Mounts make me wish this game was open world

Aodlop.1907

@phs.6089 said:I doubt there is an engine that can hold a map that big for MMO

I'm not sure if there is a hard limit on size but I don't see why it can't be possible if the engine is designed for it.

In a seamless MMO you still load from map to map. You just don't see it happening.

As to actual size limitations, check out the MMO Dual Universe. It is being build around single server technology with an entire limitless universe for players to play in. Limitless in the sense that it would be impossible for players to ever reach the limit of the theoretical size of the game world. It's worth checking out, the tech is very impressive.

@"phs.6089" said:I doubt there is an engine that can hold a map that big for MMO

World of Warcraft would liek to have a word with you.

All expansion "islands" are on a load up once system.

The 2 best in-game flight paths are on the two different vanilla continents. Darnassus to Silithus and Silvermoon to Booty Bay. You can also mount up and run it. No loading.

@Boysenberry.1869 said:As you take flight on your Griffon in Guild Wars 3, you stare at amazement of all the new regions you get to explore completely unhindered by map borders. Even more amazing, all of these previously unseen regions also have rectangular shaped mountain ranges dividing them all up! ;)

This so much. I HATE that every map is a rectangle. Ruins immersion. I would love to know why the dev team is incapable of making other kinds of maps.

@wickedkae.4980 said:

@Boysenberry.1869 said:As you take flight on your Griffon in Guild Wars 3, you stare at amazement of all the new regions you get to explore completely unhindered by map borders. Even more amazing, all of these previously unseen regions also have rectangular shaped mountain ranges dividing them all up! ;)

This so much. I HATE that every map is a rectangle. Ruins immersion. I would love to know why the dev team is incapable of making other kinds of maps.

well, they arent incapable its probably easier to make a rectangle. On top of that they tried to make a non rectangle ish map with the most recent LW release, and people complained they couldnt explore the parts of the map that made it not a rectangle and they added those areas in.

Archived