What class would suite me

Lucas.3718

I kinda have a hard time to decide a personal main, that fits me personally. maybe you guys can help me with it my decision, even after about 5 years of gw2 playtime.what i like :-high mobility (most preferably through teleports/blinks/shadowsteps etc.)-strong versitility-viability in every game mode (pve/raids,pvp,wvw)-good looks (both in transmog and in animation ;)-Vampiric mechanics (lifesteal/selfheal on hit)-fast paced combat

what i dont like:-one sided playstile-being complained at for being a "bad class"-being viable in only one gamemode

thank you in advance for the help :)

Vampiric mechanic limits you to necro or rev. (Unless you count thief's heal signet.) Both of them have their uses in wvw and fractals and raids and have viable build options. Though if you want to go vampric on necro, it's either blood support scourge (whose main use is carrying noobs in content), or bm/spite reaper. Vamprisim in rev is limited to shiro power builds

Revenant:

high mobility - perma swiftness, alot of superspeed and some shadowsteps.Strong versitility - plenty of boons, ranged and melee builds are both meta.viability in every game mode - PvP/WvW Check. PvE is good but not meta in fractals/raids. (except for a few bosses in raids)good looks (both in transmog and in animation - My revenant looks a bit like Blood Dragon lord from Warhammer. I love it. Animations are lit.Vampiric mechanics - Got some but its not like you can count on it entirely to sustain during a fight. Only Revenant and Necro got "lifesteal".fast paced combat - Revenant got a very active playstyle where you rely alot on evades and stuff. Think of an outworldly vampireassassin :p

what i dont like:-one sided playstile - Powerbuilds is kinda what works in PvP/WvW, but its fast, fancy and active enough to keep you interested.-being complained at for being a "bad class" - Elitists in t4 Fractals and raids might not be interested in you, with some exceptions for specific bosses.-being viable in only one gamemode - Revenant is mostly viable in PvP/WvW, works great in Metaevents too. Anything is viable up to t3 fractals. Meta in some raidwings.

---------------- Hope my limited expereince of revenant is of service :) ------------------

Id pick revenant over necro anyday for the mobility/evasive gameplay/active gameplay and brutal burst damage of the powerherald.

Another approach:

When I think about effective vampiric effects, first thing comes in mind is the guardian meditation build with Litany of Wrath. It is by far the most powerful outgoing damage <-> heal effect I have noticed in the game. Mediation builds also offer a good access to teleportation-skills, mostly stun-breakers so you can move freely wherever you want. There are different paths you can follow, some are more offensive, some are more supportive. Depending on your gear and motivation to switch gear, you can even run power & condition builds for even more flexibility. The advantage of this method would be, that you only have to do a few clicks to play a totally different class while others have to relog on a different character.

Guardian is quite flexible when it comes to swapping builds, a lot of things work with beserkers or marauders gear. It can be a viable healer, buffer and damage dealer. While the learning curve for this one is not too steep, things become a little tricky the more flexible you want to be. But compared to other classes with a similar access-pool, I would say it is easier to manage.

@"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:Another approach:

When I think about effective vampiric effects, first thing comes in mind is the guardian meditation build with Litany of Wrath. It is by far the most powerful outgoing damage <-> heal effect I have noticed in the game. Mediation builds also offer a good access to teleportation-skills, mostly stun-breakers so you can move freely wherever you want. There are different paths you can follow, some are more offensive, some are more supportive. Depending on your gear and motivation to switch gear, you can even run power & condition builds for even more flexibility. The advantage of this method would be, that you only have to do a few clicks to play a totally different class while others have to relog on a different character.

Guardian is quite flexible when it comes to swapping builds, a lot of things work with beserkers or marauders gear. It can be a viable healer, buffer and damage dealer. While the learning curve for this one is not too steep, things become a little tricky the more flexible you want to be. But compared to other classes with a similar access-pool, I would say it is easier to manage.

yeah i was a guardian main once but it kinda became "boring" to play, because back then even before PoF, i could defeat everyone in a 1o1 with the meditrapper, and thus became kinda lame and wanted to switch to a class that could be more "challenging". now that i look at it from another perspective, it could happen to every class. maybe i should clean up the dust off my guard...any problems with gearswitch are not present so that wont be a thing ^^

@Lucas.3718 said:I kinda have a hard time to decide a personal main, that fits me personally. maybe you guys can help me with it my decision, even after about 5 years of gw2 playtime.what i like :-high mobility (most preferably through teleports/blinks/shadowsteps etc.)-strong versitility-viability in every game mode (pve/raids,pvp,wvw)-good looks (both in transmog and in animation ;)-Vampiric mechanics (lifesteal/selfheal on hit)-fast paced combat

Thief most likely IMO-High mobility = Check. Has tons of shadowsteps, most of any classes basicaly-Strong versitility = Semi. Its main role is to be a pure dps in PvE, in wvw/pvp its roaming/decaping/outnumering/taking out lone targets.-Viability = Check. Great in pve, also great in both pvp and wvw (roaming)-Good looks = Thats purely on you honestly ;)-Vampiric mechanics = Check. Signet which heals you every atack you do, + a trait which heals you for 10% or 20% of you critical damage done.-Fast paced combat = Check. Its the most mobile class so ofc.

When i look at the requierments, thief realy should be the one that would fit you the most.

People are focusing a lot on the "vampiric mechanics" part of your post, but to be honest, that's not much of a thing in GW2. Yes, thief, rev and necro have a bit, but it's not a huge part of their kit. It'll feel less like "I'm siphoning their health" and more like "I need to be hitting them to get full efficiency out of my heal".

Revenant does indeed have a lot of mobility, but probably not the kind you're looking for. It has teleports and blinks TO your target, but not much in the way of on-demand mobility around the battlefield. For that kind of mobility, you'd be looking at Thief, but more so Mesmer, which has tons of blinks and teleports.

Style is up to you, but whatever you choose, you'll probably find some skin you like. I wouldn't choose a class based on it unless you really like the look of a certain armour (eg. some heavy armour) that can't be skinned as an outfit or whatever.

Fast paced combat: Thief is definitely the fastest. Other classes can be fast paced too if you play them in a glass-cannon style.

@Sephylon.4938 said:

@Lucas.3718 said:well you see... if there would be a priority scala to what is most important ... well teleportation-mobility got a higher value then life leech mechanics. :)

Narrows it down to Rev imo

Doesn't it rather to Thief ? Since its the most mobile when it comes to movement/teleports.Edit: Like, doesnt rev have only 1 available shadowstep ? and even that one needs a target.

Just to be different I'm gonna throw "core guardian" out there. Stay with me.

• high mobility - probably a weak point but there are couple of blinks available with Judge's Intervention and Sword 2
  • strong versatility - yep
  • viability in every game mode - yep
  • good looks - yep we're beautiful
  • Vampiric mechanics - Litany of Wrath has got your back
  • fast paced combat - sure

@Glider.5792 said:

@Lucas.3718 said:well you see... if there would be a priority scala to what is most important ... well teleportation-mobility got a higher value then life leech mechanics. :)

Narrows it down to Rev imo

Doesn't it rather to Thief ? Since its the most mobile when it comes to movement/teleports.Edit: Like, doesnt rev have only 1 available shadowstep ? and even that one needs a target.

I guess, I just don't consider their heal signet and invigorating precuision vampiric mechanics so I disqualified thief. As for shadow steps, rev has 2 when you use axe offhand, and yes they do need targets.

• 2 months later...

Archived