"Hungry Cat" Mad Spirit in the Labyrinth

Taelac.7036

Has anyone found a way to move the will o' wisp in the center of the Labyrinth from "This cat isn't hungry right now" to "This ... mews hungrily?"

So far, I've tried to interact with it after completing several of the festival achievements, but no dice. I have completed the new scavenger hunt, but still need to complete either Arguably Foodlike or the Mad King's Clock Tower for the Annual Rituals meta achievement. I've also completed each of the non-annual repeating achievements at least once except the clock tower. (I vowed that this would be my year for the clock tower, then my internet connection has dropped on me so hard every night that I keep having to reset my modem, because of course it has.)

I've completed all but the clocktower/boots for the Lunatic Wardrobe achievements, and I'm waiting to see if I can finish the related Lunatic Court's Finery collection by beating the tower before I craft the last pair of boots I need for that.

I've completed all of the Shadow of the Mad King achievements.

I've talked to all of the other wisps in the Labyrinth, and I've read all the books in the trophy case.

It's possible that the wisp is a trick, not meant to be an actual hungry cat, but if it really is a cat, here are a few things that I can think of that might activate it that I can't yet test myself:

• Completing Annual Rituals
  • Wearing the Mad Memories: Complete Superstition back piece Thanks for ruling out this and the Wardrobe, Chrury!
  • Completing the Lunatic Wardrobe achievements
  • Reaching October 31 (unlikely, but it would still give most of a week for folks to pick it up, so maybe?)

Can anyone rule out any of the first three of that list or think of something else we could try?

Edit to add answer, as provided by @"Meow Ren.5382" in this comment: the wisp cannot be fed and is not part of the hungry cat collection.

@"Taelac.7036" said:Has anyone found a way to move the will o' wisp in the center of the Labyrinth from "This cat isn't hungry right now" to "This ... mews hungrily?"

So far, I've tried to interact with it after completing several of the festival achievements, but no dice. I have completed the new scavenger hunt, but still need to complete either Arguably Foodlike or the Mad King's Clock Tower for the Annual Rituals meta achievement. I've also completed each of the non-annual repeating achievements at least once except the clock tower. (I vowed that this would be my year for the clock tower, then my internet connection has dropped on me so hard every night that I keep having to reset my modem, because of course it has.)

I've completed all but the clocktower/boots for the Lunatic Wardrobe achievements, and I'm waiting to see if I can finish the related Lunatic Court's Finery collection by beating the tower before I craft the last pair of boots I need for that.

I've completed all of the Shadow of the Mad King achievements.

I've talked to all of the other wisps in the Labyrinth, and I've read all the books in the trophy case.

It's possible that the wisp is a trick, not meant to be an actual hungry cat, but if it really is a cat, here are a few things that I can think of that might activate it that I can't yet test myself:

• Completing Annual Rituals
  • Wearing the Mad Memories: Complete Superstition back piece Thanks for ruling out this and the Wardrobe, Chrury!
  • Completing the Lunatic Wardrobe achievements
  • Reaching October 31 (unlikely, but it would still give most of a week for folks to pick it up, so maybe?)

Can anyone rule out any of the first three of that list or think of something else we could try?

I dont think its an actual cat, if it was wouldnt the API/Cat checker that exists show it as an available cat?

@Taelac.7036 said:

@Dante.1763 said:I dont think its an actual cat, if it was wouldnt the API/Cat checker that exists show it as an available cat?

I don't know enough about that. Would it show up even if no one had yet managed to unlock it?

Im not sure, i know that on GW2 timers at least if an item isnt unlocked the ID is known it shows up there, just no icon picture or information about it.

@Taelac.7036 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:I dont think its an actual cat, if it was wouldnt the API/Cat checker that exists show it as an available cat?

I don't know enough about that. Would it show up even if no one had yet managed to unlock it?

Probably not. Generally speaking, the devs have programmed the API to not display most things until someone in the game has unlocked them. This prevents people from using the API to get advance knowledge of something that is in the code but not yet implemented.However, we also know there's some inconsistency with implementation, so it's possible that some things that should remain hidden... are exposed to the API.

So for this particular thread, I don't think it's safe to assume that "not in the API" equates to "can't tame this spirit for the home instance."

However, given how many different types of things people have tried, I think it's unlikely that this was intended to be a home instance cat for Halloween 2018. It might be a copy/pasted dialogue error or it might be something that got scrapped due to lack of time to polish. Or it might be simply local color: an indicator that cats, too, get sucked into the Mad King's Realm.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:I dont think its an actual cat, if it was wouldnt the API/Cat checker that exists show it as an available cat?

Probably not. Generally speaking, the devs have programmed the API to not display most things until someone in the game has unlocked them. This prevents people from using the API to get advance knowledge of something that is in the code but not yet implemented.However, we also know there's some inconsistency with implementation, so it's possible that some things that should remain hidden... are exposed to the API.

So for this particular thread, I don't think it's safe to assume that "not in the API" equates to "can't tame this spirit for the home instance."

However, given how many different types of things people have tried, I think it's unlikely that this was intended to be a home instance cat for Halloween 2018. It might be a copy/pasted dialogue error or it might be something that got scrapped due to lack of time to polish. Or it might be simply local color: an indicator that cats, too, get sucked into the Mad King's Realm.

well if its that last one id say they fit right in.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

So... the Labyrinth is just King Thorn's home instance that he opens up for material gathering? /think

@"Gop.8713" said:How long has it been since they added a new cat . . ?14 months. (Holographic Kitten et al added 8 August 2017)However, Sun's Refuge does get the Desert Fox, unlocked with LS4.4.

Reviewing the history, we see

So no new cats for LS4, nor Festival of the Four Winds. But pretty much most everything else has a matching cat already: WvW, fractals, PvP, Living World, Core game, two of the festivals.

I thought the patch notes indicated a new cat; it was the first thing I investigated when logging on. I found a cat there; but, I guess it meant something else.

Iron Legion engineers have relocated their training equipment in the Plains of Ashford in order to free some space for a festival tent. A local hoarding cat has followed them.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I thought the patch notes indicated a new cat; it was the first thing I investigated when logging on. I found a cat there; but, I guess it meant something else.

Iron Legion engineers have relocated their training equipment in the Plains of Ashford in order to free some space for a festival tent. A local hoarding cat has followed them.

I thought the same and i went and looked, but i think they just relocated another cat to that location, perhaps?

@Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:Maybe it could involve:

• Wielding Touch of fog
  • Unlocking all the haunted weapons (A hidden achievement?)
  • Using Ignited Wraith tonic
  • Holding an unused Mad King's Chest key
  • Wielding the Staff of the Inevitable
  • Using a Spooky Ghost or Spooky Skeleton tonic
  • Completing all 20 years of Halloween Rituals (Annual)

Complete 20 years of timegated achievement? Super easy, barely an inconvenience

@"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:The application GW2 Efficiency ( https://gw2efficiency.com ) does not show a new home cat in the corresponding section. Usually, if there is a new one, it is added almost immediately. It seems to confirm that there is no new home cat.

Probably why the Dev confirmed it wasn't a cat that could be fed. (See above.)

Archived