Springer Mouths Are Perplexing

schlake.2718

On the generic Springer mount, if you stand close to a wall and pan the camera around you can clip inside the springer.

Inside the springer's head are three things. Two half eyeballs (one on each side) and a surprisingly well modeled rabbit mouth. I took some screenshots, and compared them to what google images says a real rabbit mouth looks like. The model seems to include five molars, the incisors, and the peg teeth!

My question is...why? The spring doesn't seem to ever open its mouth. I can just barely see the teeth inside with the mouth closed. There is a lot there when there doesn't need to be!

Answer C: The people making the model thought you might see inside their mouth or wanted the animators to have that option.

Some of the mount animations do involve them opening their mouth and I imagine at some point in the development process they considered lots of different animations for each mount and then picked their favourites. They might have been planning one where the springer yawned or something, or they might have modelled the mouth so that animators could play around with opening it without people going "Oh no, that looks really weird and freaky, lets not do that!" when the only reason is it was unfinished.

Archived