Another tough vs vit post

Tora.7214

Hello, im trying to make a solo champ/1vs army build for my ranger, im currently using a modified version of the Boon Berserker build from metabattle but using marauder stats instead of berserker http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBhQD7kQFojXskFwhXglXsgJY5v2bbv15w14ecNLrBQAokFNH-jVCXAByq+joPBQXg8XAgHUCKsSCAUuFiGBePIAku/QAAEgAdGczbezbezbGpAoSZE-w

taking a leaf out of Lord Hizen i threw myself agaisnt the forged army event to see if i could solo it like he did here (

) and to my surprise, i was able to do it

however it took a lot of effort and it was no easy, the perma 25 might stacks and other booms make you extremely durable but still, having 10+ enemies on top of you, moving/dodging and all i still had to play very defensively to not die.

so i tried to modified the build a bit to add more toughness and i came with this knight version http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBhQD7kQFojXskFwhXglXsgJYOHuG3jrZZNACA5v2bbvtEzXE-jVCXAB8eQAk/CAEk6Pku/wDKBF9JAIsSiS0NAgytAAIAB6M4m38m38m3MSBQlyI-w

considering this build its always at perma 25 might and fury the lost of 120 power, 20% crit dmg and 5% crit rate seems to me like a good trade off for an extra altmost 900 toughness, however what worries me the most is the lost of nearly 3k health, i really dont know how the mat behind stats work so i dont know if this last one is a good trade off, what do you guys think?

thats a nice setup :) i took it and modified a bit though, since dagger/warhorn with concentration rune is quite necesary to keep the massive boom stacking of the boom combo, also swapped the star sigil on GS for accuracy and replaced the agility rune in dagger to accuracy too (You are switching back to dg/wh to re cast the boom combo anyway so having agility sigil on dagger to trigger the Essence of speed trait with it at this point is irrelevant) this is order to fix the missing critical %.

and the result is this one http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBhQD7kSFokFshXwjXgrFsgJYOHuG3jrZZNACA5v2bbvtEzXE-jlCBQBeRph+eAA9R3gGVGUSlg8b/BAcFAo4BBoLKxUo6PrDIAmSAw37FTJDpUKlSpUKJFwoCtA-w

thats a nice setup :) i took it and modified a bit though, since dagger/warhorn with concentration rune is quite necesary to keep the massive boom stacking of the boom combo, also swapped the star sigil on GS for accuracy and replaced the agility rune in dagger to accuracy too (You are switching back to dg/wh to re cast the boom combo anyway so having agility sigil on dagger to trigger the Essence of speed trait with it at this point is irrelevant) this is order to fix the missing critical %.

and the result is this one

Hi. I tweaked your build some more. This is the new build and here are the reasons why I made the changes:

1. You lose out on a significant amount of damage for the extra 200 armor. 2800 armor is already very tanky and you already have perma protection.
  2. The concentration sigil doesn't contribute to the boon stacking combo. WH5 shares the same cooldown as Moa Stance, so you'll have 100% boon duration every time you use it.
  3. If you don't care about energy sigils, double agility sigils will help extend your boon durations every time you weapon swap.
  4. The endurance regen food is very expensive. Also, since you're taking WS over BM, you have 25% increased endurance regen from Natural Vigor. This, coupled with permanent vigor means you're already at 75% increased endurance regeneration. The 40% on the food wouldn't affect you over the cap of 100%.

Even then, I would still recommend using BM over WS for the raw damage output and stat increase. So, in my opinion, this build would suit your needs the best.

Since I haven't seen anyone actually go into the math on toughness vs vit...

Everyone has base 1k toughness and medium ascended armor gives 1118 armor for a total of 2118 defense at baseline. Damage taken basically = damage calculations/defense. So the damage reduction value you gain from toughness is basically (2118)/(2118+extra toughness). So if you increase your toughness by 1k through gear: ~(2k/3k) = 66% damage taken.

In PvP/WvW condition damage is a major thing and toughness doesn't resist it, so vit is important. Vast majority of PvE damage is power. Vit is important for surviving 1 hit KO in PvE but toughness also reduces the damage you take. The longer fights go on for in PvE, the more important toughness/healing power become and the more useless vit is because it does nothing to help sustain aside from just not dying in 1 hit. I would recommend crusader (Power/tough high, ferocity/healing power low) over cavalier for less power loss and some bonus healing power.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBhQD7kSFojXskFwWQgrFsUIYPdhZQAI/62dHvNxrh1LokzlG-jBCEQBNUZn7eCAaUJI82fIKKFuk6P6R3AAuAABAOAc+5nf+5nX5nf+5nf+5nf+5LFArT2A-e10% dmg reduction from food, 5% with regen, 33% with protection, ~68% mg taken with toughness. 0.9 x 0.95 x 0.66 x 0.68=38% dmg taken compared to glass. I went with WS/BM since I prefer that combo. 2k less vit than any build posted. However, ~400 more power, 40-60% more crit damage, 252 healing power, similar crit chance to the other builds posted, traited shouts and 2x 10% dmg modifiers. 25 might is 750 power. Even if the build doesn't cap on might as much because nature magic isn't there, the damage is still going to be a LOT higher and what actually sustains you in PvE is better. I haven't really optimized the build either, just tried to get equal crit chance to other builds posted while using dmg reduction food (10% dmg reduction is basically ~200 toughness so great value on food. Pick other orrian oyster foods for other secondary stats of choice). Put blood lust on the WH since that weapon swap does less than GS, accuracy on the GS. Add more crusader to get even more tanky.

Archived