Hope for more playable Races../ Specialties

Texas.4861

GW2 is now over 6 years old, still fun.. but what is next.I hope Anet will add in a few more playable Races. I would love to be a Skritt!!!! Tengu would be cool, they are like American Indians (in a way)What race would you like to see---Profession Monk/Dervish - Paragon/Ritualist ... the Guardian with it's spirit weapons and healing abilities close to a Monk/Rit

Armor skins are trash anyway, they look good on humans so the argument just doesn't hold up once so ever. If they don't add something next expansion it wont do well, mounts were the center of PoF so I doubt they will make them the center again. Races would be a good way to get people invested, especially since WoW proved how well they sell expansions in BFA.

this is assuming guild wars intends on surviving, they might put this bitch in maintenance mode and make GW3 so who knows.

Massively OP Summarizes Mike Zadorojny's (April 2018) Comments on New Professions, new Races

We also talked a bit about things that are probably not happening. New professions, for example, have probably been sidelined forever in favor of new elite specializations; they allow the team to change the feel of a given profession without actually forcing you to play a new character along the way. New races, too, are a lot of work for limited rewards, and any sort of console development is also not something the team is focused on.

Obviously, none of this is set in stone; he stressed that the quote to take away is not that new races will never be added. It’s just not the current direction.

Previous Threads Regarding New Races, in these Forums

(Partial list, see also the search function)

Previous Threads Regarding New Professions/Classes

(Partial list, see also the search function)

See also, Discussions with Both Ideas

PS this doesn't even include all the discussions from the archived forums.

Not.gonna.happen.I'm not ArenaNet ofc, but 5 is a good number, such as 9 for the professions. Maps are already set down, such as ALOT of dialogues and choices during the quests.Yesterday I did Hearts and Mind with another player (and I got the flight achiev, weeeeeh \0/) and I had to fight against Trahearne instead of the mentor. It never happened before, in my previous 19 attempts. I wondered why, then I asked to the instance owner... "did you complete your personal story btw?". "Nope!" :)Also during LW2 that I did yesterday. On my previous 2 characters, both human, the Shining Blade objected for some reason that I forgot. Yesterday, with an asura, she said "we never had nonhuman members". Not to mention if you play a sylvari in HoT. All dubbed.

There are soo many different dialogues according to our race that if you add another race Anet should revisit every old content to make it consistent. Imo the only easy way is to add a new race that we can use to disguise ourself only on a single LW map. If they are able to find an appropriate lore.

EDIT: kudos to ArenaNet for thinking about all of these combinations. As someone who work in the QA, and having played many other MMOs before, I'm really pleased when I see such attention for details.

Since GW2 first came out we have had the Tengu guarding the boundaries of The Dominion of the Winds in several area around Tyria. It seems such an obvious place to expand to. There has been a lvl 80 area up in the Woodland Cascades along Janthir Bay for a while now.

@"Texas.4861" said:Since GW2 first came out we have had the Tengu guarding the boundaries of The Dominion of the Winds in several area around Tyria. It seems such an obvious place to expand to. There has been a lvl 80 area up in the Woodland Cascades along Janthir Bay for a while now.

That's likely https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bastion_of_the_Penitent

That is a long ways from Bloodstone Fen but I guess. I have not participated in any raids."Scholar Glenna found a portal in the wake of the explosion of Bloodstone Fen. Finding themselves in a mysterious area far north of central Tyria, players will discover the mysteries in this unexplored fort and encounter Cairn the Indomitable, Mursaat Overseer, Samarog, and Deimos."Does say far north of central Tyria.

@"Texas.4861" said:That is a long ways from Bloodstone Fen but I guess. I have not participated in any raids."Scholar Glenna found a portal in the wake of the explosion of Bloodstone Fen. Finding themselves in a mysterious area far north of central Tyria, players will discover the mysteries in this unexplored fort and encounter Cairn the Indomitable, Mursaat Overseer, Samarog, and Deimos."Does say far north of central Tyria.

That lvl 80 area is def the raid

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to play any other races, they all are awesome! Skritt, tengu, kodan, hylek, centaur, quaggan, all of it! But tengu would definitely be my first choice!However, I don't think they will introduce new races to the game because of how they made their story lines. If they had given us the option, when creating the character, to choose whether or not the character gets the personal story, it would have been easier to introduce new races.Also, I get the impression that the devs aren't very interested in different races anymore. We have very few cultural skins, and the cultural skills are nerfed as Hell. :(

@"Magicienne Endormie.5182" said:I would love to play any other races, they all are awesome! Skritt, tengu, kodan, hylek, centaur, quaggan, all of it! But tengu would definitely be my first choice!However, I don't think they will introduce new races to the game because of how they made their story lines. If they had given us the option, when creating the character, to choose whether or not the character gets the personal story, it would have been easier to introduce new races.Also, I get the impression that the devs aren't very interested in different races anymore. We have very few cultural skins, and the cultural skills are nerfed as Hell. :(

I'm not sure no new cultural armor and noncompetitive racials are a sign ANet isn't interested in races, but that they don't want a particular race to be stronger. As for story considerations, I think there is an easy answer: just add a mini PS (perhaps with accelerated XP gain) that takes place during current events, and involves the death of the "Commander" and during which you meet Dragon Watch (and other relevant NPCs) and by the end take over for the previous commander. Going forward that might require separate dialogue paths depending on whether you character has backstory going back to Zhaitan or not.

@"JDub.1530" said:I'm not sure no new cultural armor and noncompetitive racials are a sign ANet isn't interested in races, but that they don't want a particular race to be stronger. As for story considerations, I think there is an easy answer: just add a mini PS (perhaps with accelerated XP gain) that takes place during current events, and involves the death of the "Commander" and during which you meet Dragon Watch (and other relevant NPCs) and by the end take over for the previous commander. Going forward that might require separate dialogue paths depending on whether you character has backstory going back to Zhaitan or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm not sure no new cultural armor and noncompetitive racials are a sign ANet isn't interested in races". During your story like and all stories and expansions since, the Race you chose to help and recruit to kill the Original Dragon are now part of the teams. Even in Silverwastes the Skritt and other races are their helping out. That is how I see it, How could they introdude armor for Skritt, Tengu or others before they introduce them as playable.

Anyway I just do not wish to see the game lose its appeal. I would have to go back playing cards.

If you ever played Counter Strike 1.5 (which was a mod of the original Half-Life) Valve took the game, kept it the same, and updated the engine and game play and released it as Counter-Strike Source, a separate game from Half-Life 2. That was a smart move to take the original extremely popular game and just upgrade the engine and graphics. Now what this has to do with Guild Wars, don't change what works, just update it.

I like the idea of Mermaid / Merman ?‍♂️. They use human armors. In water their leggings and boots disappear but the stats remain in effect. Their lower body transformed into the tail of a fish, eel, shark, killer whale, seahorse, etc. this allows anet to reuse the human frame and armors. Faces look fishy. Skin has shimmery scales. When they come out of water their legs appear along with leg armor and boots.

Archived