Current State of DPS Meters: What's Allowed and What Isn't?

Hey there. I'm just someone looking to move up into higher tier fractals and maybe dabble in raids a bit when I get a break from uni. Since the information on Google is a lot of he-said-she-said stuff with just the one Anet post detailing what's allowed, I was just wondering (since the Anet post doesn't tell me what to use): what is the most up-to-date DPS meter that won't get me banned?

ArenaNet should really go the WoW route with interface addons, and develop a strict and limited API for them to work with so it is explicitly clear at all times what can and can't be worked with, and so whatever we install is known to be safe/not bannable as it can only work through those means. But I digress.

Anyway, what should I use?

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:I think the website states "Use at your own risk".this is correct.@Emberstone.2904 said:So that's it? No stipulations, no dangers?There is a danger though its a slight one. if anet reviews the DPS tool and decides that they no longer want to allow its use they dont have to, at the moment they have yet to do so, but it could always happen, no matter how unlikely.

Alright, I was just looking to temper my fears of getting banned. Thanks. (Seriously, Anet really needs to implement an interface API for the community to work with at this point.)

One last question, I remember long ago that there was one of those screen-reading DPS meters that didn't interact with the game in any way, but rather just read the combat log in order to calculate DPS. Does one of those still exist, or are they not worth using?

Archived