why the long Cooldown on Energy Expulsion in SPvP?

Knighthonor.4061

@Knighthonor.4061 said:why the long Cooldown on Energy Expulsion in SPvP? Is there any benefit to the Tablet to balance out this disadvantage in SPvP?

Ventari rev was used for a season or two to contest and hold nodes indefinitely against 1+ enemies by spamming tablet knockbacks. Additionally it was able to, in a lot of circumstances, decap enemy points and full cap it while fighting other players simply through the knockbacks.

I don’t think the build was particularly good overall but it was especially effective against poorly coordinated teams/bad players so it got nerfed accordingly

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:why the long Cooldown on Energy Expulsion in SPvP? Is there any benefit to the Tablet to balance out this disadvantage in SPvP?

Ventari rev was used for a season or two to contest and hold nodes indefinitely against 1+ enemies by spamming tablet knockbacks. Additionally it was able to, in a lot of circumstances, decap enemy points and full cap it while fighting other players simply through the knockbacks.

I don’t think the build was particularly good overall but it was especially effective against poorly coordinated teams/bad players so it got nerfed accordingly

Pretty much this. The increased cooldown is justified in PvP due to the gamemode requiring taking and holding capture points. Spammable AoE knockbacks every 3 seconds at the cost of all your energy is ok in WvW, but for PvP i imagine it to be horrible to play against. ;)

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

And thus it was smiters booned with no attempt at compensation so that ventari is absolutely worthless in pvp.

Yup, what everyone else said. I actually found its 1.5 seasons of viability to be a negative thing because it was clear that the knockback spam was the only reason it was viable and that it would get nerfed, which it did. I mean it's honestly a reasonable enough change and I can't blame them, but the nerf returned the spec to trash tier.

Sad thing is, the spec was never that good. People didn't know how to fight it and got upset that they couldn't just mindlessly spam shit and win 1v1 against a niche bunker class while they stayed within the blind radius and ignored the blatant visual cue of the knockback. It was a super easy spec to +1 and classes with a lot of on- and off-point pressure still wrecked it. So much has been powercreeped in this game since PoF that even if it still had the old CD, it would still be trash tier. Quickness trivializes the blindspam, stab nullifies the knockback spam, shield is a meme now, and it just couldn't handle the damage that exists now. Scourge, reaper, holo, soulbeast, weaver, deadeye...the list goes on.

@WraithOfStealth.1624 said:

Pretty much this. The increased cooldown is justified in PvP due to the gamemode requiring taking and holding capture points. Spammable AoE knockbacks every 3 seconds at the cost of all your energy is ok in WvW, but for PvP i imagine it to be horrible to play against. ;)

It's funny as hell to solo Earth keep in wvw with it, totally counters that Lord.

pretty much ventari in pvp is playable as its hard to kill you . melee have almost perma blind. while versus range you have block abilities. versus condi you have bit more ways now to handle them but still consider a weakness (mesmer mainly)in pvp as you need to control points the kb was too good.if the pvp game could bring back the support class bit more (not the bunker) maybe it could shine like the old tempest and fb now.but for now ppl finds it hard to use the tablet compare to other spamable class.

@messiah.1908 said:pretty much ventari in pvp is playable as its hard to kill you . melee have almost perma blind. while versus range you have block abilities. versus condi you have bit more ways now to handle them but still consider a weakness (mesmer mainly)in pvp as you need to control points the kb was too good.if the pvp game could bring back the support class bit more (not the bunker) maybe it could shine like the old tempest and fb now.but for now ppl finds it hard to use the tablet compare to other spamable class.

I dont see how its effective in SPvP when the self healing is not good enough with the current level of burst while expulsion has a long cooldown like is, yet accounts for the second major source of healing from the Tablet. Also Tablet energy is high as is, leaving little room to counter outside of the output healing and CC.

@WraithOfStealth.1624 said:

So where was the compensation? Nerfing one of the few good parts of the legend with no real compensation leaves it useless in SPvP.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

So where was the compensation? Nerfing one of the few good parts of the legend with no real compensation leaves it useless in SPvP.

Well in ANet's defense this was during a period of time when they were experimenting with Energy Expulsion. IIRC, it was previously a flat 35 energy cost so wasn't as spammable. The "compensation" the spec needs is stuff the spec has always needed.

It was really strong in Bronze/Silver for like a season and a half to decap/contest points, and people cried a lot, so it got nerfed. It didn't get compensated, because it wasn't even a good or effective strategy in the first place... Just a pure cheese move that only worked against the caliber of people who honestly, almost anything you did would have worked against.

Archived