Polysaturating Reverberating Infusion - won't work for "some" hairstyles?

So after getting the Polysaturating Reverberating Infusion (red), I notice it doesn't affect my character's head, despite the videos I'd watched definitely showing the effect on the hair. I went searching for bugs, spent time trying it out with my other characters, and then noticed the note on the wiki: "Some hair styles and charr horns will not be affected by this infusion." I assume that means there will be no effort to fix it.

Is there a list of hairstyles that this infusion won't work for? You can't even preview infusions, so you can't just use a makeover kit to find a hairstyle that works. I have a lot of sylvari, and not a single one had a hairstyle that worked with the infusion.

I'm disappointed.

List of hair that does not get the effect:

Sylvari:Male: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/e/e1/Exclusivehair-sylvarimale7.jpgMale: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/1e/Exclusivehair-sylvarimale1.jpgMale: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/0/0c/Exclusivehair-sylvarimale8.jpgMale: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/24/Exclusivehair-sylvarimale6.jpgMale: default launch hair style: Tree branchesMale: default launch hair style: MohawkFemale: Ponytail

Human:Male: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/ba/Unique_human_male_hair_front_15.jpg

Charr:Male: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/a/ac/Exclusivehair_charrmaleside16.jpg

Norn:Female: default launch hair style: Dreadlocks w/ bun

Asura:Male: default launch hairstyle: Cornrows

The wiki is player maintained, so that note came from a player noting current behavior and has nothing to do with any intentions by ANet. ANet may or may not have the resources to spare to expand the infusion to affect all hairs and horns -- don't be discouraged by the wiki note.

You can also contribute to the wiki, either with direct editing or if you are clueless like me on how to effectively do that, you can just add in some comments for the wiki volunteers to incorporate into the article if clearly stated. Though I admit I'm not sure how to note which hairstyle is which, since they don't have names and their positions in creation or makeover kits will change as new ones are added.

@"Udolpho.1209" said:So after getting the Polysaturating Reverberating Infusion (red), I notice it doesn't affect my character's head, despite the videos I'd watched definitely showing the effect on the hair. I went searching for bugs, spent time trying it out with my other characters, and then noticed the note on the wiki: "Some hair styles and charr horns will not be affected by this infusion." I assume that means there will be no effort to fix it.

Is there a list of hairstyles that this infusion won't work for? You can't even preview infusions, so you can't just use a makeover kit to find a hairstyle that works. I have a lot of sylvari, and not a single one had a hairstyle that worked with the infusion.

I'm disappointed.

The effects are subtle. It's basically a fresnel effect, so it's changes with the angle at which you look at a character. Different hair styles, different armors... the effects vary, even when everything else seems the same at first glance. So it's possible that it is affecting your character's head, just not quite how or where you think.

If you mention which hairstyles you're using, I can try to see if I can replicate your situation (as I have the same infusion). (If you visit the BL Makeover Tech, as if to purchase a change, you can identify the hair style by it's position, e.g. "first frame, top right" or "third frame, middle row, right side.")

Regarding the wiki's comment: no, don't assume that the note means anything about ANet's intentions. The wiki is written by fans. Unless its quoting an official statement by ANet, it's at most a comment about what we see in game, not about developer plans for the future (or lack thereof). The wiki might even be wrong, as sometimes it takes time for articles to reflect (no pun intended) the results of player research.

Further Reading

@Donari.5237 said:The wiki is player maintained, so that note came from a player noting current behavior and has nothing to do with any intentions by ANet. ANet may or may not have the resources to spare to expand the infusion to affect all hairs and horns -- don't be discouraged by the wiki note.

You can also contribute to the wiki, either with direct editing or if you are clueless like me on how to effectively do that, you can just add in some comments for the wiki volunteers to incorporate into the article if clearly stated. Though I admit I'm not sure how to note which hairstyle is which, since they don't have names and their positions in creation or makeover kits will change as new ones are added.

Thank you, that's good to know about the wiki. I may hold off selling the infusion for a while and wait and see if anything happens/changes. Ideally it would be nice to have it fixed so that all hair... and all charr horns, apparently... worked with the effect.

I'm like you, pretty clueless when it comes to editing the wiki. So I don't feel comfortable trying that. :/

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The effects are subtle. It's basically a fresnel effect, so it's changes with the angle at which you look at a character. Different hair styles, different armors... the effects vary, even when everything else seems the same at first glance. So it's possible that it is affecting your character's head, just not quite how or where you think.

To be more specific, the effect goes around outlines: both around the outline of the character (ie. their hair) and around the outline of the armor.

What's happening is that some hairstyles don't get the effect on the hair -- but, near as I can tell, will still have the effect on the head gear armor. So if you wear a big old hood that covers a majority of the head, it looks fine. But, if you are wearing a more subtle/small face mask (eg. the starter necro masques or bloodstone visage) you don't even get the effect on the mask, or it's so subtle to not be noticeable. The combined effect of nothing on the hair and nothing visible on the armor (or if you hide the head gear) means your whole head looks separate from the rest of the body.

If you mention which hairstyles you're using, I can try to see if I can replicate your situation (as I have the same infusion). (If you visit the BL Makeover Tech, as if to purchase a change, you can identify the hair style by it's position, e.g. "first frame, top right" or "third frame, middle row, right side.")

I've added a list of hairstyles that don't seem to get the effect

Regarding the wiki's comment: no, don't assume that the note means anything about ANet's intentions. The wiki is written by fans. Unless its quoting an official statement by ANet, it's at most a comment about what we see in game, not about developer plans for the future (or lack thereof). The wiki might even be wrong, as sometimes it takes time for articles to reflect (no pun intended) the results of player research.

OK, I see

TY, will look into those

I've done some more checking and I have to eat my words: @"Udolpho.1209" is correct that there's no discernible infusion effect on some hairstyles. I checked just enough to confirm that it is very noticeable on some.

For the styles with the effect, it looks like a Kirilian aura: a non-subtle glow (that still moves as you change the angle at which you view the characters). For those without, there's no glow, regardless of the angle.

As it turns out, I think the effect is too strong when it's visible, so I'm happier with the hair styles that don't show it at all. Although obviously, that's a matter of taste.

@"Udolpho.1209" if you don't feel comfortable editing the wiki, just click on the "leave feedback" tab on the relevant article, adding the same links you provided here.

Personally, I'd hope that the ultimately the wiki article will include a full list of the style affected (or unaffected), as well as comparing examples.

@"Khisanth.2948" said:At least on female sylvari it seems it doesn't show on "skin". Tested via stripping a character using the red one. The effect does still show on "underwear".

Also doesn't work on the ponytail hairstyle.

...You're right. It doesn't effect skin at all.

I think it subtly affects eyes. I see a slight hint of it at some angles, and if you wear Poly-luminescent Undulating Refractor (Black) and then put on a Polysaturating Reverberating Infusion, the eyes will brighten while the skin stays dark.

Also, there's that one asura hairstyle that has dreads with a headscarf: the effect doesn't work on the hair part of the hairstyle but does work on the scarf part (this reminds me of the underwear, in a way). That was a weird one because it sort of works and sort of doesn't on "hair". I honestly didn't know which list to put it on.

I just don't get why it isn't consistent. Why make it work for some hair, but not others?!

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:As it turns out, I think the effect is too strong when it's visible, so I'm happier with the hair styles that don't show it at all. Although obviously, that's a matter of taste.

That's fair... like anything, there are different tastes. I find for Sylvari, who sort of have eye-catching hairstyles that take up space, having the effect "too strong" everywhere else just emphasizes the absence of it on the head.

I'm curious if any sylvari hair gets the effect.

Archived