I think GW could actually survive a GW3

Faline.8795

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gw3 will happen when the engine is too limited and performance drops too much. Until then, I expect gw2 to remain the focus.

However, it would also not surprise me if we saw some other gw game type, such is an moba, shooter, or mobile gw game from anet. I expect that ncsoft wants them to diversify into mobile platforms.

@"Faline.8795" said:Guild Wars is probably one of the very few MMORPGs that could survive financially by creating a new, modern version of itself.

Please no. No "modern" contents. I like my fantasy RPGs with as much high fantasy content as possible. GW2 already has some aspects that I dislike because they are too futuristic...

I have no idea why people keep asking for gw3. The game would need years to make, which means this game would be content neglected during that development time while the new game gets all the attention. And then you’d need to buy the new game and you’d be leaving all your account upgrades behind. All the skins, Achievements, bank tabs, ascended gear, character slots, etc, etc. with no guarantee the new game would be that much better.

No gw3 for me, at least not until the game has aged enough that it’s better to move to another game than stay.

Actually OP, the gaming market and companies in general are slowly but surely moving away from the MMO model. It has come to be that monetization is much easier and more profitable if you simply invest into multiple instances of 'hypercasual' games (https://blog.applovin.com/hyper-casual-mobile-gamings-newest-genre/) than if you spend a whole developing team to maintain a large, centralized project like WoW, FFXIV and GW2. Obviously they're not going to close shop on every MMO game just yet, but expect to see less of them coming out at all, and do not expect the ones that do arrive to look anything at all like they used to.

To be honest, I'd say the relative success of GW2 is even a testament to the MMO genre being surpassed in many ways. This game's monetization system (whale-driven, as the article I linked itself calls) is not unlike your usual casual game, as well as daily rewards for logins and daily activities that you can choose from. We're already driven by short bursts of rewards and short packages of nicely separated episodes. The same logic applies to raids and fractals that are way shorter than dungeons when they came out, and arguably much more successful than dungeons as far as Anet's monetization plans are concerned. I guess I am not arguing against there being a GW3 proper, but it has to be said that it is not only probably very far from now, it will also likely frustrate whatever expectations you might have about it as of today. Not only GW2 has done away with grind, it has also set the tone for a very fast paced, enjoyable but ultimately superficial experience if they ever get to culminate their development into a GW3 engine.

Id like down the line to see a new instalment. As someone who played gw2 then went back on gw i think the whole mindset of "moving to a new isntallement is a nono" for w/e reason if someone is willing to buy an expansion then buying a new installment isnt that different.

Plus anet puts goodies for ppl that played gw2 so moving on to gw3 u get to show it.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I have no idea why people keep asking for gw3. The game would need years to make, which means this game would be content neglected during that development time while the new game gets all the attention.

Iirc gw had lw running while they were developing gw2 plus they had hom which gave incentive and rewards for playing all bits of content in that game.

And then you’d need to buy the new game and you’d be leaving all your account upgrades behind. All the skins, Achievements, bank tabs, ascended gear, character slots, etc, etc. with no guarantee the new game would be that much better.

This aplied to gw1 as well but at least anet had created systems such as hom to give rewards and stuff for ppl that played and dedicated their time in that game.

No gw3 for me, at least not until the game has aged enough that it’s better to move to another game than stay.

Fair, and considering anet doesnt really make engine updates that might be sooner than later.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Faline.8795" said:Guild Wars is probably one of the very few MMORPGs that could survive financially by creating a new, modern version of itself.

Please no. No "modern" contents. I like my fantasy RPGs with as much high fantasy content as possible. GW2 already has some aspects that I dislike because they are too futuristic...

The op means "modern" as in the game's engine the visuals and the capabilities of the game systems wise. Not necessarily that it will be futuristic, who knows, gw2 might be based on the time of the guild wars before gw1.

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:The people who ask for GW3 haven't really invested and gotten the most out of GW2 anyways. Or they just love starting over constantly.

Even with some form of reward system depending on GW2 progress, "losing" my thousands of hours because the new and shiny game releases would make me really, really mad.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I have no idea why people keep asking for gw3. The game would need years to make, which means this game would be content neglected during that development time while the new game gets all the attention.

Iirc gw had lw running while they were developing gw2 plus they had hom which gave incentive and rewards for playing all bits of content in that game.
And then you’d need to buy the new game and you’d be leaving all your account upgrades behind. All the skins, Achievements, bank tabs, ascended gear, character slots, etc, etc. with no guarantee the new game would be that much better.

This aplied to gw1 as well but at least anet had created systems such as hom to give rewards and stuff for ppl that played and dedicated their time in that game.

Fair, and considering anet doesnt really make engine updates that might be sooner than later.

1) when they started working on gw2 they stopped making new expansions for gw. They released some new content but it wasn’t at the level of an expansion. The result was a long content drought while waiting for the new game. People kept themselves busy by doing old content to fill out the HoM but that’s not the same as the devs making regular large updates. If they were to start making gw3 then this game would also have a long, multi year content deficit while the devs developed the new game. It would put them millions of dollars in debt and they’d have to hope that the people drifted away during that time would come back plus more new people to even break even.

2) how often do you see people using the rewards from the HoM? Except for a few titles, a weapon or two and maybe a ranger pet you don’t see people using them. So while it was nice to get them it doesn’t have a lot of carry over in terms of people using the rewards.

I left a lot behind when I switched to this game. Characters I played for hours, outfits, account upgrades. It was worth it but that doesn’t mean I want to lose it all again when this game still has a lot going for it, and no one, including you, has given a good reason for a gw3 other than... what? You didn’t even bother to give a reason.

If I recall correctly, I once heard that Arena Net claimed that they would never make a GW3 and that GW2 is the definitive version (unlike GW1 where that was never stated). However, this might still mean that over a significant amount of time (5+ years or so) when the game starts to really drop in player base numbers, Arena Net might consider finally developing GW3 or a new game. All in all, they simply stated that they will support GW2 until it is no longer profitable basically! This is great since like most people in this thread, I have loads to do!

@Opopanax.1803 said:They are already extreme limited with what they can do to it, if you haven't noticed.

There are cases of games of a previous console era that move on to a newer one using a new graphic engine. A game like Crysis couldn't run on the consoles of that time (xbox360/ps3) so they ported the entire original game to a new engine version that was capable of running on that console hardware. Other games are ported to upgrade the visuals like the Batman games from the previous era being ported to the current gen consoles going from unreal engine 3 to unreal engine 4. It's not impossible, nor unheard of, to port an entire game from one engine to another, either to solve performance issues or to upgrade the visuals (we are in the first category)

The Crysis case in particular is very relevant to our situation because the engine used in that game wasn't threaded well, meaning it was using a single core (same as the GW engine), but their next engine supported threading, splitting the load on multiple cores. They ported the entire first game to the new engine version (to run on consoles), so maybe Arenanet could do the same, make a new, better threaded engine, then port their entire game to it. The assets, models, textures, sound, music, particles, materials, even lights and map data, can be the exact same, so porting it wouldn't be as time consuming as someone might imagine.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Opopanax.1803 said:They are already extreme limited with what they can do to it, if you haven't noticed.

There are cases of games of a previous console era that move on to a newer one using a new graphic engine. A game like Crysis couldn't run on the consoles of that time (xbox360/ps3) so they ported the entire original game to a new engine version that was capable of running on that console hardware. Other games are ported to upgrade the visuals like the Batman games from the previous era being ported to the current gen consoles going from unreal engine 3 to unreal engine 4. It's not impossible, nor unheard of, to port an entire game from one engine to another, either to solve performance issues or to upgrade the visuals (we are in the first category)

The Crysis case in particular is very relevant to our situation because the engine used in that game wasn't threaded well, meaning it was using a single core (same as the GW engine), but their next engine supported threading, splitting the load on multiple cores. They ported the entire first game to the new engine version (to run on consoles), so maybe Arenanet could do the same, make a new, better threaded engine, then port their entire game to it. The assets, models, textures, sound, music, particles, materials, even lights and map data, can be the exact same, so porting it wouldn't be as time consuming as someone might imagine.

to add more into that point - also EvE online have moved to a completely new engine at some point and I have heard rumours WoW did as well.

the only issue I could see in here is big load of work needed for such a venture and not sacrificing content releases for mechanical upgrades like this - prime example to show up perfectly what I am speaking here off is how long it takes them to develop world restructuring for wvw - AN may simply not have enought manpower at hand to complete such overhaul in any sensible way.(disclaimer: I don't mean in here only process of porting but also process of developping the new engine in the background in the first place)

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

to add more into that point - also EvE online have moved to a completely new engine at some point and I have heard rumours WoW did as well.

the only issue I could see in here is big load of work needed for such a venture and not sacrificing content releases for mechanical upgrades like this - prime example to show up perfectly what I am speaking here off is how long it takes them to develop world restructuring for wvw - AN may simply not have enought manpower at hand to complete such overhaul in any sensible way.(disclaimer: I don't mean in here only process of porting but also process of developping the new engine in the background in the first place)

that's not really what we're arguing here. it's that if the engine becomes to outdated that anet will probably choose to update the engine instead of making GW3

@derd.6413 said:that's not really what we're arguing here. it's that if the engine becomes to outdated that anet will probably choose to update the engine instead of making GW3

And we gave examples of game engines being updated. The problem is the engine is already outdated, or rather it was outdated on release day, the core of the engine at least, because there have been many improvements over the years by the engine team (new shaders, new materials, new effects, new post processing and so on). But it is still a very single threaded engine, there are tons of examples of games moving to multi-threaded versions, even entire games being ported to those new versions. This would be a much better option than making GW3

Archived