Lag issues: Is GW2 being DDOS attacked? [resolved]

My ping is not the issue here. It is showing on average 100 on the Gw2 option interface and on the internet tests for example servers in Texas have 55 ping.And other servers around the glove 250 ping to 350 ping max.

Perhaps there is something going on with the GW2 servers.

I had about a 30 - 45 second delay from the time I logged into the launcher to the time it loaded the front page which allowed me to play/start the game so I felt some slow down. I don't think it was a DDoS though (I'm not technically inclined though so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an actual DDoS attack and lag, heh).

@Hitman.5829 said:My ping is not the issue here. It is showing on average 100 on the Gw2 option interface and on the internet tests for example servers in Texas have 55 ping.And other servers around the glove 250 ping to 350 ping max.

Perhaps there is something going on with the GW2 servers.

No, that means your internet speed is not a problem, but understand that your connection runs through literally dozens of checkpoints on its way to ANet servers. Running a ping plotter traces those hops and sees if there is an interim jump anywhere in that where packets are being lost, causing lag. Can't determine if it is ANet or just a data hub between you and ANet that your ISP routes you through without running a ping plotter. And yes there are millions of routing possibilities, so it is 100% possible that your ISP runs you through a jump to ANet that is on literally none of the routes for other games. Also the in game ping reporting is NOT a true ping for the game. It is a ping to the LOG IN server only and doesn't accurately reflect game performance. Often your true ping can be much better... or much worse than what is shown, so that ping plotter needs to be sent to the server they list in their support section of the forums.

I'm experiencing the same here since today, and I'm connecting to the NA server from Germany. Even the wiki is as slow as the pope driving his papa mobile. Constantly being stuck at STATE_SERVER_WAIT and 0% load completion for minutes, and the wiki barely spits out any images if loaded at all.Already reconnected my router, even though everything else than GW2 works fine, didn't help.Logging in and the forum itself work fine.

• ArenaNet Staff

I checked with our teams and there is no DDOS attack. There was a brief issue with one server, but that was resolved and I anticipate that anyone who experienced issues during that short time period will now find their game access and overall experience is back to normal.

Archived