What does "late" (timezone) refers to?

SkyShroud.2865

Often people like to use terms like late NA, late eu, late sea, late ocx but what timing exactly are those?

I am pretty sure not everyone has a common understanding what "late" here refers to and pretty sure again that everyone is just making assumption of what people are saying when they use that term.

So, what exactly is "late" here? In its exact timing.

Generally somewhere between 10 PM and midnight for that time zone. It varies greatly depending on region, especially NA since we have four time zones for the 48 contiguous states. In this context, there isn't a clear and concise definition for what late means. Late is the time when a majority of the people in that region start logging off so those that stay up are staying late.

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:So, what exactly is "late" here? In its exact timing.See your earlier commentI am pretty sure not everyone has a common understanding what "late" here refers to and pretty sure again that everyone is just making assumption of what people are saying when they use that term.

There's no set definition. It's a good way to generate missed signals, to expect others to use jargon the exact same way as ourselves.(mind you: it does no good to say so. people still use "hardcore" and "casual" and "elitist" as if everyone agrees what those mean, too)

• 2 weeks later...

If there is no set definition, why people keep using it then? Isn't it very misleading?

As far as I am aware, many EST people call past 10pm as late.

But SEA people would say past 11pm or 12am as late.

I am sure there is certain common understanding of "late" relative to the people in different regions. But it is indeed puzzling why people think the "late" timing applies the same to people across the world.

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:If there is no set definition, why people keep using it then? Isn't it very misleading?

I am sure there is certain common understanding of "late" relative to the people in different regions. But it is indeed puzzling why people think the "late" timing applies the same to people across the world.

To a 50 year old, late is past 10:00 pm in whichever time zone they live. To a 18-25 y/o late is after 2:00 am (yeah most it’s later) in their time zone.

There is an illogical logic behind it. Understanding it beyond that is a pointless waste of time.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:If there is no set definition, why people keep using it then? Isn't it very misleading?

To a 50 year old, late is past 10:00 pm in whichever time zone they live. To a 18-25 y/o late is after 2:00 am (yeah most it’s later) in their time zone.

There is an illogical logic behind it. Understanding it beyond that is a pointless waste of time.

My old parents sleep at 12am.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:If there is no set definition, why people keep using it then? Isn't it very misleading?

My old parents sleep at 12am.

Good for them. :smile:

tbh i generally only see "late" phrased around a certain guild/commander/group- eg someone may say late eu in that, an eu guild is tagging at 4am in their timezone... so even more confusion to the mess! haha.

the only real consistency i see is that if it's past 12am local people consider it late- which would fairly align with my observations of NA prime too (things really drop off around local 12am).

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:If there is no set definition, why people keep using it then?Because that's how language works and that's how people use language. Again, I draw your attention to the terms: casual, hardcore, elitist. There's no consensus about what any of that means, and yet people keep using them in discussions, ending up digression the conversation to the point no one remembers what the original idea was.

If you want to know what time people are playing, don't use the word "late." Be specific about the time.

• Good: "our static starts fractals at Reset + 2 hours. Interested in joining us?"
  • Bad: "our static starts raids early. Does that work for you?"

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:Often people like to use terms like late NA, late eu, late sea, late ocx but what timing exactly are those?

I am pretty sure not everyone has a common understanding what "late" here refers to and pretty sure again that everyone is just making assumption of what people are saying when they use that term.

This is not hard to figure out....

When someone says "late" they are referring to the time where most people in THEIR time zone are sleeping... There is no defined "time exactly", but there are times of no sunlight where most are sleeping and would be considered "late".

Have you ever told someone "it's getting late, I have to sleep."?

Does this give you a better understanding or no?

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:Often people like to use terms like late NA, late eu, late sea, late ocx but what timing exactly are those?

When someone says "late" they are referring to the time where most people in THEIR time zone are sleeping... There is no defined "time exactly", but there are times of no sunlight where most are sleeping and would be considered "late".

And the time is?

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Often people like to use terms like late NA, late eu, late sea, late ocx but what timing exactly are those?

And the time is?

time is an illusion

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Often people like to use terms like late NA, late eu, late sea, late ocx but what timing exactly are those?

And the time is
irrelevant
?

Fixed that for you.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

And the time is?

You should reread my post...

Also, I want you to answer a few questions...

Most humans go to bed at night or daytime?

Do people usually say “It’s getting dark so I’m going to bed.” Or “ it’s light out and getting early so I’m going to bed.”?

Do you think most people living on the US west coast would say it’s late or early in the middle of the night?

Do you think there are more or less EU players playing gw2 wvw in the middle of their night when most people are sleeping?

Do you think there are more or less US players playing gw2 wvw in the middle of their night when most people are sleeping?

...When people talk about late or early they are talking about their time zone. It’s easy to forget there are all different time zones... I suggest you familiarize yourself with world time zones and try to understand what more people would consider “late” for them.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/time-zones-history.html

@Swagger.1459 said:

And the time is?

Do people usually say “It’s getting dark so I’m going to bed.” Or “ it’s light out and getting early so I’m going to bed.”?

Do you think most people living on the US west coast would say it’s late or early in the middle of the night?

Do you think there are more or less EU players playing gw2 wvw in the middle of their night when most people are sleeping?

Do you think there are more or less US players playing gw2 wvw in the middle of their night when most people are sleeping?

...When people talk about late or early they are talking about their time zone. It’s easy to forget there are all different time zones... I suggest you familiarize yourself with world time zones and try to understand what more people would consider “late” for them.

i don't live where you live or do i know what is your culturehow does me or anyone who don't belong to your or anyone's regions would know what time does the people there sleep at?

the world doesn't revolve around a group of people and use that group of people as standardsome places in the world sleep at 9pmsome places in the word sleep at 12amsome places in the world sleep at 2am

so what time is it?

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

And the time is?

i don't live where you live or do i know what is your culturehow does me or anyone who don't belong to your or anyone's regions would know what time does the people there sleep at?

the world doesn't revolve around a group of people and use that group of people as standardsome places in the world sleep at 9pmsome places in the word sleep at 12amsome places in the world sleep at 2am

so what time is it?

Again...

"You should reread my post...

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/time-zones-history.html"

Archived