Spend some Money on servers

cobbah.3102

Is there any possibility that something can be done about the servers some nights it get unplayable ,you get a map blob and you do not know you dead for at least a minute and a half please do something , I would tolerate the broken toons if I had no lag ,give us one thing or the other not bothThank you for your time

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Or they can reduce the map cap therefore reducing server stress therefore reducing lag.

Back in the day map caps were higher (and no culling), and prime time saw queues on all maps across every server, we had ZvZvZ fights all the time, as I mainly played with a fight guild back then. We had some lag here and there in the middle of a big 3 way fight, but that was it. Now you have a single 40 man fight across the map and you have skill lag everywhere, the fight could be at NC and you are at SC and still have skill lag. And over all, even without big fights going on in the map, there are hit or miss days where there is just skill lag for whatever reason, only in the fractions of a second area, but still enough to totally mess up skill rotation and the like. Has been most notable over the last few months.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Or they can reduce the map cap therefore reducing server stress therefore reducing lag.

Back in the day map caps were higher (and no culling), and prime time saw queues on all maps across every server, we had ZvZvZ fights all the time, as I mainly played with a fight guild back then. We had some lag here and there in the middle of a big 3 way fight, but that was it. Now you have a single 40 man fight across the map and you have skill lag everywhere, the fight could be at NC and you are at SC and still have skill lag. And over all, even without big fights going on in the map, there are hit or miss days where there is just skill lag for whatever reason, only in the fractions of a second area, but still enough to totally mess up skill rotation and the like. Has been most notable over the last few months.

I don't remember map cap ever changed. The culling is not a server side thingy.

Now, they did change to amazon cloud servers, or maybe network. There are reports of better ping for some, worse ping for some. Cloud being cloud, we all don't know how it is configured. Furthermore, the game itself is becoming more demanding over the years unlike the initial year, there are so much different skills now therefore assuming more processing and bigger network data packet size. The server if remain on the same build as the old, without additional optimization, then, it is no wonder it gonna be laggy by now even if they have the newest hardware.

It gonna get worse.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

I don't remember map cap ever changed. The culling is not a server side thingy.

Now, they did change to amazon cloud servers, or maybe network. There are reports of better ping for some, worse ping for some. Cloud being cloud, we all don't know how it is configured. Furthermore, the game itself is becoming more demanding over the years unlike the initial year, there are so much different skills now therefore assuming more processing and bigger network data packet size. The server if remain on the same build as the old, without additional optimization, then, it is no wonder it gonna be laggy by now even if they have the newest hardware.

It gonna get worse.

It was changed. There was a long thread where it was mentioned, but no official numbers were given at the time, but they said changes were made, only after a number of people, mostly guild leads were complaining I think on Reddit that empty BLs were queuing up before half their squad got in even though spawn was significantly less full on reset, my own guild at the time had to split our normal squad into two, and go to two different maps to get in. However anet at the time was very hush hush about any kind of numbers. Culling was more in relation to being more demanding on peoples computers, as everyone assumes the persons computer first, before the game/servers.

Yes, they did move to AWS, which changed ping for many as I believe they are east coast now? People on the west coasts and over seas were all seeing much higher ping. I did as well when the move happened, as they used to be in Texas, which is where I live, so I used to have really REALLY low ping (20ms). However that is not the lag most of us are talking about. The skill types don't really matter, they are all math, target cap effects this more than anything, as having to calculate dmg from a single target is pretty easy, but having to do that across many players with different stats, boons, conditions etc etc starts to compound.

There is also no "old build" for the server, as that is one of the main selling points to AWS infrastructure, that it scales with use. Rather than having 20 servers to handle the game at peak and slow times, you pay for use, be it 5 servers or 100, it scales with load. BUT, we are not (at least i am not) talking about lag for busy times, or lots of zerg fights on the map, but being on a BL with almost no one else and seeing maybe 5 other people over an hours time and still getting more skill lag than say a few month ago.

@"TinkTinkPOOF.9201" said:There is also no "old build" for the server, as that is one of the main selling points to AWS infrastructure, that it scales with use. Rather than having 20 servers to handle the game at peak and slow times, you pay for use, be it 5 servers or 100, it scales with load. BUT, we are not (at least i am not) talking about lag for busy times, or lots of zerg fights on the map, but being on a BL with almost no one else and seeing maybe 5 other people over an hours time and still getting more skill lag than say a few month ago.

Build here refers to software. "Server" term can refer to either hardware or software. This I am referring to software which is why the newest hardware is mentioned at the latter, they are two different things.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

I think it has to do with all those passive abilities and boons constantly going off that have crept over the years, and that pushes the server over the edge. The old engine doesn't help matters either.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:There is also no "old build" for the server, as that is one of the main selling points to AWS infrastructure, that it scales with use. Rather than having 20 servers to handle the game at peak and slow times, you pay for use, be it 5 servers or 100, it scales with load. BUT, we are not (at least i am not) talking about lag for busy times, or lots of zerg fights on the map, but being on a BL with almost no one else and seeing maybe 5 other people over an hours time and still getting more skill lag than say a few month ago.

Build here refers to software. "Server" term can refer to either hardware or software. This I am referring to software which is why the newest hardware is mentioned at the latter, they are two different things.

So you have info on the coding and changes on the back end? Please do share.

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

I think it has to do with all those passive abilities and boons constantly going off that have crept over the years, and that pushes the server over the edge. The old engine doesn't help matters either.

The game engine has nothing to do with this kind of lag, as the game engine has to do with client side and not server side.

What has happened is more and more skills/utilities are given 10-targets for attacks (from 5), mesmers having more than 3 clones up at a time (phantasms no longer count to total, etc.), in which the former has been stated many years ago why the 5-cap was done..."for balance" as well as it affected performance on server/client communication and allowed more players to be on a single map.

The other component is newer logic limitation (count) on siege targets (i.e. the Arrow Cart changes having a cooldown of 0.5s per target or the Meteor Shower changes) which likely requires a more intensively bandwidth usage to server/client/calculation routine. It's the same for Airship Defense server/client-side calculations which obviously causing map-wide lag whenever that is pulled in SMC.

Can this be fixed? Yes but there is little incentive to do so from ANet's end as they have already committed to outsourcing to AWS. No reason to spend more since minimum cover is all that is needed. I imagine Alliances are meant to further reduce population counts and alleviate this further.

This is not to be confused with Client side lag (aka the blinding amount of particle effects, talking to you all popular Firebrands) is also much which is a huge client-side performance issue too.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:There is also no "old build" for the server, as that is one of the main selling points to AWS infrastructure, that it scales with use. Rather than having 20 servers to handle the game at peak and slow times, you pay for use, be it 5 servers or 100, it scales with load. BUT, we are not (at least i am not) talking about lag for busy times, or lots of zerg fights on the map, but being on a BL with almost no one else and seeing maybe 5 other people over an hours time and still getting more skill lag than say a few month ago.

It just a logical assumption. How can amazon cloud architecture be using ancient hardware?

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

It just a logical assumption. How can amazon cloud architecture be using ancient hardware?

What? You might want to read my posts again, you seem to be jumping all over the place.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

What? You might want to read my posts again, you seem to be jumping all over the place.

Huh, so you suggesting that anet did not pay them enough to scale appropriately?But you asking base on my reply, so I am not sure what I am getting wrong.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

Huh, so you suggesting that anet did not pay them enough to scale appropriately?But you asking base on my reply, so I am not sure what I am getting wrong.

Where did I say that? I actually said that there would be no "old build", as AWS's selling point is scaling based on load. You then came back and said you were talking about software, not hardware, so I asked what information you have on backend coding, as I have never heard them ever talk about it, you then move back to talking about hardware as if I said something about old servers, when I specifically said the opposite of: "There is also no "old build" for the server, as that is one of the main selling points to AWS infrastructure, that it scales with use. "

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

Where did I say that? I actually said that there would be no "old build", as AWS's selling point is scaling based on load. You then came back and said you were talking about software, not hardware, so I asked what information you have on backend coding, as I have never heard them ever talk about it, you then move back to talking about hardware as if I said something about old servers, when I specifically said the opposite of: "There is also no "old build" for the server, as that is one of the main selling points to AWS infrastructure, that it scales with use. "

Software here I am referring to is anet's server software for gw2. The game afterall has been adding a lot of bling bling, with this much bling bling, there will be issues. The obvious issue on client side is performance drop. If client side can have performance drop due to dated engine, why wouldn't the server software has performance drop too. That's what I am saying.

It seems to be bad on NA servers around NA prime. Lots of people lagging and several are disconnecting. Its been really bad the last week, maybe two.

I agree with the person talking about lowering the map cap back to what it was pre-PoF or whenever it was they changed it. We don't need so many people on the maps anyways. Less blobs will always be a good thing. I'm not sure how much it would help but it seems like a good idea in theory.

The lag has been alot worse since the release before the Halloween release if that makes sense. Something came into game at that time that has created a mass of lag and an increase in the memory leak that causes the "trapped in loading screen for 5 mins" bug....wvw has been alot less fun to play of late with the lag and the ever decreasing wvw population :(

Sometimes the lag induced by patches settles down but this doesn't seem to be the case with the last lot.

For me the change in server location tripled my ping (Oklahoma) and it has been noticable since that change. However MO's response to those who complained was pretty much three paragraphs of "Too bad, I think it's better for everyone".
Also I can attest after six years that certain festivals always put more strain and for some reason on WvW especially. Queen's Jubilee was bad too.
All I know is I can barely play tonight and my internet speed and ping is great. Only in GW2 do I have a problem.