60 or less FPS on i7 8700 with GTX 1070Ti + SSD

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Dicey Garlics.3918" said:i am experiencing very low FPS with an intel i7 8700 and gtx 1070TI. there is a Photo in the first post of the options i have thicked and yet i run at maximum 60 FPS... something is not working properly. my screen is 144Hz. what kind of informations would you need?

Those aren't even your graphics settings...

You can't just turn everything to ultra and expect good FPS, this isnt overwatch or LoL.

I cannot understand why people feeling so entitled to getting 144fps these days, you can achieve it if the game does not heavily rely on CPU

but this is not the case for MMOs and RTS like Civilisation where most of the processes are tied up with calculation in CPU rather than rendering in GPU, and does not need micro second reaction time :expressionless:

Older products run it better if you can get it to work [compatibility issues] my brother has a computer thats 10 years old and runs gw2 better then my New high performance gaming laptop specialized in well gaming lol. Why does it run better you might ask? Less bs plain and simple. Newer products have more protocols then necessary.

Also @op if ur running 4k ur 1060 will function no better then a 1050ti. Due to the fact you didn't list any of ur specs other then that i can only comment about that. However based on the look up of i7 8700 depending on ur build you should be fine.

Check list for you.

1. Is ur ghz set to maintain 4.6ghz [meaning turning off that turbo boost bull scat]
  2. if your running 4k upgrade ur 1060 to a 1080
  3. Enforce priority onto gw2 [or any game you intend to play for more then an hour]
  4. Decent internet. NO dial up if you cant manage 5mb/s at least you need to reinvest badly.
  5. Close excess programs 70% of the process running on the new systems are worthless and you should invest the time to look up the list for your computer and permanently shut them off.
  6. Finish downloading the game /or repair check. Noticed this part myself where i've went from 78 fps to 6-10 just because of a 300 file download left on the launcher
  7. last but not least go down to your panel on your computer and ensure that you actually have nvidi running lol. Cant tell you the times i've seen people running intel graphics thinking they had nvid running your computer should have UHD integrated graphics so the game may be running off that.

@Maze.3825 said:

@Runakh.5643 said:I ran into the same issue ever since I upgraded my computer.I7 Gen4 + 970M = 80-120FPSi7 Gen8 + 1060 6GB = 30-50FPS

I've tried all different optimization settings from both Intel drivers and NVidia drivers, as well as Windows settings...Let me know if you find out why

Nonsense.

It is, indeed. But yet, it's true. I've compared them side by side, in same instances (dungeon) where performance are not as much impacted by random variables as other maps.

@Larenc.1269 said:Older products run it better if you can get it to work [compatibility issues] my brother has a computer thats 10 years old and runs gw2 better then my New high performance gaming laptop specialized in well gaming lol. Why does it run better you might ask? Less bs plain and simple. Newer products have more protocols then necessary.

Also @op if ur running 4k ur 1060 will function no better then a 1050ti. Due to the fact you didn't list any of ur specs other then that i can only comment about that. However based on the look up of i7 8700 depending on ur build you should be fine.

Check list for you.

1. Is ur ghz set to maintain 4.6ghz [meaning turning off that turbo boost bull scat]
  2. if your running 4k upgrade ur 1060 to a 1080
  3. Enforce priority onto gw2 [or any game you intend to play for more then an hour]
  4. Decent internet. NO dial up if you cant manage 5mb/s at least you need to reinvest badly.
  5. Close excess programs 70% of the process running on the new systems are worthless and you should invest the time to look up the list for your computer and permanently shut them off.
  6. Finish downloading the game /or repair check. Noticed this part myself where i've went from 78 fps to 6-10 just because of a 300 file download left on the launcher
  7. last but not least go down to your panel on your computer and ensure that you actually have nvidi running lol. Cant tell you the times i've seen people running intel graphics thinking they had nvid running your computer should have UHD integrated graphics so the game may be running off that.

OP is running a 1070Ti. He didn't talk about 4K.

I've done all your suggestions already. Nothing changed :(But thank you for trying to help.

@"Dicey Garlics.3918" said:hello guys how is it possible i can get max 60 fps in pvp on a setup like this? every other game i play like overwatch runs at 144FPSforgot to mention i am on best performance settinghttps://lookimg.com/image/iQXjo

Hey OP ! I just thought about our commom issue, and ran a few more tests. I might have found something interesting.Everyone knows that GW2 is running on single-core, but it actually have a very bad time with multithreading technology. I disabled Multithreading in my BIOS, and I'm back to 100FPS in instances (preciously around 50FPS). You should give it a try.However, my other programs will be impacted by this change, so I'm planning to disable it only when I play GW2.

Here are is another parameter that you absolutely want to check out :Your CPU is running at full speed : open Task Manager, go under Performance tab, and click on CPU. Down below, you should see the clock speed (your should be around 4.6Ghz).If it's not the case, make sure that you have Intel TurboBoost enabled, and that your Power Options (Settings => System => Power & Sleep => Additional Power Settings (right side of the panel) => select (or create) High Performance plan => Customize Plan Settings => Change advanced Plan Settings =>Processor power management => 100% at max usage.Also checkout your BIOS settings about Power Management plans, and disable it.

Let me know about your results.

Just built a new rig and am having similar issues, even after trying all the suggestions posted here.Ryzen 7 2700xGTX 1080Ti (on a 34" monitor @1440p, 120Hz, G-Sync)16gb 3200Mhz RAMSSDAt first I thought it may be Reshade causing the slowdown (on a 1080 Ti, though?), but there was no change whatsoever after turning it off. Getting between 30-45 FPS most places, around 60 in certain maps (if they're empty), and 80 in very simple sections of map (desert) with nothing else around. Never higher. That's only slightly better than my 6 year old setup. I'm not mad I upgraded, but I guess I was just expecting better. The bottle neck may be my internet connection, I suspect there's some latency, given the signal is never particularly strong, and I'm several rooms away from the router. I'm getting a second access point installed in my room so I can have a wired connection and will report back in a week or so when it happens.

Anyway, anyone with a similar setup having these issues? I remember seeing a video on youtube of someone running it at 4k on a 1080Ti and it would only drop to ~35FPS in the most chaotic, populated situations.

Same issue. 4790k@4.5ghz / gtx1080 8gb.

Game runs mostly at sub 60 frames (unless I'm looking at the floor) regardless of quality settings. If I turn everything down I get maybe +5-10fps total.

Also my CPU and GPU run at ~50% usage when framerates dip to 30-40fps. Screenshot at heart of the mists for proof. 40ish fps. https://i.imgur.com/GmqYdb3.jpg Please note the laughable 35% gpu usage and the 65%ish cpu usage the results 45 fps....

Is this normal? I thought my rig would be enough to at least maintain 60fps.

Edit, better screenshot (you can see the framerate on the bottom right cornet of the GW2 options window)

It's definitely normal in most areas with a lot of players on screen. Even for modern day CPU's it's a mind-boggling task trying to power through 50+ characters on the screen doing all kinds of unique animations and skill effects every second. You should be able to adjust things like Character Model Limit and Character Model Quality in your graphics options to score some FPS. In your case orfeolis it might be the case of a ton of npc's being on the screen. It doesn't look like too many players are around. I've also wondered if it's just an optimization issue for Heart of the Mists.. I've heard several people in map chat complain that the lobby is really laggy for them.

@Runakh.5643 said:@orfeoulis.4325 @greenlights.7960Have you guys tried disabling Hyperthreading/Multithreading ?

Disabling multithreading is impossible. It's an inherent function of the operating system. Hyperthreading might or might not be worth messing with, since it affects only the way in which the OS assigns threads to processor execution units.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Runakh.5643 said:@orfeoulis.4325 @greenlights.7960Have you guys tried disabling Hyperthreading/Multithreading ?

Disabling
multithreading
is impossible. It's an inherent function of the operating system.
Hyperthreading
might or might not be worth messing with, since it affects only the way in which the OS assigns threads to processor execution units.

Thanks for the heads up! I haven’t tried it yet, but I guess I won’t. I also would find it a bit annoying to have to restart, go into bios, and disable it, and have to do it again when I stop playing.

Haven’t been on much the past few days, but I’m actually getting a wired connection installed today. I’ll play around with character model settings and see what happens.

@orfeoulis.4325 said:@Runakh.5643 the screenshot i posted is with hyperthreading disabled. It makes no difference :(

That's weird. I experience +20-40FPS with disabled Hyperthreading, on my i7-7850H.

@Zagerus.8675 said:It's definitely normal in most areas with a lot of players on screen. Even for modern day CPU's it's a mind-boggling task trying to power through 50+ characters on the screen doing all kinds of unique animations and skill effects every second. You should be able to adjust things like Character Model Limit and Character Model Quality in your graphics options to score some FPS. In your case orfeolis it might be the case of a ton of npc's being on the screen. It doesn't look like too many players are around. I've also wondered if it's just an optimization issue for Heart of the Mists.. I've heard several people in map chat complain that the lobby is really laggy for them.

It's not normal to have -50FPS when upgrading to a +80% faster CPU and a +40% faster GPU.

@"Larenc.1269" said:Older products run it better if you can get it to work [compatibility issues] my brother has a computer thats 10 years old and runs gw2 better then my New high performance gaming laptop specialized in well gaming lol. Why does it run better you might ask? Less bs plain and simple. Newer products have more protocols then necessary.

Actually, it's more like GW2's Engine is based on GW1's engine, which was built at a time Multi-Core Processors weren't even a thing, and everything was optimized for single-core PCs. GW2's Engineers have since shifted some load into secondary threads, but the engine is nowhere near close to being optimized for multi-core CPUs.Those "new protocols" run of APIs like DirectX. And since GW2 is still using DirectX 9, it's still running of those old protocols. The other problem is, that most Hardware developers are deprecating DX9, since Microsoft stopped supporting it in 2017. Meaning software running DirectX9 will start running less and less efficiently in newer hardware because it's not supported fully.

Archived