Would you be interested in seeing a return of the Weapon Design Contest?

Malavian.4695

It isn't the sort of thing I would ever participate in and I wasn't as enamored of the skins as some other ppl were but I did think it was really cool that they included the community in the game in that way and then didn't just plop the items in a vendor or something but actually made little story quests for each one. It was really fun, so I said yes, but idk how often they would want to devote dev time to it like that . . .

@Miss Lana.5276 said:I'd love to see a competition that actually includes non-us players for once. No from me.

The weapon design contest was open to non-US players. There were a few places you couldn't enter from, but I think it was for legal reasons (e.g. players from certain parts of Canada couldn't enter because of some anti-gambling laws that also prevent contests, or something like that).

@"Miss Lana.5276" said:I'd love to see a competition that actually includes non-us players for once. No from me.

An excerpt from the rules:

“Guild Wars 2 Design a Weapon Contest” is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including District of Columbia),Canada (excluding Quebec) Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom...

Link to rules found here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-guild-wars-2-design-a-weapon-contest/

Yeah, the Weapons (those that made it in game and those who did not as well) were one of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen. The sword that was implemented fits my Main absolutely perfectly and I had no need for different skin ever since. So, it would be cool to have more players experience the same if they were not satisfied with the recent ones.

I like the idea of "Design a []" contests. It's a fun way to engage the community and give the artists/authors a chance to break out of their usual style. There's no reason this couldn't be extended beyond weapons: Back items, gliders, MountFits, and even scripted events.

However, it's also not something that a studio could do constantly. It's a pretty massive disruption to the process of design and requires a lot of extra attention. (Not to mention all the legal elements plus prizes plus...) It's worth doing; just not worth doing as often as some of us would want.

Be nice if they could manage something as often as once every expansion.

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:The weapon design contest was open to non-US players. There were a few places you couldn't enter from, but I think it was for legal reasons (e.g. players from certain parts of Canada couldn't enter because of some anti-gambling laws that also prevent contests, or something like that).

You couldn't enter from most of the world, by both geographical area and population. Ironically, the GW1 competitions had better availability than the GW2 ones do.

@"Ben K.6238" said:You couldn't enter from most of the world, by both geographical area and population.Most people in Antarctica don't play; geographical area isn't relevant.

The actual list is more/less US, Canada, and EU (including UK). That technically excludes most of the world's population, but includes most of the game's. There are plenty of Russian and Indonesian players, lots from Australia & Washington DC (in the US). But the vast majority of current players are eligible for participation.

Ironically, the GW1 competitions had better availability than the GW2 ones do.

• 2005 Design a Weapon: Eligibility (location): Entries will be accepted from residents of North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Korea.
  • 2007 Design a Weapon: Entries will be accepted from residents of North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. (US Exceptions: the State of Rhode Island, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories, military installations and commonwealths. Canadian Exceptions: Quebec. Canadian residents will be required to answer an additional mathematical question in order to claim their prize.)

Difference between 2005 & 2017: the earlier contest allowed Australia, New Zealand, and Korea (where the game's former publisher is based. Difference between 2007 & 2017: older contest allowed Australia, New Zealand, Korea (original publisher's HQ), China & Macau & Hong Kong (no longer possible due to contract with KongZhong), and Taiwan (the exclusion of which might also be a result of that contract).

edit: typo (2018 2017 contest) and minor grammar

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

@Miss Lana.5276 said:I'd love to see a competition that actually includes non-us players for once. No from me.

The weapon design contest was open to non-US players. There were a few places you couldn't enter from, but I think it was for legal reasons (e.g. players from certain parts of Canada couldn't enter because of some anti-gambling laws that also prevent contests, or something like that).

An excerpt from the rules:

“Guild Wars 2 Design a Weapon Contest” is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including District of Columbia),Canada (excluding Quebec) Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom...

Link to rules found here:

Yep, I read them. Every time I've read the rules Australians have been left out.

Glad to see other countries can enter.

@narwhalsbend.7059 said:Yes, I would like to see the contest return, but I don't have any expectations that the winning designs won't get absurdly gaudy and worthy of only the Mystic Forge.

I was personally disappointed with typical sword and another nothing really special sword winning when there was a lot of rustic options to pick from. The torch was the only one actually unique.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Ardid.7203 said:Correctly guided player participation will ALWAYS get a big yes from my side. However, Miss Lana has a point: contests should include all the player base, not only a subset.

So, because there is a law in
one
player's country or region that excludes that player from the contest,
nobody
can participate?

I never said nobody should participate. I was speaking about a severely disregarded ideal. I said MORE people should be able to participate.

In other words: Anet MUST make the effort to include as much of the player base as possible.Because they didn't leave one country out. They left 165 countries out.

This is a list of the 165 countries NOT allowed in the past weapon design contest. Not even one country from Asia, Africa, Oceania or Latin America was allowed to participate. The contest left out several countries truly well populated and well know for the quality of their design, like Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia or Israel. They also left out any smaller country outside of Europe, including countries like Chile, were I live, and were international internet contest aren't limited (AFAIK at least, since I have taken part in some, without problems):

AfghanistanAlbaniaAlgeriaAndorraAngolaAntigua and BarbudaArgentinaArmeniaAustraliaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelizeBeninBhutanBoliviaBosnia and HerzegovinaBotswanaBrazilBrunei DarussalamBurkina FasoBurundiCambodiaCameroonCape VerdeCentral African RepublicChadChileChinaColombiaComorosCongo (Republic of the)Costa RicaCôte d’IvoireCubaDemocratic People’s Republic of KoreaDemocratic Republic of the CongoDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEritreaEthiopiaFijiGabonGambiaGeorgiaGhanaGrenadaGuatemalaGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHondurasIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIranIraqIsraelJamaicaJapanJordanKazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKuwaitKyrgyzstanLao People’s Democratic RepublicLebanonLesothoLiberiaLibyaLiechtensteinMadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMarshall IslandsMauritaniaMauritiusMexicoMicronesia (Federated States of)MonacoMongoliaMontenegroMoroccoMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepalNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNorwayOmanPakistanPalauPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesQatarRepublic of KoreaRepublic of MoldovaRussian FederationRwandaSaint Kitts and NevisSaint LuciaSaint Vincent and the GrenadinesSamoaSan MarinoSao Tome and PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSenegalSerbiaSeychellesSierra LeoneSingaporeSolomon IslandsSomaliaSouth AfricaSouth SudanSri LankaSudanSurinameSwazilandSwitzerlandSyriaTajikistanThailandThe (former)Yugoslav Republic of MacedoniaTimor LesteTogoTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTuvaluUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited of Republic of TanzaniaUruguayUzbekistanVanuatuVenezuelaViet NamYemenZambiaZimbabwe

The world is not just North America and Europe.

Archived