Would you like to see dungeons modernized?

Bri.8354

When you compare dungeons to raids, the new fractals, and PoF bosses it’s clear how outdated they've become. Enemies repeat the same 2 dull attacks and are killed by players who can just stand in place. I think this is part of the reason players have grown tired of them.

So, would you like to see dungeons revamped with more modern mechanics? It could breathe life into them once more and be a nice update for those who like instanced content.

@Scipion.7548 said:What I would like is procedural generated dungeons with random corridors and 3-5 random bosses (with maybe a final not random boss).

Or 2 boss at the same time randomized for more chaos :dizzy:But yeah I agree, some kind of procedural dungeon with random environment effect, random enemies etc would be very fun.

You could keep a seed of the configuration in order to redo them later on (or help debug...)

@costepj.5120 said:It's not going to happen. Fractals have replaced Dungeons as the small party instanced content going forward.

It will happen if demand is high enough. My opinion is that FoTM alone is not an adequate substitute for classic world dungeons. I feel like eventually Anet will realize this and re-prioritize dungeons.

@Bri.8354 said:So, would you like to see dungeons revamped with more modern mechanics? It could breathe life into them once more and be a nice update for those who like instanced content.

Would I enjoy seeing dungeons updated to use new mechanics and graphics? Sure. Do I think it's worth ANet spending time on? No. It's a lot of work that uses up the same resources applied to side stories, dungeons, raids, new quests, and so on. I'd rather see more new stuff than old stuff given a new skin, especially for the cost.

I think the only way to "modernize" dungeons would be to completely redo the boss encounters and make them scale. At that point, you are just making new fractals, and the question the devs have to ask themselves is "Do players want completely new fractal content or copypasted dungeon wings?" and I think they've landed on "new content".

I'm nostalgic for the good ol' dungeon tours, but I think we should admit that for a lot of players, they were solely a gold farm and/or time trial game mode. Anything short of a complete redo would probably be wasted dev time.

On the topic of random dungeons.I remember Anarchy Online having a mission system where you get your randomly generated dungeon each mission you do.Those dungeons were extremely repetitive, but it could actually be a neat idea as long as it's not just made out of square rooms put together, but a bit more naturally looking.There are a lot of doors around Tyria that could be used for it.The bounty system also shows a neat way of generating bosses with random abilities.

But that said, I'm not convinced it's actually needed or if people would even use it.

About modernizing dungeons though... That'd be nice.Dungeons have deterred some of my friends from playing GW2 back in the days and probably keep doing so for other people.So I think it would probably be good and worthwhile to overhaul them despite fractals existing.

Archived