What is "Hybrid?"

MDove.2391

@Zaraki.5784 said:It's how newbs like to call their non-meta/sub-optimal build.

Hahah :D :D :D Well, but seriously, some hybrid builds are meta. In fact, from PvE/raid perspective it can be so that most PvP and WvW roaming / small scale builds are hybrids? One that comes immediately in to my mind is sPvP bunker druid (still meta, although it is not that popular choice anymore). Also, it does not necessarily hurt to go PuGging to fractals with hybrid builds on certain classes & tiers, or at least have a build that gives you some variants depending on the team composition. Maybe not necessary anymore at high tiers, at least if you go with familiar group.

But yeah, hybrid = mixing, builds that try to make comphromises between two goals by (usually) sacrificing the maximum performance on one front. For example, hybrid between personal DPS and team support, hybrid between personal sustain and damage output, and so on.

Hybrid is any build thats not pure dps (which also include "mostly" dps like marauders since 4 stats set a new standard) or pure support. How it shifts between them doesnt really matter.

There are several subgroups within hybrid IMO. I call my own mirage build a bruiser. A tough hybrid leaning mostly toward power, designed for heavy outmanned sustain in WvW and be flexible enough to engage anything, not roflstomp dps or die.

@phs.6089 said:frankly enough the most famous 'condi' stats 'viper' is 'hybrid' :)I dont really agree. I count viper as full dps. Hybrid is the assumption that you sacrifice dps to get something else, moving closer to support on the scale.

Of course there are different gear stats and power/condi/mix focus but the purpose of vipers will be to maximize your dps at the expense of everything else, no?

Hybrid builds are builds that favor versatility over specialization. The most famous example is the player who runs celestial ("all") stats which makes you good at anything but great at nothing. I tend to prefer hybrid builds but for some game types like raids you will need more specialized roles. (Like full DPS or full support/healing)

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"phs.6089" said:frankly enough the most famous 'condi' stats 'viper' is 'hybrid' :)I dont really agree. I count viper as full dps. Hybrid is the assumption that you sacrifice dps to get something else, moving closer to support on the scale.

Of course there are different gear stats and power/condi/mix focus but the purpose of vipers will be to maximize your dps at the expense of everything else, no?

well I have also seen people defining "hybrid" as mix of power and condi DPS (as opposed to running pure power or pure condi)which makes viper very good "hybrid" stat (altho I have seen someone claiming grieving dethroning vipers as "best" hybrid dps stats?)

@OP I'd say it depends on context of debate you were hearing it about - if they were talking about damage types they mean mix of power and condi most likely in they were talking in context of team roles they meant what the rest of this thread says :)

Archived