Anet, Please Never Do What Blizzard Just Did to Diablo Franchise

Justine.6351

Title,Thank You.

Updating With Info and Clarity

So Diablo franchise (PC based, ports to consoles/switch) has gone stagnant in general. Its last game Diablo 3 Expansion was a year ago and the game itself has now been moved over to "Classic Games" which are games that are minimal dev interaction (like guild wars 1). So for the past couple months Blizzard (big Blizzard gaming convention thing, known for PC gaming) has been hinting at upcoming Diablo projects (plural) and began building up towards Blizzcon with teases including a prominent presentation time slot for Diablo. Come Blizzcon the devs introduce Diablo Immortal as the next installment. Mobile ONLY game. At a convention filled with pc gamers... No other diablo news. In the Q&A a question asked if it would be for other platforms in the future. Devs say no. Crowd boos them. Devs say "Do you guys not have phones?". Since then the Diablo Immortal trailer has seen huge thumbs down on youtube which have curiously fluctuated downwards by 100k as if someone were deleting them... Comments disappearing left and right there too. Then there is the statement of the game being built from the ground up but its apparent to everyone that it is simply a diablo reskin over an existing mobile game from a Chinese Company.

tl:drIts a mess that came about from poor marketing/pr not the fact that they had another company make a diablo mobile game on the side.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Justine.6351 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Would it even be possible to turn an mmo into a mobile game?

No but they could do the next guild wars related release as mobile only. Or just do a smallscale remake as mobile only.

I’m not up on game terms so much. Is a mobile game something that is played on iPhones and tablets?

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Would it even be possible to turn an mmo into a mobile game?

No but they could do the next guild wars related release as mobile only. Or just do a smallscale remake as mobile only.

I’m not up on game terms so much. Is a mobile game something that is played on iPhones and tablets?

Aye, it accounts for about 50% of the video games market iirc

@Randulf.7614 said:

Aye

yeah. Those aren’t so good. I’ve tried some and the controls were beyond awful

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Aye

it does work for some older games, KOTOR for example works really well on mobile.

Yes and very much so happening. That's a popular thing in SEA now with many Korean MMO titles (eg Black Desert, Lineage) following the trend. Recent studies indicate high revenue on mobile games (not just mmo) in those region so companies shifted their focus there. Players get to play wherever between and many cases during work/school and companies get to join lootbox bandwagon without as much scrutiny.

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:

Yes and very much so happening. That's a popular thing in SEA now with many Korean MMO titles (eg Black Desert, Lineage) following the trend. Recent studies indicate high revenue on mobile games (not just mmo) in those region so companies shifted their focus there. Players get to play wherever between and many cases during work/school and companies get to join lootbox bandwagon without as much scrutiny.

The original runescape was recently released on mobile devices as well.

@Dante.1763 said:

Aye

it does work for some older games, KOTOR for example works really well on mobile.

Sort of,Try doing the racing game in Kotor on a tablet or lolphone.I did buy Kotor for my tablet and it played kind of bad. Loaded pc version because I didn't remember it being so clunky. Yeah some things just don't translate well to mobile. A comment I saw on a YouTube vid for the Diablo fiasco said it well, the best mobile gaming is stuff like candycrush where it's a way to kill some time.

Mobile games are gold mines, but the PC players hate it for a good reason. The games simply don't have the same scope and obviously not everybody likes wasting their phone battery on games in the first place. I hate Blizzard for doing this, but they will make many millions through it so good job on that.

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:

Did you get a chance to try some mobile mmo type gaming? I know clicktomove type games can work ok.

@Justine.6351 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:I would happily take gw1 or a new gw game on mobile. It is just a platform - as long as the game is accessible and fun, it shouldnt matter.

Think you will find a large % of PC Gamers are not going to be appreciative of Dev time dumped into a mobile-only remake on a franchise that has been stagnant for over a year.

Guild Wars 2 is stagnant? I wasn't aware. Silly me.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:I would happily take gw1 or a new gw game on mobile. It is just a platform - as long as the game is accessible and fun, it shouldnt matter.

Think you will find a large % of PC Gamers are not going to be appreciative of Dev time dumped into a mobile-only remake on a franchise that has been stagnant for over a year.

Guild Wars 2 is stagnant? I wasn't aware. Silly me.

PoF was a year ago. GW1 even longer.

@Dante.1763 said:

Aye

I have a city building mobile game I play. The controls are fine for it because, well, cities don’t do much. I log in 3 or 4 times a day, do any upgrades and chat a bit with Guildies. However other games I’ve downloaded that require moving an avatar around didn’t work so well. Those I deleted after a few days of arguing with the controls.

Perhaps they’ve upgraded the controls. I haven’t tried a new mobile game in a couple of years.

@Randulf.7614 said:

Aye, it accounts for about 50% of the video games market iirc

And growing. NCSofts mobile game income for example is far more than their other holdings. That's where the money is these days.

@Justine.6351 said:

Aye

Sort of,Try doing the racing game in Kotor on a tablet or lolphone.I did buy Kotor for my tablet and it played kind of bad. Loaded pc version because I didn't remember it being so clunky. Yeah some things just don't translate well to mobile. A comment I saw on a YouTube vid for the Diablo fiasco said it well, the best mobile gaming is stuff like candycrush where it's a way to kill some time.

Bahahah xD i forgot about the race, its been so long since ive played that game(crashes on cutscense T.T) I imagine that would be awful.

Archived