of illusions and messing with reality. Chronomancer is the main spec I play because I enjoy the support aspect of it a ton, but I like how it can be fairly complicated to remember the opener/rotation and when to use Mimic when first starting out. I imagine that will get easier with more practice, since I've only been practicing the rotation recently, but I have run fractals on it before. I tend to play Mirage in open world content and I enjoy how fun it is to use the dodge all the time and throw tons of axes. I really feel it shine during meta events when I'm running staff/staff and the condis start ticking. I probably have the most work put into this character, and my on-again-off-again kitten managed to get ascended Commander's trinkets for it.

Ranger - I actually came back to this because I wanted to play a game with a very nature-oriented class. I've been running this a lot for some world completion using a power Soulbeast and it's been extremely fun. I want to get more into Druid because I really like a lot about it, the offensive support, the Celestial Avatar, the ease of it. I'm not a huge fan of controlling pets, but I think I'd get past it. I really need to give this a run in fractals again, even if my gear currently isn't very appropriate.

Necromancer - This is my oldest character, almost 6 years old, although I'm thinking of making a second for fashion wars (I love the female light armors, but my Necro is an Asura). I love Scourge and the barriers it provides, as I played a Scholar FFXIV, which uses barriers to heal, and the mass resses, although it's lacking on the offensive support side. I really enjoy Reaper too and how tanky is it. I like self-sustain a ton and Reaper is right up my alley for it: big sword, can have out tons of minions, multiple health bars, a lot of CC. I've mostly played this in open world and I don't think I've even done any instanced content on it outside of story.

Elementalist - First profession I picked in this game and got to 80. I don't have my original because I got tired of playing a human and remade it into an Asura for animations. I love all of the skills and how complex it can be. I was always a huge fan of auramancer builds and theorycrafted a few of my own after Tempest came out. I love both elite specs. Tempest is awesome and I love the idea of a support Tempest, but I don't like the actual execution, since I prefer trying to do some boon support with auras rather than being a healer. Unfortunately, aside from open world, I don't see any auramancer builds. Weaver is great and I love how complicated it is and thinking ahead about which elements will be needed at what point in the rotation, but I also prefer sword/x and feel squishy being so close without much protection.

Revenant - I hated this until I actually started playing it some in 80 open world stuff and in meta events. I kind of like the energy mechanic and how it makes me think about what to use. The little conversations with the legends are really cute when idling. I initially leveled it because of Herald being huge boon support a couple years ago. Herald is still my favorite elite spec of Revenant. Unfortunately, I've found I'm not a huge fan of dealing with Ventari's tablet, at least while moving, but it's not a deal breaker at all and I'll probably get used to it. Renegade is pretty fun and I love how condi and support play. I don't know tons about Revenant as it's one of my more recently played 80s, since I leveled it then deleted it and eventually remade it post-PoF.

• I'm always coming back to rev and created a second one just to have different looking styles, so I have the original as a charr and the new one is asura. People (including myself) complain a lot about the class due to some design directions, or lack there of, but the combat style can be a lot of fun. A lot of skills have dual purposes, like using an offensive skill for the evade, and legends and energy allow for skill types that can't be had on other professions like upkeep skills or no recharge utilities.

• I have played nearly every class "a lot" at some point and they all have things I like (except maybe thief, for which I'm only recently developing an affinity). I think by far & away the best way for the OP to choose is to pick one, any of them, and try it out. Then pick another, and try it out. And see what resonates.

It's a very individual choice. It's a bit like asking, "what should I want to be when I grow up?"

If you have a new account, you might still have the instant-L80 booster. You can use that on a new toon and try out the core version (at least, on one map) before making a permanent decision. You can find high-rated builds for open world on metabattle for each prof and use those for a quick-start.

If you don't, it's a little trickier. In which case, I think it would be helpful in saying, "here's what I like to do in MMOs" or "here's what I want to try," and then people can offer recommendations to suit those interests.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Dace.8173Dace.8173 Member ✭✭✭✭

My primary two are Revenant and Engineer, then I run as my back up Guardian and Elementalist. Engineer was my first love and still remains my favorite. I love the theme and flavor of the profession. I also like how different it is, who else gets to run around with grenades and a flamethrower? I also enjoy the flavor of Revenant. I like the interplay between Legends and the ability to change things up on the fly. Both require me to pay a bit more attention to what's going on around me and what I'm using and when. Guardian is more straightforward for me. It's not as complicated as the other two but is still fun in a lot of ways. I enjoy Elementalist for similar reasons as Engineer and Revenant, the ability to change things up on the fly.

However, I tend to be drawn towards professions or classes that require micromanagement.

• Annihilator.2617Annihilator.2617 Member ✭✭
    edited October 21, 2018

Only elementalist with staff weaver elite spec! Very versatile. Insane mass damage. Some people think that it is the most complex profession.

I only playing WvW.

• I really do appreciate all the advice guys :).
    I have no idea why i'm finding it so difficult to choose a class to main haha.
    But after some thought i've decided i'm only going to be playing PvE, Fractals, Raids and maybe WvW.
    I would like a some what DPS class thats fun/ interesting and it can holds its own in the content.

I do apologise if i'm being a bit picky.

• @Valker.3726 said:
    But after some thought i've decided i'm only going to be playing PvE, Fractals, Raids and maybe WvW.
    I would like a some what DPS class thats fun/ interesting and it can holds its own in the content.

Doing fractals and raids sort of sets your boundaries for profession & elite. Non-optimal builds/professions are unfortunately often unwanted or kicked from those groups.

So, if those are important to you, then you probably want to check out Metabattle to see what the preferred professions & builds are. That will quickly trim down your choices.

• @TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

@Valker.3726 said:

Doing fractals and raids sort of sets your boundaries for profession & elite. Non-optimal builds/professions are unfortunately often unwanted or kicked from those groups.

So, if those are important to you, then you probably want to check out Metabattle to see what the preferred professions & builds are. That will quickly trim down your choices.

Definitely not OP, but I was looking at that, SC, and dT and I'm leaning towards dps, unfortunately after making a thread about support. I love mages (or alchemists/chemists, but outside of elixirs on Engi, nothing fits that one), but with the choice of 3, I'm a tad overwhelmed. I noticed that dT doesn't have any necro builds, but SC and metabattle do, so is necro just instant-kicked for fractals? I was also looking at Metabattle's Simple Raid Builds as a way to get started, and I'm not a huge fan of any but Scourge.

• ButcherofMalakir.4067ButcherofMalakir.4067 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2018

@tsunderehatter.9534 said:

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

@Valker.3726 said:

Definitely not OP, but I was looking at that, SC, and dT and I'm leaning towards dps, unfortunately after making a thread about support. I love mages (or alchemists/chemists, but outside of elixirs on Engi, nothing fits that one), but with the choice of 3, I'm a tad overwhelmed. I noticed that dT doesn't have any necro builds, but SC and metabattle do, so is necro just instant-kicked for fractals? I was also looking at Metabattle's Simple Raid Builds as a way to get started, and I'm not a huge fan of any but Scourge.

The biggest diference between raids and fractals is duration of a fight. In fractals you kill multiple enemies quickly, in raids you are usualy killing 1 boss fir whole duration.
    That means that dps classes with huge burst and aoe cleave are much better in fractals. On the other hand for most of the raid bosses burst is not as important as dps in whole duration of a fight.

There is 2 types of dps classes, power and condi. Power do direct damage and condi apply conditions (burning, bleeding... )

If you want one dps class that is very good for both raids and fractals, you want power (condition takes too much time for fractals to be as good as power).

Best options would be power tempest, weaver, soulbeast, dragonhunter and holosmith. Both daredevil and deadeye are also good but tgey dont have so high burst and cleave as the previous (but they have enourmous single target dps).

Out of the 5 listed, weaver is the hardest to play.

Edit: that doesnt mean you will get kicked with scourge from all fractals (but maybe some T4 parties and most of challange motes parties will)

• @ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

@Valker.3726 said:

The biggest diference between raids and fractals is duration of a fight. In fractals you kill multiple enemies quickly, in raids you are usualy killing 1 boss fir whole duration.
    That means that dps classes with huge burst and aoe cleave are much better in fractals. On the other hand for most of the raid bosses burst is not as important as dps in whole duration of a fight.

There is 2 types of dps classes, power and condi. Power do direct damage and condi apply conditions (burning, bleeding... )

If you want one dps class that is very good for both raids and fractals, you want power (condition takes too much time for fractals to be as good as power).

Best options would be power tempest, weaver, soulbeast, dragonhunter and holosmith. Both daredevil and deadeye are also good but tgey dont have so high burst and cleave as the previous (but they have enourmous single target dps).

Edit: that doesnt mean you will get kicked with scourge from all fractals (but maybe some T4 parties and most of challange motes parties will)

Thanks! I kind of understood the difference, but I'm coming almost straight off of FFXIV where there's very little difference between which classes are preferred in dungeons vs. raids/trials.
    Looks like I'm stuck with Weaver and/or Tempest, since I'm dead set on playing a mage. I'm not worried about difficulty either, I would have just preferred to learn on something simple, but still a mage, then use the harder one. Thankfully, I have all of the best options unlocked and geared in exotics + ascended trinkets.

• @tsunderehatter.9534 said:

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

@Valker.3726 said:

Thanks! I kind of understood the difference, but I'm coming almost straight off of FFXIV where there's very little difference between which classes are preferred in dungeons vs. raids/trials.
    Looks like I'm stuck with Weaver and/or Tempest, since I'm dead set on playing a mage. I'm not worried about difficulty either, I would have just preferred to learn on something simple, but still a mage, then use the harder one. Thankfully, I have all of the best options unlocked and geared in exotics + ascended trinkets.

Tempest and weaver have the advantage that most of their gear (exept weapons) is the same. Tempest has very good (best) cleave and (second best) burst and can provide vurnability debuff which is needed (increese squad/party dps by 25%) and it is not that common (engi can stack it or healer need to sacrifice one ulrility slot). The best tempest build uses scepter and warhorn with fresh air trait. Another huge advantage of this build is option to jump to other atunements if you need some skill and jump back imidiatly without losing that much dps.

Staff weaver have highest burst against huge hitbox and sword weaver is one of the top dps in longer fights.

• tsunderehatter.9534tsunderehatter.9534 Member ✭✭
    edited October 25, 2018

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

@Valker.3726 said:

Tempest and weaver have the advantage that most of their gear (exept weapons) is the same. Tempest has very good (best) cleave and (second best) burst and can provide vurnability debuff which is needed (increese squad/party dps by 25%) and it is not that common (engi can stack it or healer need to sacrifice one ulrility slot). The best tempest build uses scepter and warhorn with fresh air trait. Another huge advantage of this build is option to jump to other atunements if you need some skill and jump back imidiatly without losing that much dps.

Staff weaver have highest burst against huge hitbox and sword weaver is one of the top dps in longer fights.

Thanks, again. I have been watching some videos with Necro, Ele, and Mes builds and reading up on some fractals and raid bosses during downtime at work/home, although I did a lot of fractals as a Chrono with a fairly static group. I'm still fairly unsure of what to pick, but I'm more leaning Tempest/Weaver and with them sharing gear, I'm good on either, and Ele was my first 80 and first class I picked about 6 years ago. I haven't actually mained Ele since PoF came out, but played a lot of core Ele in vanilla and Tempest in HoT. Good to know that sword Weaver is wanted, I was never a huge fan of staff and was put off of Ele when PoF came out because of that.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.