Profession Stereotypes — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Profession Stereotypes

Do you believe in the Profession stereotypes, like a guardian is like a paladin and must allways follow virtues and being a goody goody two shues, or a thief to be a backstabing, "loyal to noone" wanderer? or can you kinda play arround some ideas even if the classes wont be quite 100% fitting like a kinda "renegade for life, selfloyal" guardian or something like that ?

Best Answers

Answers

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

odd question, i'm gonna assume this is in regards to RP.
    no profession stereotypes aren't a set rule. (don't know where it is)

the guardian's virtues are fairly easily applied to multiple philosophies and life styles (courage, resolve and justice) and even then you could twist those with some mental gymnastics

and nowhere is it stated that thiefs are disloyal backstabbers. (look at the ash legion, they've got plenty of thiefs loyal to them)

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• @derd.6413 said:

and nowhere is it stated that thiefs are disloyal backstabbers. (look at the ash legion, they've got plenty of thiefs loyal to them)

That is cuz thieves hold together.
    Thieves creed
    Rule 1# You dont stab a fellow theif to a floor. (finish a fellow thief with a finisher).
    Rule 2# Deadeye is not a thief. Yet we still apply rules on them due to the respect for the tradition.
    Rule 3# Always bow before and after a duel. If you win a funny pun is a necessity. Always have some prepared.

it is not a stereotype. it is an in game life style.

• Rangers are hunters and lone primitives :D

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭

Thankfully we don't have creative input of the Commander in that way so this can only be seen as a purely RP kinda question.

In my mind it's not so much the profession but rather the appearance of a character that influences my opinion on how I would recognize them as potentially good or bad from a RP perspective.

For example I see a lot of thieves with grand shiny armors and extravagant weapons and I just don't get the negative backstabing, "loyal to noone" wanderer type of vibe the OP is talking about.
    I do however get that vibe from those who dress their thives like assassins etc.. making them appear as shady as possible.

Gw2 just isn't a game that typically defines proffessions in a good or bad way politically or otherwise (with exception to some Mesmer Queen bashing on occasion :P).. Necromancer is a great example of that as well since we can quite literally be a world celebrated hero while the world overlooks how we mutilate and abuse the corpses of the dead..
    It's funny when you think about it really.

• I think you're confusing stereotypes with archetypal symbolism. Thieves in this game are inspired by the rogue archetype (dark image, knives, fast movements). Just like guardian is inspired by the paladin archetype (light magic, heavy armor) or ranger is inspired by the hunter archetype (bow and arrow + animals). Most classes in this game are like this. Only ones I don't think fit into any one popular (or clear) archetypal image are the mesmer, engineer, and revenant.

• MyPuppy.8970MyPuppy.8970 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018

Necros are dark emo megalomaniacs.

• Dark [insert pseudo]
    • Lord [insert pseudo]
    • [insert pseudo] of death/Darkness

Warriors are simple minded. Rush first, think later.

Rangers are anti social. Better off pewpewing from 2000.

Eles are posers. Making selfies anytime they can. Most in downstate though.

Edit: thieves feel like uninvited guests.

• The 'strong but silent' necromancer.
    The 'seductive and alluring' mesmer.
    The 'bombastic and dramatic' elementalist.
    The 'sly and shifty' thief.
    The 'introverted around humans but extroverted around animals' ranger.
    The 'mad scientist' engineer.
    The 'pious and faithful' guardian.
    The 'mysterious, prophecy spewing' revenant.
    The 'bloodthirsty and battle-hungry' warrior.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.