Plat level deadeyes of pvp. What's your rotation strat?

TorQ.7041

Got fed up of being the de cap monkey. Been playing alot on deadeye basically to use the massive dps to take out this frustration of weak melee thief in pvp on other classes. Feels good.

Question is. What decisions do you think got you to plat? Since DE is very different than de-cap monkey. Any advice would be great.

(Not talking about basic stuff like not fighting unwinnable fights, kiting and when to de cap or full cap. I think those should be basic things gold level players should already know)

DE isn't any different compared to DrD and core thief specs.

It is same +1/decap role with a potential to actually zerg-kill ppl in 1v1. I feel that there are no unwinnable fights.

Just master your burst sequence, try different weaponsets, take meta deadeye build and learn how to use rifle4 and mercy. You'll be okay in the plat with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input.

I see. decapping feels alot slower with out swiftness and shortbow. I feel like outputting dps is more important for DE than s/d. Maybe I am wrong on that but it feels like games I win are the ones when I get to shoot as much as possible

For reference I am mid- high gold depending on the day of the week. Always just a few games away. Can't seem to break into plat.

I don't have any problems 1v1 so I feel mechanically I am ok. I run hitzer's build with power sig and rfi.

One scenerio I have problems with right now are half the games I get my team wipes and I am always outnumbered even when I one shot the necro at mid right away. That might be because of unfavourable comp.

As s/d or d/p I wud basically decap to make their team split. But as DE, the mobility is so much slower, that's diffcult to achieve.

Going far wud make me outnumbered and with out the mobility. It makes it hard to go back to mid to help. But waiting for respawn to help mid might not be that great since the same thing is likely to happen again.

It's mainly these games I lose the most. When my team dies too quickly. But since I m not core. It's hard to stagger the opposing team thru decapping.

• 3 weeks later...

A little advice, although I haven't played much this season.

• Find a nice central point and hang out around that. You want to be somewhere you can support home/mid fights and reach objectives you want easily. Then, if you can decap you can do so once the enemy is staggered a bit. Coliseum is a good example because you can basically sit between mid and the sword and keep an eye on home/mid/sword/shield at the same time. You don't need to read the map if you can just see the enemy coming from a mile away.
  • Treat your role as more +1 than decap. It isn't too different from DrD but you do a lot more damage and have less mobility so the trade off should be hanging out where you are better able to +1.
  • As long as you can slow down an enemy it won't matter if you kill them or not. Players often won't be aware that their healer ally is getting killed a few feet behind their camera while they run to mid. Even if you just delay the healer it will help your team kill the other before the healer makes it to mid. And if they try to 2v1 you just stealth up and keep harassing your preferred target when they both try to leave. Decap if possible during that time. (Note: if your ally comes to "help" you should revert to +1 and rotate back towards the central position).

@"saerni.2584" said:A little advice, although I haven't played much this season.

• Find a nice central point and hang out around that. You want to be somewhere you can support home/mid fights and reach objectives you want easily. Then, if you can decap you can do so once the enemy is staggered a bit. Coliseum is a good example because you can basically sit between mid and the sword and keep an eye on home/mid/sword/shield at the same time. You don't need to read the map if you can just see the enemy coming from a mile away.
  • Treat your role as more +1 than decap. It isn't too different from DrD but you do a lot more damage and have less mobility so the trade off should be hanging out where you are better able to +1.
  • As long as you can slow down an enemy it won't matter if you kill them or not. Players often won't be aware that their healer ally is getting killed a few feet behind their camera while they run to mid. Even if you just delay the healer it will help your team kill the other before the healer makes it to mid. And if they try to 2v1 you just stealth up and keep harassing your preferred target when they both try to leave. Decap if possible during that time. (Note: if your ally comes to "help" you should revert to +1 and rotate back towards the central position).

Yeah that's some solid advise. I ve been coming to a similar conclusion lately and having a better win rate.

I would even argue it's ok to take even fights at mid if it's a favored match up. One thing I ve been doing now is really constantly sniping the necro. Since it really only takes a few seconds to down them. Consistently sniping them takes alot of pressure off the team. N the way it is right now. There's always a scourge some where.

I’d add that for “my team was vaporized” there are two things you can try:

• See if you can pull a couple off mid towards far. Don’t try hard to decap. They just won the fight and may get sloppy and if two people follow you can at least make things easier for your teammates on respawn. You need to balance between invisibility for survival and visibility to draw them to follow you. So many people see thief and are tempted by our soft squishy potential as a kill and get blinded by it.
  • You can try to identify the better target for your team to focus. Say the team wiped because Holo wrecked them. You need to get your team hitting the high risk targets and making it easier for them to do so. So many teams that wipe never focus the rev, soulbeast, Deadeye/thief or holo that is literally chunking anyone they target. Necro or whatever won’t end up dead if they soak up your team’s DPS just long enough for their rev to burn down your team.

That said, you won’t always be able to get your team to focus targets and not insta die. Nature of the game. Can’t win them all. Sometimes the other team is just better skilled or comped than yours.

@saerni.2584 said:I’d add that for “my team was vaporized” there are two things you can try:

• See if you can pull a couple off mid towards far. Don’t try hard to decap. They just won the fight and may get sloppy and if two people follow you can at least make things easier for your teammates on respawn. You need to balance between invisibility for survival and visibility to draw them to follow you. So many people see thief and are tempted by our soft squishy potential as a kill and get blinded by it.
  • You can try to identify the better target for your team to focus. Say the team wiped because Holo wrecked them. You need to get your team hitting the high risk targets and making it easier for them to do so. So many teams that wipe never focus the rev, soulbeast, Deadeye/thief or holo that is literally chunking anyone they target. Necro or whatever won’t end up dead if they soak up your team’s DPS just long enough for their rev to burn down your team.

That said, you won’t always be able to get your team to focus targets and not insta die. Nature of the game. Can’t win them all. Sometimes the other team is just better skilled or comped than yours.

Thanks. Will take that into consideration.

Actually deadeye is little bit different than other thieves. It has huge burst and medium mobility.

• I focus on winning teamfights (bursting firebrand).
  • Second thing is dueling - u easily win vs warriorsk,guardians and eles, mesmer is 66%, ranger is about 50%( mayvbe with sp its higher chance).

@Urejt.5648 said:Actually deadeye is little bit different than other thieves. It has huge burst and medium mobility.

• I focus on winning teamfights (bursting firebrand).
  • Second thing is dueling - u easily win vs warriorsk,guardians and eles, mesmer is 66%, ranger is about 50%( mayvbe with sp its higher chance).

Thanks for the input been doing that lately. Mid fight. Almost there to plat now. A few games away.

For dueling. What's a good strat vs core guard? Feels like their focus4 which forces u to waste a dodge then sword 2 with 3 + focus 5 can 1 shot u if u fail to dodge using a uility. Their utility burning teleport into gs 2 or hammer 3-2 auto can also 1 shot, this is usually used in a sequence since they know u have used dodges after their focus 4 and their 1st burst. With shadow step and rfi gone i don't feel comfortable fighting after the cool downs r gone. In spots with Los I basically don't fight core guard.

The main only other class I have problems is core or dd thieves. In which once in melee I would purely use s/p. Wait for their sword 2 or do 3 to pistol whip. But that feels like they have to make a mistake.usually when they r on me. I just fight since I can't out run most of the time.

Mesmer n ranger I am ok with. Usually win using s/p. Waiting for their axe 3 n pistol whipping then usually does the trick.

if you're using my build then it's like urejt said, that build has better 1v1s and focus on winning the teamfights fast.

Your main role will be always +1 though. Deadeye has the enough damage to +1 any class in the game that's a big difference between sd dp and deadeye, you have to abuse that damage because it's a trade off for the mobility.

Core guardian is actually really easy to beat, just be sure that they don't see you coming. This is an advice for any class you're going to face always try to be in stealth so they don't see you coming. That's a huge advantage against anyone with a brain.My rotation against core guardian is pretty simple, stealth - mark - then you can choose between a 3 spam x2 or DJ they will dodge and panic if they don't use the elite or the heal by then use shadow meld and DJ again, they should be dead.

That was my rotation against guardians in general, FBs dies in that rotation as well if you're using the power signet. it's still a tough 1v1 that if im not sure i wouldn't take it.Against thieves is really easy tbh, abuse ur range s/d thief will instantly jump on you so you just have to put the mark on, use rifle 2 once and swap to sword pistol 3, that's an easy steal bait and 99% of the thieves do the same as soon as they see a deadeye, with s/p 3 quickness you should be able to proc instanst reflexes so you will have a huge advantage in the duel. if that's doesn't work try to get in spots they can't steal or teleport and in meele range spam pistol whip, if they get hit by 1 pistol whip with quickness is like half of the health or more if they don't have instanst reflexes.

@Elxdark.9702 said:if you're using my build then it's like urejt said, that build has better 1v1s and focus on winning the teamfights fast.

Your main role will be always +1 though. Deadeye has the enough damage to +1 any class in the game that's a big difference between sd dp and deadeye, you have to abuse that damage because it's a trade off for the mobility.

Core guardian is actually really easy to beat, just be sure that they don't see you coming. This is an advice for any class you're going to face always try to be in stealth so they don't see you coming. That's a huge advantage against anyone with a brain.My rotation against core guardian is pretty simple, stealth - mark - then you can choose between a 3 spam x2 or DJ they will dodge and panic if they don't use the elite or the heal by then use shadow meld and DJ again, they should be dead.

That was my rotation against guardians in general, FBs dies in that rotation as well if you're using the power signet. it's still a tough 1v1 that if im not sure i wouldn't take it.Against thieves is really easy tbh, abuse ur range s/d thief will instantly jump on you so you just have to put the mark on, use rifle 2 once and swap to sword pistol 3, that's an easy steal bait and 99% of the thieves do the same as soon as they see a deadeye, with s/p 3 quickness you should be able to proc instanst reflexes so you will have a huge advantage in the duel. if that's doesn't work try to get in spots they can't steal or teleport and in meele range spam pistol whip, if they get hit by 1 pistol whip with quickness is like half of the health or more if they don't have instanst reflexes.

@Elxdark.9702 said:if you're using my build then it's like urejt said, that build has better 1v1s and focus on winning the teamfights fast.

Thx. Also plz stream again and or make more vids. There's very little reference for DE on pvp. Watching your stuff was very helpful. Really helped me move from silver something to gold 3.

@TorQ.7041 said:

Thx. Also plz stream again and or make more vids. There's very little reference for DE on pvp. Watching your stuff was very helpful. Really helped me move from silver something to gold 3.

I will try, my schedule is really messed up at the moment but I want to start streaming again at least twice a week.Also after the patch the s/p build critical strikes is worse against guardians since DJ is blockable now so the advice I gave you isn't valid anymore :/You can also watch dDbuff, he plays deadeye in EU and I will probably play his build this season.

For me, its usually playing like an interceptor. Since I don't have the same mobility to keep up with an enemy thief, I didn't try to keep up. Which was my play style way before thief got shoehorned into the current role.

I focused on reading the map, predicting paths and killing the squishies in the ally ways. If theres a point along the way, Id decap iflt if I am close and theres no one elae going after it.

Periodically Id bounce around and +1, or Id use scorpion wire to drag off healthy enemies from the brawl, veat them up without worrying about killing and leave the moment my team is a man up to go take a cap.

If I am running by a fight with no intent on joining. Id swap my skills and give them a skelks venom to give them some HP back with additional damage

@Elxdark.9702 said:

I will try, my schedule is really messed up at the moment but I want to start streaming again at least twice a week.Also after the patch the s/p build critical strikes is worse against guardians since DJ is blockable now so the advice I gave you isn't valid anymore :/You can also watch dDbuff, he plays deadeye in EU and I will probably play his build this season.

If possible can you put them as videos :D on a different time zone. Not always able to watch.

Yeah the nerf sucks. I relied most on DJ to get the big dmg in vs guards. There's a new Dragon Hunter build going around at plat lvl. With the f3 having extra blocks. The spear keeps revealed on. It's pretty nasty.

Any thoughts on m7 and eagle runes? Basically since October nerf and runes update. I ve been testing using bountiful theft m7 and switching lesser haste with thrills. Your original post relied alot on be quick or be killed with power n preci with haste. But since nerf can't spam skill 3 any more. Won't be enough int to finish with the last shot even with power sig. Eagle runes also feel more appropriate now even the precision nerf on silent scope and the +10% dmg is nice to finish off players

Also alot of players have good reflexes to dodge instantly so the window for the quickness spam is too small.

With m7. It allows u to keep shooting. While bountiful allows u to rip protection etc off of them. I also find the vigor to be very useful if focused. Some times I do take lesser haste for that burst but find the quicker might and fury to allow me to last longer and down more players. Esp in a team fight. The extra Int on m7 allows either more skill 3 or 4 to move around.

Will try watch his stuff. I mainly like watching ur stuff because it's very fluid.

Archived