How much of ANET's development resource is budgeted towards the WvW / mist war game mode?

TheBravery.9615

We get meaningful balance changes every other patch, whats your point?

The content itself doesn't need to be updated. Capturing objectives, defending them, fighting. It all stays the same, only players and builds change and they do change.

Plus, don't forget siege changes some patches ago, that was pretty huge.

The thing is, I dont really care about the big changes. I just get annoyed at the small things.

Like... Will we ever see the cornerstones of DBL again? Because they have been missing since PoF. Are we just gonna leave empty holes there?

Will the dolly humping the ABL SE door ever get prybared off it?

Will gliding netcode finally get fixed or are we supposed to see flying players running on the ground in some weird quantum state?

Will the invisible obstructions in camps ever get invisibly unobstructed?

@Blocki.4931 said:The content itself doesn't need to be updated. Capturing objectives, defending them, fighting. It all stays the same, only players and builds change and they do change.

I would like to respect your opinion...…. I just can't count how many issues in this sentence itself.Lets base this on any game out there:MOBA..... why do you need updates? screw itFPS battle royale game..... why do you need updates? screw itAny game out there..... why do you need updates? screw it

@Blocki.4931 said:Plus, don't forget siege changes some patches ago, that was pretty huge.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Blocki.4931 Thank you for understanding, please don't be offended by my comments.

@Blocki.4931 said:

Will gliding netcode finally get fixed or are we
supposed
to see flying players running on the ground in some weird quantum state?

Never seen this. What?

He means that when people are flying at heights they actually appear to be on the ground.

While it may be a bug/limitation, I actually think its a good one as otherwise you often wouldn't see people flying way over your head.

@PrinceKhaled.5104 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:The content itself doesn't need to be updated. Capturing objectives, defending them, fighting. It all stays the same, only players and builds change and they do change.

I would like to respect your opinion...…. I just can't count how many issues in this sentence itself.Lets base this on any game out there:MOBA..... why do you need updates? screw itFPS battle royale game..... why do you need updates? screw itAny game out there..... why do you need updates? screw it

@Blocki.4931 said:Plus, don't forget siege changes some patches ago, that was pretty huge.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Blocki.4931 Thank you for understanding, please don't be offended by my comments.

You could have saved the time to reply if all you say is just a bunch of hot air.

I'll just take your MOBA comment

League of Legends is the one I'll specifically talk about.

Did the mechanics ever change?

No. The fundamentals have always remained the same. Slightly bigger changes to jungle and minion/buff mechanics, sure. But it always remained Towers -> Inhib -> Towers + Nexus while minions spawned. Win condition remained the same -> Take Baron and push with it to win or overpower the enemy without it and win.

Any FPS has the same goal, killing your enemies harder than they kill you ;) What they do is change maps that are unfair or balance weapon damage and range/recoil.They can release new maps all the time as long as they follow the same principle.

BR games can be wild. They can change things up drastically all the time because that is their biggest way of making changes without having to touch balance itself as much to keep it fresh.

Now tell me

What SHOULD they change about WvW? The core mechanic always stays the same. What they ARE and what they HAVE changed is class balance and siege balance. Siege becoming less effective against players and dealing less damage against other siege (except for ballistas) was a pretty big deal. No longer can you just build 5 ACs and one shot catapults with them, denying that is a difference is just delusional. It did shake up things.

Are you saying you want new maps? Most people don't want new maps and Anet knows. It would be another DBL and all the effort will be met with negative opinions. People don't want to learn new siege locations or terrain, they just want their classes balanced, as was shown time and time again.

I would LOVE a new map with different mechanics, but it will never happen. Besides that, I would personally like more importance of winning and losing a matchup and take that over any mechanic change or map change besides making the Alpine Borderlands a little less barren.

@Justine.6351 said:

Will gliding netcode finally get fixed or are we
supposed
to see flying players running on the ground in some weird quantum state?

Never seen this. What?

He means that when people are flying at heights they actually appear to be on the ground.

While it may be a bug/limitation, I actually think its a good one as otherwise you often wouldn't see people flying way over your head.

I've still never seen this happen :confused:

@Blocki.4931 said:snip

To name a few, WxP upgrade rework, rank rework, downed state rework, a dedicated wvw balance team, tactivator balance rework, new WvW achievements

New maps COULD have worked if anet understood their audience. I don't want to explore a map with gimmicky pve thrown in there, I want to find other players to fight.

You could say the game mode is more or less 'fine' and don't need updates, but the same content will eventually get dry and boring. Hence is why we are seeing a decline in wvw activity over time. Eventually there will be no one to fight here (already the case if you play on off-hours)

I feel like this topic should just get added to the "do not talk about this"-list, because it's always the same boring "well nobody does anything at anet anyway" and it gets tiring.

@TheBravery.9615 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:snip

To name a few, WxP upgrade rework, rank rework, downed state rework, a dedicated wvw balance team, tactivator balance rework, new WvW achievements

What do you mean with world xp upgrade? The system is a bit stale, I'll give you that. In turn ranks don't really offer anything besides bonus pips after playing an exorbitant amount.

Downed state just needs the HP cut drastically while not reducing the time it takes to get up, maybe making it a little faster even imo. Maybe remove the invuln during the animation too, or reduce the time its active just so it's not this endless slug fest. That way you get punished for not finishing people, while giving them simultaneously less time to "rally bot" from kills. Half the time I rally I am instantly downed by the 20 circles underneath me anyway again without a chance to move, feels lame.

Tactivators could stay guild locked for longer than 5 minutes for a start. Waypoints could get a longer CD, but I'm not sure. I think they are fine as is, since they are largely whatever they don't cause much of a balance issue honestly, though of course they could be this big lever that you pull and do amazing things instead of being some meaningless stuff on top of whatever.

Achievements would be cool, but I'm not sure where they could even go with this.

Personally I would like the world rank to mean something, maybe increase your rewards themselves instead of just making it faster.

@Blocki.4931 said:What do you mean with world xp upgrade? The system is a bit stale, I'll give you that. In turn ranks don't really offer anything besides bonus pips after playing an exorbitant amount.

If you're silver rank or above, you will likely have hundreds of unused WxP upgrade points (e.g. siege mastery etc). The system is severely outdated. Compare this to something like PvE masteries, there's plenty of refinement to be had here. Example of a suggestion here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/47122/wvw-abilities-mastery-update/p1

@Blocki.4931 said:Downed state just needs the HP cut drastically while not reducing the time it takes to get up, maybe making it a little faster even imo. Maybe remove the invuln during the animation too, or reduce the time its active just so it's not this endless slug fest. That way you get punished for not finishing people, while giving them simultaneously less time to "rally bot" from kills. Half the time I rally I am instantly downed by the 20 circles underneath me anyway again without a chance to move, feels lame.

This is open to debate but mostly agreed on there could be further adjustments made here.

@Blocki.4931 said:Tactivators could stay guild locked for longer than 5 minutes for a start. Waypoints could get a longer CD, but I'm not sure. I think they are fine as is, since they are largely whatever they don't cause much of a balance issue honestly, though of course they could be this big lever that you pull and do amazing things instead of being some meaningless stuff on top of whatever.

Same as above, (e.g. auto turrets vs watchtower, there's no competition here, watchtower has superior utility)

@Blocki.4931 said:Achievements would be cool, but I'm not sure where they could even go with this.

Almost all the achieves are dry and pve based (e.g. capture something, kill a dolyak, veteran creature etc). It's not in tune with what WvW's focus is. There could be objectives based on killing enemies. (e.g. Deal 15K damage to an enemy player, knock an enemy player to their death with fall damage, Kill an enemy player with catapult gravel shot, etc)

@"Ballistic.2570" said:If you want to know how much of a priority WvW is just pay attention on any patch day. 20:30 EU primetime patch incoming "fixed hat glow on some PvE cosmetic" time to shut down WvW and mess up everyone's fun. Every. Single. Patch.

How is that related? You can't have people play on different game versions, especially since that would mean they can't join WvW anymore until the server version is updated as well. It's a small disruption, but hardly an issue and especiálly not the fault of dev time being allocated elsewhere.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"Ballistic.2570" said:If you want to know how much of a priority WvW is just pay attention on any patch day. 20:30 EU primetime patch incoming "fixed hat glow on some PvE cosmetic" time to shut down WvW and mess up everyone's fun. Every. Single. Patch.

How is that related? You can't have people play on different game versions, especially since that would mean they can't join WvW anymore until the server version is updated as well. It's a small disruption, but hardly an issue and especiálly not the fault of dev time being allocated elsewhere.

I think it shows that they give zero fooks about WvW when they are happy to shut it down if right in the middle of prime time for the tiniest of PvE issues. and they do it every time.

Archived