FT + Shredder Gyro

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

While running through the Labyrinth for my dailies I noticed a very funny phenomenon. To optimize the amount of mobs I tag, I decided to run my condition build with a shredder gyro. According to many of you it is weak as hell = perfect for this scenario. Normally when they open the doors with the loads of foes I just hold auto-attack with the FT, spreading fire-field + shredder gyro when the group of monsters is separated. In order to reduce my dps even more, I replaced fire-arms with inventions. All fine.

But sooner or later most squads run into one legendary boss and when this thing wiped your squad 1-2x, you kill it. So I decided to combine all my damage sources into one and I was a little surprised. Because out of nowhere I managed to get almost 10 burn stacks on a boss. So I left the Labyrinth and spend some time in the Special Forces Training Area and did a few tests with everyones beloved golem.

At first I just put a fire-field under the golem and launched the shredder gyro directly on top. Once again 9-10 burn stacks. I tried again with my other burn-stack sources ... 12-13 stacks. I do not play condition that often, but I remember that it should be higher. So I switched my traits back to normal and added a little food, which resulted in 18 stacks. Then I wanted to cross the 20 and used th flame-turret as well and for a short time I was able to stack 21 burns on the golem.

As you probably guess right now, I can not manage to keep those many stacks up for long. In fact once the gyro explodes, the stacks drop rapidly again. The reason for this is simple, burning-bolts have a base duration of 1 second. That is why we usually never bother with this combo.

I still think this can be used in combat, for example when fighting bosses with a breakbar. Once it is down, the boss stops moving and lowered its defenses so most power-based classes burst their damage anyway. So we can do that too. Cooldown of the fire-field (FT) and Shredder Gyro are almost equal, so combining both is not that difficult.

The problem with shredder gyro's bolts, as you mentioned, is that they have a 1 second duration, and the bolts fly in random directions. If you do not place the gyro directly on top of your target (and your target doesn't move), the shredder gyro's value drops exponentially. Coordinating a shredder gyro, breakbar, and the correct field in a group is exceedingly difficult in most cases. It would be easier to just start with a boss that doesn't move (IE Tom in Fractals) than try the situation you described.

This is actually a longer-standing problem with combo fields in general, if we're being honest. Anything that's not a leap or blast is generally extremely weak. Both projectile and whirl finishers are... subpar.

Additionally, combo fields need updating so you can combine combo fields -- many combo fields tend to overlap, and they cancel each other out. They should combine instead, like they would in any other cRPG. Take Divinity II for example -- combining fire and water produces steam. Throw in a dark field and you've got cursed steam, for example. But that's another issue all unto itself -- combos in general need some updating.

If you make some simple calculations with Shredder gyro + fire field you will notice that even if all bolts hit, the damage is not comparable to other burning skills:Asume 0% condition Duration (the Duration does not affect the comarison as it would Impact all burning skills)

Shredder Gyro -> 12x 1s burning = 12s burning on a 26s cooldown = < 0.5 stacks burning uptimeFire Bomb -> 4x4s burning = 16s burning on a 10s cooldown = 1.6 stacks burning uptimeNapalm -> 9x3s burning = 27s burning on a 25s cooldown = ~1 stack burning uptimeBlowtorch -> 4x6s burning = 24s burning on a 12s cooldown = 2 stacks burning uptime

So even if you manage to put the Shredder gyro damage in a spike Phase, I doubt that its damage is high enough to compete with Bomb kit or Flamethrower.

However, for hitting Mobs it seems to be nice :)

Archived